Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Car Buying advice

Options
  • 14-05-2013 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on buying a new car?? how to get a good deal and what kind of haggling I can do.

I'm planning on getting a VW Passat 1.6 TDi comfort. I'm trading in a 2005 Golf 1.9 Tdi with 208000km on the clock and I'm getting €5200 for it. I'm planning on doing the VW solutions for the small monthly repayments I wouldn't be able to go new only for this and I'll have a car covered under warranty for 3 years. I was planning on getting just the reversing sensors and keyless entry as the extras

Also should I wait the 6 weeks for the 132 plate or does it matter??

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Just so you know your getting €5200 for a car that is averaging at €8k on the market at the moment. Add that €3k loss into the 3 year depreciation and credit you'll be tied into, and I don't see that as a good deal. Just my two cents.

As regards the plate, depends when you want to sell it. I'd be off the opinion that it will be meaningless after 3 to 5 years, as the depreciation would be leveled out by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I cannot see anyone offering near €8k for an 8 year old Golf diesel as a trade-in against a new Passat when here is a similar one being sold by a dealer for €6k: http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf/1.9-D/33213633123037210/ A main dealer will probably not even retail a car of that age so they will sell it on to the trade or a smaller dealer.

My advice OP is to try and sell the Golf privately, a diesel Golf is an easy car to sell privately and even if you got the same money as what the dealer is allowing you, it allows you to negotiate a straight deal discount off the new Passat and you have a nice deposit from the sale of the Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭kenny_david

thanks ironclaw and bazz26 for your comments I see both of your points.
    but wouldn't I be waiting a good while now for some to buy it these days??

Also I thought it was a pretty good price as the timing belt is due next service so your talking around €530 for that including a service (sorry I know I didn't include that in the original post). But I could be wrong??
    Now that I think about it 3Ks a lot but I still think it would be a while before I sell it

thanks ironclaw and bazz26 for your comments I see both of your points.
    but wouldn't I be waiting a good while now for some to buy it these days??

Also I thought it was a pretty good price as the timing belt is due next service so your talking around €530 for that including a service (sorry I know I didn't include that in the original post). But I could be wrong??
    Now that I think about it 3Ks a lot but I still think it would be a while before I sell it

If you factor the cost of a service + timing belt change into the selling price I still think you will be better off buying the new car without trading the Golf in. Tidy diesel Golfs are easy to sell so I would not imagine it taking that long to sell it provided it is priced right. There is a bit more leg work involved but financially you will be better off selling privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

MY14 goes in to production in Week 22 (this is week 20) and the Comfortline will get Park Distance Control, so if you are placing and order (rather than getting a vehicle from stock) it will have Park sensors as standard.

Price seems to be going up by just over €2,500 though!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Surely the new Passat is arriving early next year? Current model has been on sale since early 2005 although it got a facelift in 2010.

Advertisement