Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone choice between 4.

Options
  • 14-05-2013 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hello I need some help moving to the world of smartphones, perhaps someone can help me out.

From my budget I have a can afford the following:
    HTC 1XL,
    Samsung SIII,
    Sony Experia Z or
    Sony Experia T.

Has anyone any experience in any of them or any recommendations.

All they will be used for is email checking, facebook, whatsapp, making calls (obviously) and occasional photos.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

random_guy wrote: »
    Hello I need some help moving to the world of smartphones, perhaps someone can help me out.

From my budget I have a can afford the following:
    HTC 1XL,
    Samsung SIII,
    Sony Experia Z or
    Sony Experia T.

Has anyone any experience in any of them or any recommendations.

All they will be used for is email checking, facebook, whatsapp, making calls (obviously) and occasional photos.

Thanks.

I'd swap that HTC with the HTC One as it's a far better phone.

The s3 is amazing in my opinion and have been a user for a year.

The One is also truly fantastic and a great return to form for HTC.

The Xperia Z is very good as phone, but rather block like to hold and use.

Forget the T, it's about to go end of line and all the other phones are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Having used my Xperia S(Basically last years Z) for a year and just switched to the S3 for the last three weeks I'd have to say its close. Both are very capable.

Reasons for the Z(based off S):
    Not AMOLED(too dim IMO)
    Better low light performance(but narrower FOV)
    USB Host
    Looks better
    Sony Home(lighter than touchwiz)

Reasons for the S3:
    Slim/Light
    Better software support
    Touchwiz features
    More accesories

If I was buying now it'd be an HTC One probably. Sony make lovely hardware but their developers are lazy at fixing bugs and slow to release everything which has left me disenchanted with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

How can your budget afford the xperia Z and not the Galaxy S4 or the HTC One? There's like a €30 difference on payg.

Definitely add these two to your shortlist and it will make your decision a whole lot easier.

How can your budget afford the xperia Z and not the Galaxy S4 or the HTC One? There's like a €30 difference on payg.

Definitely add these two to your shortlist and it will make your decision a whole lot easier.

Probably on contract deals, which the network will pick and chose options for.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If you're going to be buying a flagship Android, go for the Samsung GS4. By all accounts it has wiped the floor with HTC and Sony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

Hello,

thanks so far.

I'd actually be getting it on O2 Germany so the pricing scheme seems a little different.

As for prices they work out at:
    HTC 1XL €42/month,
    S3 €37/month,
    Experia Z €47/month (actually more than I had though for some reason so I think it rules it out).

For what it's worth the HTC One & S4 both come in at €50.
    If you're going to be buying a flagship Android, go for the Samsung GS4. By all accounts it has wiped the floor with HTC and Sony.

This is not yet available here. Or at least I don't see it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

random_guy wrote: »
    Hello,

thanks so far.

I'd actually be getting it on O2 Germany so the pricing scheme seems a little different.

As for prices they work out at:
    HTC 1XL €42/month,
    S3 €37/month,
    Experia Z €47/month (actually more than I had though for some reason so I think it rules it out).

For what it's worth the HTC One & S4 both come in at €50.

This is not yet available here. Or at least I don't see it.

Sorry I didn't realise you were buying it in Germany. I wouldn't have a clue about their pricing plans but it seems strange that the monthly cost varies depending on the handset unlike the once off payment we pay here depending on the handset value.

I'd also find it hard to believe that the S4 isn't available in Germany as it had a fairly global release.

But if you are stuck to that list now excluding the xperia Z I would have to go for the S3 because S3 owners can't really see much of a point in upgrading the S4 whereas HTC One X and Xl owners can't wait to get the HTC One.

Now this doesn't tell me that the HTC One is a better handset than the S4 it screams to me that the HTC One variants weren't upto scratch to begin with so they had more improvements to make.

And it ain't no accident that the S3 is the most successful Android handset to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sulc84

Samsung SIII

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

Ok, very good.
    Thanks for all the advice. I'll see what happens over the next few days/weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It might be worth hanging on for the Samsung Galaxy 4. By all accounts, it's got an ultra modern chipset, one of the best cameras on any phone and a wonderful screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

It might be worth hanging on for the Samsung Galaxy 4. By all accounts, it's got an ultra modern chipset, one of the best cameras on any phone and a wonderful screen.

From reading reviews, I'd say that's incorrect.

There seems to be a lot of love for the HTC One's screen, rated as better than the S4.
    I'm fairly sure I've read the One's camera is better as well though the S4 does have a bigger (and removable) battery and a faster processor.

One is significantly better in low light, which is where it matters, they all do fine in a sunny park in california.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Gryire

Why not have a look at Nexus 4

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭deco72

Hey I work in phone shop and def recommend either the HTC one or the S4. Both are fantastic phones and in the end it will go down to personal preference of which you think is the better one.

Advertisement