Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diffrence between Diet,Zero and Regular Coke

Options
  • 14-05-2013 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭

Okay so it looks like i may have to give up drinking Coke after 20 odd years im fairly addicted and have been told to switch to coke zero by the doc,

Can anyone tell me is it as bad as it was when i tasted it before and is there any other alternative, I don't like Water so don't say that lol and I can't have Lucozade either for the same reasons going mad

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Until I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 3 years ago, the thought of drinking anything other than regular Coke horrified me. I drank a lot of Lucozade as well, and while on their own they wouldn't have caused my diabetes, they certainly contributed to me being overweight, which did cause it. So like you I had to switch, and I've tried a lot of sugar free drinks since. Personally I think Coke Zero is probably the best, it's a lot closer to real Coke than Diet Coke and it didn't take long to get used to it. Diet Coke really shouldn't have the Coke name on it as the only similarity is the colour. Diet Pepsi isn't bad either, but if you want something a lot sweeter go for Pepsi Max. 7Up Free is pretty good too, and I actually prefer it to regular 7Up. It's certainly a lot better than Sprite Zero. Diet Club Orange actually contains a small bit of sugar from the fruit, but nothing worth worrying about and it's also quite tasty.

You say that you may have to give up drinking Coke, so I'm guessing that you have been diagnosed as pre-diabetic (whatever it is is your business btw, I'm not asking). If that's the case there's no "may" about it, switch now. Diabetes is a nuisance and if there's any way you can avoid it I suggest you do everything in your power to make that happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

+1
    Diet pepsi and Coke Zero are as tasty as sugary coke and Diet coke is muck.
    good to see someone else agrees.

Funny, just like Zaph prefers diet to normal 7up, I'd drink Diet Pepsi quicker than regular as I find it tastes better

Funny, just like Zaph prefers diet to normal 7up, I'd drink Diet Pepsi quicker than regular as I find it tastes better

Yeah, I always hated regular Pepsi, but the diet stuff isn't bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yeah well i've CFRD which is cystic fibrosis related diabetes so yeah been thinking of Coke Zero , Cos im allowed the fatty stuff but not the sugar so diet probaly wouldn't be for me at all ,

I go through something like 6 2 litre bottles a week , But yeah dreading stopping it

Coke Zero and Diet Coke are both sugar and calorie free, but the taste is drastically different. What I would say though is that that would be a lot of any diet drink to be drinking and they all contain artificial sweeteners. As the warning on packs of gum say, over consumption may have laxative effects. Don't say I didn't warn you! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭penzo

I switched from regular to diet drinks about 3 years ago to try lose weight, and you will almost definitely will get used to it, the sooner you switch the sooner you'll enjoy it.

sometimes I wish I didn't cos I actually can't drink regular now as the sugary taste almost makes me want to puke, but I often find myself drinking water as diet isn't an option. (particularly if you are at someones house or a restaurant with limited selection)

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

Coke Zero gives me dreadful headaches, I much prefer Diet Coke to any other soft drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jessicaxxx

im with you i hate water people never understand why i dont like it! I drink one can of coke a day love it so much i gave it up for over a year but went back drinking it again! i was drinking a lot of lucozade but i started to feel really dizzy and sick so i cut it out.

I think you should try coke zero its a lot better then diet coke but when you change over start drinking it with a lot of ice i find this helps, pepsi max is also ok. I find soda water and lime cordial very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Decided to go on the zero myself today. Initial impression is ok, added some ice to have it extra chilled. Hoping I keep liking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ninap

I go through something like 6 2 litre bottles a week ,

That's over 700 calories a day of nutrition-free sugary crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭5littleangels

coke zero is the best out of the low calorie drinks to me then 7up free and pepsi max.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Coke Zero gives me dreadful headaches, I much prefer Diet Coke to any other soft drink.
    Pepsi Max does that to me; it's awful. Makes you think about all the crap that's in these things.

I don't drink an awful lot of soft drinks but Diet Coke would be my preferred also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Ninap wrote: »
    That's over 700 calories a day of nutrition-free sugary crap.

thats nice I think i already know that, though and with CFRD I need all the calories i can get , People with CF have trouble putting on weight but the sugar is bad so its a delicate scale , no need to be all busy body about it sorry like

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Let's not get into a discussion about calories please - that's a subject better suited to the Nutrition & Diet forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lifestyle overhaul

For the last 4-5 years I consumed about 4 cans (at least) of diet coke daily. Decided to stop drinking it for a number of reasons,

1) I made a decision to clean up my diet in order to loose weight and had been told diet coke not only bloats you but aids weight gain.
    2) Noticed diet coke was effecting the colour of my teeth.
    3) Was using it for 'sugar rushes'.

I was without a doubt addicted. Brianregan09 I would advise you not to replace coke with a diet substitute as the negative results are very similar. The best thing to do is go 'cold turkey', it will not be easy but I can assure you it will be worth it. Suffered headaches for the first 5 days but after that experienced no craving for diet coke whatsoever. Have not drank diet coke (or any fizzy drink) for three weeks now and don't miss it one bit. Have lost weight and have noticed an improved in my skin. This is probably because I have replaced diet coke with water. I know you have said you don't like water but what about adding a sugar free cordial such as lemon?

Advertisement