Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs fines to rise. €100 with new fixed penalty catorgies.

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Ain't that the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

DBB wrote: »
    No. The only mastiff on the list is the bullmastiff. So, only crosses or types of bullmastiff (whatever a "type" of bullmastiff is!) are subject to the controls.
    Dublin City Council have assured me that they're to revert to the dog wardens to answer my queries re their actions being so divergent from other councils, so I'll let ye all know how it turns out :-)

Edited to add: sorry, I keep getting thrown by the bandog element! Any mastiff could possibly be said to be a bandog, it's a bit of a cover-all that could nobble an owner of any mastiff breed :-(

Today when I was speaking to the warden's office, I was told that all mastiff breeds have to be muzzled

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Kukey

That doesn't surprise me at all as I would say they are going on Type here as well.Like Shepherd once Mastiff is in the name they are saying they should be muzzled.Did anyone one else receive information about these new on the spot fines,or was it advertised anywhere?The first I heard of it was on here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

mosi wrote: »
    Today when I was speaking to the warden's office, I was told that all mastiff breeds have to be muzzled
    Kukey wrote: »
    That doesn't surprise me at all as I would say they are going on Type here as well.Like Shepherd once Mastiff is in the name they are saying they should be muzzled.Did anyone one else receive information about these new on the spot fines,or was it advertised anywhere?The first I heard of it was on here.

The fines are now in and active Kukey, since the 1st of June.

As for the mastiff thing, as it says in the edit of my post you've quoted mosi, the "Bandog" can be, and seemingly is, interpreted as meaning any dog of mastiffy type. That said, I am at a loss to know why, if this is the case, the Bullmastiff was listed?
    I wrote to Dublin City Council yet again, but this time got an answer, and I got the same story as Kukey's friend had got before. When I pointed out the mistaken way they're interpreting the Shepherd "type", there was a definite speed wobble, and they were surprised to hear that other pounds do not interpret the law the way they do. I asked them why they say the dept of Environment tell them to interpret the law one way, but tell every other pound a different interpretation? Speed wobble. They, I think, are alone in the country in the way they've interpreted this law. I have offered to gather more information from other pounds for them, but they seem to be ignoring me again :o

Advertisement