Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We got many Periphery fans here?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

While they're good musicians and I like them to an extent, the vocals just grate after a while. They're just a tad 'whiny bit/screamy bit/whiny bit/screamy bit'. :D I got the first album a few years ago when it came out and while I like Bulb's playing, the overall sound just doesn't encourage me to keep listening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Passenger wrote: »
    While they're good musicians and I like them to an extent, the vocals just grate after a while. They're just a tad 'whiny bit/screamy bit/whiny bit/screamy bit'. :D I got the first album a few years ago when it came out and while I like Bulb's playing, the overall sound just doesn't encourage me to keep listening.

I know what you mean, when I first heard the stuff it was all instrumental, and I remember when they were having all the vocalist troubles getting started, it was ****ty. when I heard the finished product with Spencer, it took me ages to get used to his singing, but honestly I think he's grown a lot on me.

the second album is actually way better I think, worth giving another go? ;)

Links234 wrote: »
    I know what you mean, when I first heard the stuff it was all instrumental, and I remember when they were having all the vocalist troubles getting started, it was ****ty. when I heard the finished product with Spencer, it took me ages to get used to his singing, but honestly I think he's grown a lot on me.

the second album is actually way better I think, worth giving another go? ;)

I've really been meaning to check out the second album as it has John Petrucci and Guthrie Govan guesting on several tracks.

That song still isn't much of a departure from the first album, vocally. I'll give it another gander and see if repetition is the key to ingratiating them with me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

I enjoy what they do on a musical level but I feel they are let down by Spencers vocals. Personally I think Jake Veredikas more aggressive vocal style suited the band much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Passenger wrote: »

Kind of feel the same way from the little amount I've heard from them. Don't really enjoy the vocals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

I have been a massive fan since seeing em a couple of years back. The second album is a massive step forward in every area, including vocals. Plus they seem to improve so much every time I have seen em live. Nice guys also :)

What do you think of Tesseract, Links? They're quite similar in sound and I have to say I much prefer them to Periphery.

Listen to the Sax solo in this track. Very ambient.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I'm a huge Meshuggah fan, so these guys are always popping up. Their instrumental stuff was decent, but I wasn't a huge fan of their stuff with vocals, although I haven't heard their latest stuff. Will need to check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Tesseract have been one I've known about for ages, but never got around to checking out, sounds pretty cool Passenger ;)

the sax solo reminds me a tiny bit of Green Carnation

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Tesseract's new album is album of the year material, for me. Pure Prog Djent. The singer is a huge upgrade on some already excellent singers.

This is from their first album....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwBmhnkRGM8

Phenomenal band.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Afraid I'm in the same boat as other posters in here, the vocals just kill Periphery for me. Shame, as the write some excellent music!

Seeing as we're discussing bands of a djent-y variety, has any of ye heard of Exivious? They're a Dutch band with two members (Tymon and Robin) who had a stint in Cynic a few years back, drummer on the first album is the chap from Textures (another great djent band). Their new album ('Liminal') is out shortly and I cannot wait for it.

The first album is very jazzy in places (you can hear a massive Allan Holdsworth influence in some of the lead work), and is entirely instrumental. One of my fave records of the last decade :)

Seeing as we're discussing bands of a djent-y variety, has any of ye heard of Exivious? They're a Dutch band with two members (Tymon and Robin) who had a stint in Cynic a few years back, drummer on the first album is the chap from Textures (another great djent band). Their new album ('Liminal') is out shortly and I cannot wait for it.

The first album is very jazzy in places (you can hear a massive Allan Holdsworth influence in some of the lead work), and is entirely instrumental. One of my fave records of the last decade :)

Thanks for that band, PL. You're right about the Allan Holdsworth feel to the guitars, which is a very good thing. Gonna check out the rest of their stuff.

Advertisement