Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knocknacarra burglaries

Options
  • 14-05-2013 8:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

This is not on the www.galwaynews.ie website for some reason.
    A local burglary gang breaking into houses was caught by (up to) ELEVEN squad cars last weekend in the process of robbing a house in Knocknacarra.
    A number of things, first how did it get into the media? Eleven squad cars - were'nt Garda complaining there were only 5-7 in Galway? Painting walls with nail polish? Tagging?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

connacht.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

No doubt aided in part by the ever watchful local vigilante group that was formed recently. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Cleahaigh

Quick, to the Western Distributor Road!
    500full.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

They were released without charge? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

snubbleste wrote: »
    This is not on the www.galwaynews.ie website for some reason.
    A local burglary gang breaking into houses was caught by (up to) ELEVEN squad cars last weekend in the process of robbing a house in Knocknacarra.
    A number of things, first how did it get into the media? Eleven squad cars - were'nt Garda complaining there were only 5-7 in Galway? Painting walls with nail polish? Tagging?

Having been the victim of an attempted burglarly (officially recorded as criminal damage) over the Christmas, I'm glad any bunch of thieves has been caught.

I was taken aback by the eleven squad cars though. Proportional response? Overkill? Show of strength?

The nail polish was in the house already, presumably. If it wasn't that it would have been Tippex or whatever else happened to be lying around. The tags were allegedly of the "Westside" variety, hence pointing the accusatory finger at residents a certain suburb.

Ficheall wrote: »

Standard procedure, I would think.

Cleahaigh wrote: »
    Quick, to the Western Distributor Road!
    http://i500.listal.com/image/3204067/500full.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAgX6qlJEMc :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

snubbleste wrote: »
    "They were released Sunday evening without charge."

WTF??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Ficheall wrote: »

It allows the gardai time to assemble the evidence and the DPP to decide what to do. It's only with very serious charges (murder etc) that suspects are detained until trial.

Pity they didn't have a neighbourhood watch like the one out in Turloughmore that caught the kids brought down from Dublin to target a couple of houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Having been the victim of an attempted burglarly (officially recorded as criminal damage) over the Christmas, I'm glad any bunch of thieves has been caught.

I was taken aback by the eleven squad cars though. Proportional response? Overkill? Show of strength?

The nail polish was in the house already, presumably. If it wasn't that it would have been Tippex or whatever else happened to be lying around. The tags were allegedly of the "Westside" variety, hence pointing the accusatory finger at residents a certain suburb.

Standard procedure, I would think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAgX6qlJEMc :)

Not overkill. Just making sure they got them. Fair play to the Gardai. If they had arrived with one squad car we'd be giving them crap for not being prepared.

We give them a hard time when they screw up. Now that they've done a good job I think they should be commended.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I think a Garda's house must have been burgled to get that kind of response.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MaroonMafioso

one of them is a 3rd year in the bish. comes from a very very privileged upbringing and its strange to see that he has gotten himself into this kind of carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Cleahaigh

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQN4efYvDpWKhbQOgmzwcpF5cUBNPv__RfLtTy1FpB3CVm7jrve

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

one of them is a 3rd year in the bish. comes from a very very privileged upbringing and its strange to see that he has gotten himself into this kind of carry on.

ha, he could well be doing it as part of a school project!.. the Bish is known to be somewhat alternative in their teaching philosophy & practices, maybe it extends to extra-curricular activities!
    anyway, hope they get a nasty dose of some punishment so this doesn't gain any bragging credits with their peers!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MaroonMafioso

he has fallen in with the wrong crowd and is going through the new "traveller wannabe" phase.. it's very annoying to see young people acting like travellers. it leads to this kind of crap.

It's a bit close to the knuckle to be discussing a specific person on thread, especially a minor; with only what seems to be gossip at the moment.

Best we keep it under wraps for the time being. When there's conclusive information released pertaining to the investigation; we might then be able to revisit this specific train of thought.

but not 'til then, ya hear? I has the wooden spoon on standby... <rattle> <rattle>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

he has fallen in with the wrong crowd and is going through the new "traveller wannabe" phase.. it's very annoying to see young people acting like travellers. it leads to this kind of crap.

"It's annoying to see young people acting like Travellers"?

No generalisations there.

inisboffin wrote: »
    "It's annoying to see young people acting like Travellers"?

No generalisations there.

I know of a few travellers that are planning to go away to get married because of the behaviour of their own.

Then you see incidents like this this, they really don't do themselves any favours. While it seems like it's uncalled for in this case, the comparison kinda holds.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

antoobrien wrote: »
    I know of a few travellers that are planning to go away to get married because of the behaviour of their own.

Then you see incidents like this this, they really don't do themselves any favours. While it seems like it's uncalled for in this case, the comparison kinda holds.

It doesn't hold. Just because some Travellers engage in the type of stupid behaviour mentioned above doesn't make that type of behaviour "Traveller Behaviour".
    It is appalling behaviour whether it is carried out by Travellers, Women, Older People or in this case Teenage boys.

I don't judge every young white male on the crap that they perpetrate and I really wish people would grant the same courtesy to Travellers

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭dessierb

Salthill Gardai, mill st, traffic corps detective branch and RSU all got stuck into this. Was walking the dog and saw the action, great to see all these youths rounded up. Hence burglaries have stopped. Well done Galway Gardai.

ttoppcat wrote: »
    It doesn't hold. Just because some Travellers engage in the type of stupid behaviour mentioned above doesn't make that type of behaviour "Traveller Behaviour".

This is o.t. but when it is the most common behaviour of a section of society - not just travellers, skangers are just as bad - then the label fits.

It's up each section of society to make sure that their own don't sully the reputation of the group. There are a lot of good priests in the catholic church but for various reasons the priesthood has a bad name now. There's nothing we (the public) can do to alter that perception it's up to the priests to change it.

Rhetorical question, don't answer just consider:
    Why are we vilified for pointing out valid complaints about a certain section of society only to be told we are the problem and we have to change our behaviours towards them, rather than having the real problem behaviours eliminated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

ttoppcat wrote: »
    It is appalling behaviour whether it is carried out by Travellers, Women, Older People or in this case Teenage boys.

I don't judge every young white male on the crap that they perpetrate and I really wish people would grant the same courtesy to Travellers
    It's really time we stopped pretending that it's only "some" travellers that engage in anti social behavior.

The travelling community has a deep rooted culture of disrespect for society around them, the law, tax, education, work, rules of the road and deep rooted cultural acceptance of violence and it's all been allowed to flourish cos we dance around them with this PC nonsense.

They want all the benefits of society but want to contribute nothing. The satistics are all there. The numbers not finishing school, the numbers on the dole, the numbers in jail, the numbers caught for tax evasion etc

sure there's a couple of sound ones but it doesn't change the fact that the culture as a whole has massive short commings

• Advertisement

Regardless of the validity of what some of you are saying. As per the charter, this is not the correct forum for the discussion of the Travelling community, their morals, or 'culture of disrespect'.

This thread has gone quite off topic, and in a borderline nasty way.

So let's keep this discussion specifically to the Knocknacara burglaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

I'll hold my tongue so..hard and all as that is!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

McTigs wrote: »
    ...a deep rooted culture of disrespect for .... the law, tax, .... , ..., rules of the road and deep rooted cultural acceptance of ...

... bullying towards less powerful people. (Kids living in inudstrial schools in days gone by, refugees and asylum seekers now).

Sounds like non-Traveller Irish people to me.

Were the people involved in the Knocknacarra burglaries non-Travellers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

McTigs wrote: »
    deep rooted culture of disrespect for ... rules of the road

Sounds like a large chunk of the Irish population to me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

antoobrien wrote: »

Rhetorical question, don't answer just consider:
    Why are we vilified for pointing out valid complaints about a certain section of society only to be told we are the problem and we have to change our behaviours towards them, rather than having the real problem behaviours eliminated?

Isn't the same generalisation often used about - men...oh wait or is it women?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Seems like this is still going on in knocknacarra at least.

The shed out the back of our appartments which was locked. The wooden door was smashed in and housemates bike stolen out of it. Our neighbours had money and clothes stolen from their house aswell during the middle of the day.

Guards were helpful but didn't seem to think anything would be recovered.

I'm only going to warn people one more time, no discussing of a specific person, and also no discussion of members of the travelling community.

This is an old enough thread that bans will be handed out for any further misbehaving. <my wooden spoon hand is itching> :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭popepaisley1

does anyone know what sentence these guys got? or have they been sentenced yet?

http://connachttribune.ie/two-men-charged-with-spate-of-knocknacarra-burglaries/

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Sentencing article

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

the sentence seems a little light, but still...good riddance

Advertisement