Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for someone to help record.

Options
  • 14-05-2013 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

Looking to record in Dublin city centre twice a week, for a couple of hours on weekdays between 9-5 during the summer. Ideal for someone trying to build up a portfolio & get a bit more recording experience.

I've been playing music for about 14 years now, been in several bands and have good experience with recording, as in, being the person playing and not the one pushing the button, adjusting microphones, levels etc.

No problems playing to a click track, good understanding of everything from the artist side, however i'm bad at everything to do with sound engineering.

As i'm a full time college student, this summer i will have some free time on my hands and what i'd really like to do is to get some recording done. I've always played bass on recordings with bands, but never had full creative control over the music. I have samples of lots of different riff ideas with bass or guitar, some with ukulele.

What i'm trying to do is record a riff, or a piece, and then begin to layer that with other instruments. i'll need someone who can record so i can get the general ideas "written down" past the stage of just one instrument. when i'm able to compose with rhythm, lead and percussion those ideas can then be jigsawed together.

I have toyed with the idea of making one long piece that lasts around 30 mins, or calling the recording an EP, or if it naturally goes that way making short instrumentals and calling them songs and if there are lots of them calling at an album. Not really too sure what way it will play out, just want to get started and see what comes of it.

This would be ideal for someone studying sound engineering and wanting to get some practice with recording drums, bass (electric, fretless and acoustic), electric guitar, acoustic guitar, ukulele, cajon, keyboard and maybe even some kazoo if the mood strikes!

I have access to a studio in Dublin city centre with instruments, amps, full drum kit, several different microphone types, effects pedals and some other recording equipment.

What i'm looking for is someone with good knowledge of recording with a laptop with some type of software that they're familiar with. We have a set-up so that everything can be plugged into the laptop. This would be ideal for someone looking to expand their portfolio. The style of music i'm aiming for could be called prog rock, will be playing around with timing, there will various affects used with pedals while recording but might also want the sound treated with the software, something like "play that part backwards" or "can you put an effect on the drums here" - so i'm interested to know what options are available on the software you are using.

I will be easy to work with. Hoping to find someone with a bit of drive and eager to help make something cool that they want to be proud of afterwards.

Let me know if anyone is interested along with what kind of experience they have and links to previous recordings.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Heartland

PM'd you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 yomamasallama

Just to clarify, i have no budget to pay anyone for this. Would be looking for someone at an amature/engineer-in-training level. I have a good level of recording experience on the musician end, a good range of equipment to use and a central location.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭gubber

PM sent

Advertisement