Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back To Work Chat - Is this ridiculous?

Options
  • 14-05-2013 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭

I was chatting to a friend yesterday who told me about a conversation that happened between him and his direct manager (who is also the HR manager). I thought the performance of the manager was woeful (especially for a HR professional) but I'd be interested to hear other opinions.

So, my friend was feeling unwell for a few days but still went to work. It was nothing serious just a bad cold - headache, slight fever, muscle ache etc. He didn't take any sick days because he works in a busy office and had a lot to do. He was able to live with the discomfort. After a few days of this, he started to feel nauseous at work and decided he best go home. This was at about 12:00. He told his manager that he has been suffering from a cold for a few days and needs to go home. He said he'd stay until lunch cover was over and then leave.

When he came back to work the following day, he had a back to work conversation as per company policy. His manager accused him of not having a cold because "she couldn't hear him sniffling". He assured her he felt unfit for work, but she kept coming back to the lack of sniffling. He tried to progress the conversation but the manager would not drop the sniffling issue.

I thought that was simply ridiculous for the manager to be preoccupied by such a trivial issue. He had most cold like symptoms except for the runny nose.

Was the manager correct to go down this line of questioning or it is crazy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

She is perfectly entitled to make medical diagnoses once she has fully examined him and her medical practice certs are all up to date. Otherwise she is just opening a whole can of issues.

Depending on how long he has worked there and what the outcome of the meeting has been would dictate the next step.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

He has worked there for 7 years, she for 1.5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Raise a grievance if necessary. A off the record chat might be an idea first though. It's important to manage up in any job and for all we know her dog died.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

No, the manager was definitely not correct. If there were concerns about regular absence through work because of illness, then there's other ways to go around it.

You don't directly question illnesses like that. You might see if there's underlying issues at work. If you do think someone is pulling a sicky regularly, then you might get the company doctor to give an opinion if it's regular, but you don't carry on like that.
    I thought the performance of the manager was woeful (especially for a HR professional)

As in this person is actually a HR manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Eoin wrote: »
    As in this person is actually a HR manager?

That is what was so surprising to me about it also. I can understand this type of carry on from a line manager who might be on a power trip, but a HR Manager is another issue.

My friend still can't believe he had a 10 minute talk with her about sniffles. It is almost comical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

He has worked there for 7 years, she for 1.5 years.

Doesn't make any difference to his case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Back to work interview, yeah, no problem, should be a quick chat with a follow up if there any issues.

Commenting on medical issues, way beyond the HR's remit.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ilovebiology

I was chatting to a friend yesterday who told me about a conversation that happened between him and his direct manager (who is also the HR manager). I thought the performance of the manager was woeful (especially for a HR professional) but I'd be interested to hear other opinions.

So, my friend was feeling unwell for a few days but still went to work. It was nothing serious just a bad cold - headache, slight fever, muscle ache etc. He didn't take any sick days because he works in a busy office and had a lot to do. He was able to live with the discomfort. After a few days of this, he started to feel nauseous at work and decided he best go home. This was at about 12:00. He told his manager that he has been suffering from a cold for a few days and needs to go home. He said he'd stay until lunch cover was over and then leave.

When he came back to work the following day, he had a back to work conversation as per company policy. His manager accused him of not having a cold because "she couldn't hear him sniffling". He assured her he felt unfit for work, but she kept coming back to the lack of sniffling. He tried to progress the conversation but the manager would not drop the sniffling issue.

I thought that was simply ridiculous for the manager to be preoccupied by such a trivial issue. He had most cold like symptoms except for the runny nose.

It is absolutely crazy. This "So called" HR manager had absolutely no right to speak to your friend like this. She is not a doctor, and cannot decide if your friend was genuinely sick or not.

If she wanted a medical opinion on your friend, she should have sent him to your employers doctor, not acting in such an unprofessional stupid manner.

Advertisement