Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aero practice

Options
  • 14-05-2013 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

First time on a tt bike last Saturday. Headed out for a planned 2 hour spin with the hope of getting down on the aero bars as much as possible.
    Didn't manage to stay in the position longer than 30 secs and turned for home after about 40 mins as the second hail shower broke me.
    Big wake up call as to how hard it was to handle the bike while in the aero position and the wind and bumps on the road did nothing for my confidence.

Can anyone suggest a decent route preferably in the South Dublin area that would allow a novice to practice which is reasonably safe?
    Not investing in a turbo until Winter so that's out.
    Previous route was Stillorgan to just past Enniskerry, definitely not ideal.

Any and all suggestions welcome....

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Have you had a proper bike fit on this TT bike - 30 seconds before pain sets in is pretty poor. The turbo wont be a huge help anyways, I can stay down on the bars on the turbo for as long as I want but not so good on the road.

I was recommended to work on my core with plank and side planks which did help a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

CW it's handling which is the problem :rolleyes:

I used to go up and down the N11 from Bray to Newcastle. Nice wide hard shoulder and rolls nicely for TT tempo efforts. Just watch the cars in and out of the garages in Kilmacanogue, thats a blind spot and they'll take you off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MalDoc

catweazle wrote: »
    Have you had a proper bike fit on this TT bike - 30 seconds before pain sets in is pretty poor. The turbo wont be a huge help anyways, I can stay down on the bars on the turbo for as long as I want but not so good on the road.

I was recommended to work on my core with plank and side planks which did help a lot

Yep got a bike fit. Sorry I should have been clearer, no pain whatsoever.
    Just no confidence when down on the bars.

CW it's handling which is the problem :rolleyes:

I used to go up and down the N11 from Bray to Newcastle. Nice wide hard shoulder and rolls nicely for TT tempo efforts. Just watch the cars in and out of the garages in Kilmacanogue, thats a blind spot and they'll take you off the road.

Cheers, that looks like a decent stretch on the map anyway.
    I'll have another crack at it this Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

MalDoc wrote: »
    Yep got a bike fit. Sorry I should have been clearer, no pain whatsoever.
    Just no confidence when down on the bars.

My first spin on the TT bike was a very nervous 20min in the Phoenix Park, terrified of letting go of the brake levers, and completely unable to look behind me to check for traffic. It'll come.

Unfortunately I can't recommend anywhere on the southside as I wouldnt be familiar enough with the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Get used to staying on the bars while being passed by cars, on **** roads and in the wind and rain.... these are race conditions in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Really the only way around it is to practice, practice, practice. Start off going out for an hr and perhaps 4x5mins in tt position and build it out from there. Before long your confidence will be flying and you will be wondering what all the fuss was about.
    Happens to most people starting out on the tt for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mloc123 wrote: »
    Get used to staying on the bars while being passed by cars, on **** roads and in the wind and rain.... these are race conditions in Ireland.

I commuted on my first TT bike for two weeks after I bought it. Terenure to Santry.

Strangely enough after that I've not had issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

tunney wrote: »
    I commuted on my first TT bike for two weeks after I bought it. Terenure to Santry.

Apart from the strange incident of the bus in the night!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

First time on a tt bike last Saturday. Headed out for a planned 2 hour spin with the hope of getting down on the aero bars as much as possible.
    Didn't manage to stay in the position longer than 30 secs and turned for home after about 40 mins as the second hail shower broke me.
    Big wake up call as to how hard it was to handle the bike while in the aero position and the wind and bumps on the road did nothing for my confidence.

Can anyone suggest a decent route preferably in the South Dublin area that would allow a novice to practice which is reasonably safe?

Thanks

Nothing wrong with that route!
    You pass by my gaff and tis my local loop section up there - take a left at lights in Kiltiernan, down a few gentle hills to roundabout - hang a right, along another section and right at junction followed by immediate right up hill past golf course.
    Leads you into Enniskerry then with some nice rolling sections, some good road surface, some crap road surface.
    You can turn right at t junction up top and return back to kiltiernan and repeat then if you like.
    Perfect TT practice loop imo and I'm on it frequently - few sections very useful for incline intervals.

As Jackyback says - sounds like you just need a bit more time on the TT bike.
    Head out and by all means stay up on the outside bars as much as you need. Gradually you'll use the TT bars more and get used to it.
    Don't worry it comes.
    Practice defo helps though - I use my TT bike year round - prob twice on average a week and am more comfortable in TT bars than anything else.

May see you out there. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 ciah

I had a similar issue getting used to aerobars + forward seat post on my road bike.
    Did the following.
    • Headed out early on weekend mornings when there was little traffic around. A few loops of Stepaside - Enniskerry worked well. The other good loop is on N11 from Kilmacanoge going south – through Glen of the Downs – turn around at junction just before road changes to motorway.
    • Used my bike in aero mode for 40k daily work commute.
    After a while it became second nature, was not bothered by traffic and could drink and feed in aero position.

As I was training for IM distance, the aero position was not too aggressive which may have helped. Was easier on the neck and lower back.

What sort of aerobar height adjustment do people typically make for distances from sprint out to IM distance? Appreciate that it is very much an individual thing and depends on flexibility, age etc. Am thinking of investing in a TT bike in the near future and would like to know more about how bikefit changes for different race distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

if you keep the tri bars wide apart they give you more stability at the beginning.
    So put them on as far apart until you feel stable and than get narrower over time ,as you get more stable.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    if you keep the tri bars wide apart they give you more stability at the beginning.
    So put them on as far apart until you feel stable and than get narrower over time ,as you get more stable.

Why would you want to get narrower and narrower over time? Its not always faster. Just like lower isn't always faster either.

mloc123 wrote: »

Ha, yeah. A harsh reality that became apparent very quickly. :) It'll be a long time before I do another tri on closed roads in 30 degree heat.....

tunney wrote: »

I considered this but the surface is chronic in places and I feel I'd only destroy the bike. I get myself in enough trouble as it is on the mountain bike.

Fazz wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with that route!
    You pass by my gaff and tis my local loop section up there - take a left at lights in Kiltiernan, down a few gentle hills to roundabout - hang a right, along another section and right at junction followed by immediate right up hill past golf course.
    Leads you into Enniskerry then with some nice rolling sections, some good road surface, some crap road surface.
    You can turn right at t junction up top and return back to kiltiernan and repeat then if you like.
    Perfect TT practice loop imo and I'm on it frequently - few sections very useful for incline intervals.

As Jackyback says - sounds like you just need a bit more time on the TT bike.
    Head out and by all means stay up on the outside bars as much as you need. Gradually you'll use the TT bars more and get used to it.
    Don't worry it comes.
    Practice defo helps though - I use my TT bike year round - prob twice on average a week and am more comfortable in TT bars than anything else.

May see you out there. Best of luck.

In time it will be a grand loop but not quite there yet. Perfect for hills as you say and glad it's on my doorstep.

ciah wrote: »
    I had a similar issue getting used to aerobars + forward seat post on my road bike.
    Did the following.
    • Headed out early on weekend mornings when there was little traffic around. A few loops of Stepaside - Enniskerry worked well. The other good loop is on N11 from Kilmacanoge going south – through Glen of the Downs – turn around at junction just before road changes to motorway.
    • Used my bike in aero mode for 40k daily work commute.
    After a while it became second nature, was not bothered by traffic and could drink and feed in aero position.

As I was training for IM distance, the aero position was not too aggressive which may have helped. Was easier on the neck and lower back.

What sort of aerobar height adjustment do people typically make for distances from sprint out to IM distance? Appreciate that it is very much an individual thing and depends on flexibility, age etc. Am thinking of investing in a TT bike in the near future and would like to know more about how bikefit changes for different race distances.

40K commute! Some nice free training right there.

peter kern wrote: »

They're probably as close as I'll ever have them. I figured it was as easy get used to an agressive set up from the get go as opposed to adjusting it a few times. Time will tell I guess.

Advertisement