Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male Overpronator - need new shoes - advice please?

Options
  • 14-05-2013 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

I've had gait analysis done by Elverys in Limerick and again last year in Buckley's in Cork.
    I have quite flat feet/flat arches and I'm a moderate (but not severe) overpronater.
    When I started running 2.5 years ago, Elverys suggested Asics Gel Foundation 9.
    These were supportive but gave me bad blisters on my arches during races and long runs.
    When they wore out, I tried Asics Gel Foundation 10s which were comfortable, but still caused some blisters on my arches.
    Following a trip to John Buckley's last year and telling them all this, I was recommended Brooks Adrenaline GTS 12.
    These immediately cured my blister problem and I've clocked up a few hundred miles in them.
    I trained for and completed the DCM'12 in them with no real issues.
    I found them to be a good shoe, but I don't think they're quite supportive enough and I ended up putting some light arch supports into
    them. After DCM I had some calf and ankle pain and tendonitis. Physio thinks the shoes may not quite control the motion enough.

I'm a fairly heavy runner - 85kg and do mostly 3-10 mile runs on tarmac.
    My old Brooks need replacing now.

What woud people recommend ? Brooks Adrenaline GTS 13, Mizuno Wave Alchemy? New Balance 940?
    I'm not sure I need Brooks Beasts?

Any advice appreciated.
    MtM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

sorry mods - posted to wrong forum, can you please move to the gear and Equipment section please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Unless you are an extreme over pronator the Brooks Adrenaline should be doing the job for you.

Did the calf problems and tendonitis come after you put the extra support into the shoe? What is your background, are you generally doing low mileage (3-10) and ramping up seasonally for marathon?

The GTS13 is the new GTS12 so no changes really. The Beast is a motion control shoe and you could compare it with the ASICS Foundation / Evolution or Mizuno Alchemy. The Saucony Stabil is a good option as its a control shoe without the weight and bulk of the Beast.

Did the calf problems and tendonitis come after you put the extra support into the shoe? What is your background, are you generally doing low mileage (3-10) and ramping up seasonally for marathon?

Hi amphkingwest - you are correct, my mileage is generally low (10-20 miles per week), but ramps up during the year for half marathon and marathon training. I had no real problems until after Dublin last year. The arch cushions are the thin light felt self-adhesive type ones that I got at Foot Solutions. My feet just felt much better with them in - less arch pain after training runs leading up to DCM.

A few weeks after Dublin, when I went back training, I had the calf and ankle burning problems, (tendonosis) as well as jumper's knee - Chondromalacia Patella. The calf and ankle are better but not 100% now, but the knee can still be sore at times. From talking to my Physio, I'm just thinking that I need that bit more support without going for the full control of the likes of the Beast.

Thanks for the advice on the Saucony Stabil - it would be worth trying out alongside the GTS13. Are there any other shoes worth trying out that lie in between Brooks GTS13 and the Beast in terms of motion control and stability?

Cheers, MtM

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

Hi there, stumbled across this thread by accident. I'm also currently running in Brooks GTS12's and so far have found them to be the best shoe. I've tried Asics Kayano's and had bad medial Knee Pain when wearing them, Nike Lunarglides did OK but did not like the feel of them. Again it was John Buckley who put me in the Brooks and up until now I've been very happy. Recently as I started increasing my weekly mileage for Half Mar training i'm getting Shin Splints on the inside of right shin. I know I'm a modearte over-pronator but like yourself I'm at a crossroads where to go from here.

@ Amphibian King West..........I was thinking of making the trip to Oranmore in next few weeks to consider different shoes, what would your opinion be before I make the trip?

Hi amphkingwest - you are correct, my mileage is generally low (10-20 miles per week), but ramps up during the year for half marathon and marathon training. I had no real problems until after Dublin last year. The arch cushions are the thin light felt self-adhesive type ones that I got at Foot Solutions. My feet just felt much better with them in - less arch pain after training runs leading up to DCM.

A few weeks after Dublin, when I went back training, I had the calf and ankle burning problems, (tendonosis) as well as jumper's knee - Chondromalacia Patella. The calf and ankle are better but not 100% now, but the knee can still be sore at times. From talking to my Physio, I'm just thinking that I need that bit more support without going for the full control of the likes of the Beast.

Thanks for the advice on the Saucony Stabil - it would be worth trying out alongside the GTS13. Are there any other shoes worth trying out that lie in between Brooks GTS13 and the Beast in terms of motion control and stability?

Cheers, MtM
    tommyh1977 wrote: »
    Hi there, stumbled across this thread by accident. I'm also currently running in Brooks GTS12's and so far have found them to be the best shoe. I've tried Asics Kayano's and had bad medial Knee Pain when wearing them, Nike Lunarglides did OK but did not like the feel of them. Again it was John Buckley who put me in the Brooks and up until now I've been very happy. Recently as I started increasing my weekly mileage for Half Mar training i'm getting Shin Splints on the inside of right shin. I know I'm a modearte over-pronator but like yourself I'm at a crossroads where to go from here.

@ Amphibian King West..........I was thinking of making the trip to Oranmore in next few weeks to consider different shoes, what would your opinion be before I make the trip?

Guys, the issues both of you are having are most likely down to the increases in mileage on shoes that are gradually getting older with use.

A common cause of shin splints is overuse or changes in volume or varying terrain. (there are other causes but I'm not Dr. Google!)

It may work better to rotate in a newer pair of shoes for the longer runs and retain the older shoes for short stuff going forward. Obviously hard to say without seeing either of you running & discussing your training history etc.

Happy to take a phone call to discuss before you do any travel as anything here is conjecture and assumption on the cause of the niggles.

• Advertisement

Thanks amphkingwest,

I was passing a running shop at the weekend and tried a Saucony shoe.
    I believe it was the Guide 6 though, as they didn't have the Stabil. They felt very good on my feet the moment I tried them on - though a little narrower fitting than the Brooks I thought.

The shop assistant didn't know if they were more or less motion controlling than the Brooks GTS13s.
    Do you have any opinion on this?

Finally, the Guides mention that there is an 8mm offset from the heel to the forefoot - I'm not sure what this means, if its important, or how it compares to the Brooks?

MtM

Thanks amphkingwest,

I was passing a running shop at the weekend and tried a Saucony shoe.
    I believe it was the Guide 6 though, as they didn't have the Stabil. They felt very good on my feet the moment I tried them on - though a little narrower fitting than the Brooks I thought.

The shop assistant didn't know if they were more or less motion controlling than the Brooks GTS13s.
    Do you have any opinion on this?

Finally, the Guides mention that there is an 8mm offset from the heel to the forefoot - I'm not sure what this means, if its important, or how it compares to the Brooks?

MtM

The Guide 6 is a lighter, less controlling shoe than the Adrenaline GTS13. The Stabil would be pretty close to the Beast except quite a bit lighter.

The 8mm referrs to the difference between the height of the heel and the height of the forefoot. Its nothing to do with the thickness of the sole, rather the alignment of the foot within the shoe.

Most shoes are 10-12mm differential, Saucony (except the Stabil) are now all 8mm in their technical shoes, 4mm in racers / minimalist etc.

By lowering the heel to toe ramp you are moving the point of maximum landing force forwards in the shoe by approx 3cm for every 4mm drop. This reduces the point load at the heel and allows better distribution of the landing force through the mid-foot or fore-foot depending on your gait.

Don't get too hung up on it as for the majority of people it's not a huge factor in deciding on shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

Guys, the issues both of you are having are most likely down to the increases in mileage on shoes that are gradually getting older with use.

A common cause of shin splints is overuse or changes in volume or varying terrain. (there are other causes but I'm not Dr. Google!)

It may work better to rotate in a newer pair of shoes for the longer runs and retain the older shoes for short stuff going forward. Obviously hard to say without seeing either of you running & discussing your training history etc.

Happy to take a phone call to discuss before you do any travel as anything here is conjecture and assumption on the cause of the niggles.

Thanks for your opinion, going to head up to you in Oranmore in next few weeks, need to get the best fit once and for all.

Advertisement