Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet Broadband - Billing issue

Options
  • 14-05-2013 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hello all.

I have a question about a charge on my bill for a WiFi router. The router we have from Magnet is not a WiFi router. It is a standard (Fiber) router with no WiFi capability.

We (housemates and I) assumed that this was a standing charge for our router and never thought any more of it. We brought our own Wifi access point with us when we moved in and so never had any need to use the Magnet router as an access point. I know, we should have queried it earlier!

We have been with Magnet now for over 18 months and in terms of broadband service we can have no complaints.

Now in the last few weeks I had been going through bills with my housemates to see if we could make any savings and decided to contact Magnet and ask about the WiFi router charge. I was told by them that we should not be getting charged for this and so it has now been removed from this months bill. So I asked for the previous charges to be refunded. Thing is they are refusing to refund any of the previous charges.

Here is a quote from one of the emails from Magnet -

"Customers have 21 days to query an invoice from date of issue and Magnet will not credit customers who do not notify Magnet of an issue with an invoice before it is paid."

So my question is where do I stand here? Do Magnet have the right to refuse crediting our account or reimbursing us? Is the small claims court my only option?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

I'd advise them under the Statue of Limitations you've six years to make a claim and that you feel there exclusion falls foul of the Unfair terms in consumer contracts regulations. That should be enough to get you put through to escalated service, if not threaten the small claims court.

Can you cancel and go with another provider? That's another way to generally get them to cave.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Grump3

Thanks for the advice.

I have replied to them and hope for a better response this time round. Going down the route of quoting Statue of Limitations/Unfair terms in consumer contract regulations first.

Will keep you posted.

Advertisement