Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm fresh eggs

Options
  • 14-05-2013 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭

any one know where i can get a regular supply of fresh eggs in the clane area...tanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Supervalu, Londis,Tesco or Lidl

To test for freshness:-

1. Fill a deep bowl or pan with enough cold tap water to cover an egg.
    2. Place the egg in the water.
    3. If the egg lies on its side on the bottom, the air cell within is small and it's very fresh.
    4. If the egg stands up and bobs on the bottom, the air cell is larger and it isn't quite as fresh.
    5. If the egg floats on the surface, it should be discarded.
    6. A very fresh egg out of the shell will have an overall thick white which doesn't spread much and the yolk will stand up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's a massive difference between acceptably fresh from a supermarket, which is all you've described; and actually fresh.

The one local producer I know of doesn't sell to the public directly, although as they deliver to shops themselves they're going to be significantly newer than something that's gone through a supermarkets distribution network for a day or two. Rathcore Hill is their name.

Would still prefer to get them directly from a farm but for the few I use its not practical.

Time for the blindfold test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

You could always get a couple of chickens. You could knock up a small run yourself cheaply if you've any handiwork skills and a couple of point of lay chicks cost about €15 each. Then you've a regular supply of the freshest eggs possible for years. I kept chickens in my back garden for a few years - can't beat the taste and you know exactly what's gone in to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

I keep chickens, 4 of them, they're very low maintenance and the odour is virtually nil. We get 4 fresh eggs every day and the omellettes, quiches, pastries and boiled eggs on toast are second to none. Yes, there is a massive difference between actually fresh and supermarket fresh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Danpad wrote: »
    I keep chickens, 4 of them, they're very low maintenance and the odour is virtually nil. We get 4 fresh eggs every day and the omellettes, quiches, pastries and boiled eggs on toast are second to none. Yes, there is a massive difference between actually fresh and supermarket fresh.

I do the same. Best thing we ever did. Really low maintenance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Joe Public wrote: »
    Supervalu, Londis,Tesco or Lidll.

meant straight from a chickens arse,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

ultraman1 wrote: »
    any one know where i can get a regular supply of fresh eggs in the clane area

hi ultraman did u get a supplier yet ?
    i may be able to help u but im not in the clane area
    how many eggs do you need a week ?

prob bout a dozen,,, lifes too short to eat tastless eggs

meant straight from a chickens arse,,,

Eggs don't go through a processing stage between the chicken and you and don't go off that fast either. The taste is subjective and it's still worth doing the
    blind test of maybe a good selection from the shop and farm direct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

i agree with u about tasteless eggs.
    unfortunately due to my location it just
    not worth it to me to supply you.
    best of luck in your quest for tasty eggs..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Joe Public wrote: »
    Eggs don't go through a processing stage between the chicken and you and don't go off that fast either. The taste is subjective and it's still worth doing the
    blind test of maybe a good selection from the shop and farm direct.

Eggs still take at least 7-10 days to hit the shelves of the supermarket despite no processing. During that time it becomes more liquid and loses some of its taste. Eggs direct from a farmer are no more than a day or two old. Eggs from your own hens are that days. There is no comparison between the taste of an home-laid egg and a supermarket one.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Anyone who thinks there isn't a taste difference clearly hasn't actually tried. If there was a "blind test", I think we can tell who'd get the answer wrong.

Most of the time I can tell as soon as I crack an egg open. The supermarket eggs don't have quite as rich and orange a yolk as the ones I collect from my chickens that very morning. Having said that, for obvious reasons I haven't bought eggs in a long, long time but I'd bet I could quite easily tell between days old eggs from a shop and eggs from my hens that morning.

To benefit from any extra nutrition in hens eggs they must be allowed run free on a big open area where they can eat whatever they fancy as hens tend to eat most things. They can also have the usual hen feeds of grain and corn etc.
    If they are in a small pen they will deplete the ground area fairly quickly and end up eating and drinking what they are given the same as indoor raised hens. The colour of the yolk doesn't indicate nutrition but just pigment from the diet. The eggs will taste fresher if you get them soon after laying but no guarantee they are any more nutritious than those purchased in shops.

I agree that fresh anything tastes better but after that it all levels out unless there is some extra nutritional benefit.

So, OP, we all agree that eggs laid that day will taste fresher and better.

found some for sale in maynooth,,will report for the eggsperts to mull over...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

found some for sale in maynooth,,will report for the eggsperts to mull over...

Do report back please. We have no hens since last week for the first time in four years, and miss the eggs badly already.

got some nice ones in the new shop in maynooth ,,,couple of doors down from mantra

Advertisement