Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which GAA club????

Options
  • 14-05-2013 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Ok so here's the deal. Neither my wife nor I are from Waterford originally so no family allegiance to any club. Where i grew up there were no choices that needed to be made about which club or school - there was only one. Living on Dunmore road, kids go to school in st Declan's. They have been going to hurling training on saturday mornings at Sacred Heart / Erin's Own. A few lads from their class go here to plus you only pay as you go which suits because they are still at the age where they can take it or leave it. I guess Ballygunner is probably our local club but they wouldn't know any of the boys there. So just looking for some feedback on the club scene in Waterford. Pros and cons of the different clubs. Do any play football as well as hurling. General advice really.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Lots of good clubs in Waterford city. Sacred Heart, Ballygunner, Mount Sion, Roanmore, De La Salle, Ferrybank and St. Saviours, all with good juvenile set ups. Ballygunner and De La Salle would have very big numbers to pick from. All of the clubs would play football (Ballygunner players play with Gaultier) but hurling is given priority in all the clubs bar St. Saviours (dual club). If I was you I would keep them going to Sacred Heart as its nice to play the games with your schoolmates and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

For hurling, both DLS and Ballygunner have excellent underage setups and brilliant facilities. DLS underage footballers have had more success than the hurlers in years past. If the kids go to St. Declans, they are bound to know someone that plays for DLS. The only downside is their Gracedieu pitch is a good bit out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've a lad in Ballygunner, there's a very good set-up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

There is an active thread on Waterford GAA discussion in the GAA forum...

However, if your son is in St.Declans, De La Salle would be your club, particularly if you aren't from Waterford and have no allegiances with other city clubs. St.Declan's and St Stephen's are DLS feeder schools.

DLS would have a very well respected underage setup, which is why the senior teams are top class also. Ballygunner would be well respected also. Half of the DLS players would live out on the Dunmore Road.

From my experience, Sacred Heart/Erin's Own wouldn't be as well run. Their teams wouldn't be anywhere near as good as DLS or Ballygunner, and they struggle to field teams on occasion.

Advertisement