Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Withholding tax...refund?

Options
  • 14-05-2013 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭

I have a foreign based landlord so I contacted revenue and they withhold 20% of my rent at source (25 euro per week). Monthly rent is 500. This has been happening for the last 2 years.

I worked this out and I am having 1300 euro a year deducted a year when by my calculations it should be 1200....
    What I am wondering is, would it be possible to get a refund on this money?
    How likely is this given peoples experiences with revenue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

gmisk wrote: »
    I have a foreign based landlord so I contacted revenue and they withhold 20% of my rent at source (25 euro per week). Monthly rent is 500. This has been happening for the last 2 years.

I worked this out and I am having 1300 euro a year deducted a year when by my calculations it should be 1200....
    What I am wondering is, would it be possible to get a refund on this money?
    How likely is this given peoples experiences with revenue?

25 a week would mean your monthly rent is € 541.25

Do you pay rent by the week or the month ? What does your contract say ?

Many people make the error of calculating a months rent as 4 weeks when its actually 4.33 weeks. If I were betting Id say this is what your doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

D3PO wrote: »
    25 a week would mean your monthly rent is € 541.25

Do you pay rent by the week or the month ? What does your contract say ?

Many people make the error of calculating a months rent as 4 weeks when its actually 4.33 weeks. If I were betting Id say this is what your doing.

I think he's saying his monthly rent is 500, but revenue are taking 25 a week(rather than 23 euro or what ever it is), so they are taking too much.

Ritchi wrote: »
    I think he's saying his monthly rent is 500, but revenue are taking 25 a week(rather than 23 euro or what ever it is), so they are taking too much.

and I think his rent is 125 per week and he thinks his monthly rent is 500 because he is multiplying his weekly rent by 4 when its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ritchi wrote: »

Thats what I mean exactly...apologies I could have worded it better (my monthly rent is 500) Well 400 paid directly to the landlord

gmisk wrote: »
    Thats what I mean exactly...apologies I could have worded it better (my monthly rent is 500) Well 400 paid directly to the landlord

I don't know what form or whatever you filled out or how it works but Id ring the revenue then.

Somebody somewhere has put the figure down somewhere as 100 a week rather than 400 a month.

TBH Its moot anyway. Its not your money to be refunded its the landlords so you wouldn't be entitled to it anyway so really it would be up to the landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

D3PO wrote: »
    Its not your money to be refunded its the landlords so you wouldn't be entitled to it anyway so really it would be up to the landlord.

Actually it sounds like he's paying the landlord 80% directly and then Revenue are witholding the money directly from him at source before he's paid. They should be withholding €100 a month from his pay directly, but they're on averge witholding €108.33 because someone in revenue can't do their sums.

So it is his money, from the sound of it. €100 is not moot at all.

Actually it sounds like he's paying the landlord 80% directly and then Revenue are witholding the money directly from him at source before he's paid. They should be withholding €100 a month from his pay directly, but they're on averge witholding €108.33 because someone in revenue can't do their sums.

So it is his money, from the sound of it. €100 is not moot at all.

ah I had a brain fart. My bad you are of course correct. OOps.

Id ring the revenue so OP

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I rang revenue....I think I am more confused than when I started, he started mentioning rent tax credits changing etc.......so I am totally lost now tbh.
    He did give me an email address for my regional office so I might just contact them directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Generally it is the tenant who withholds the tax and pays it to Revenue rather than paying the full amount to the landlord. What payments are Revenue making to you that they are deducting it from? It is unusual for a taxpayer to receive regular payments from Revenue. Or do you mean that they have reduced your tax credits to get your employer to collect the tax from your pay? Have up got your statement of tax credits to hand?

Advertisement