Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viburnum tinus - Hedge?

• 14-05-2013 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

I need to plant a hedge - I am thinking of Viburnum tinus - it is evergreen, grows to about 2m high - so no (or minimal) clipping and it flowers in early Spring.

Sounds ideal - but is it hardy? Would it have survived our recent cold winters? My site is on exposed high ground - my grisolena hedge was severely damaged by the first cold winter and the second cold winter killed it off completely.

So, would Viburnum tinus be a durable replacement?

Thanks, in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Poulgorm wrote: »
    I need to plant a hedge - I am thinking of Viburnum tinus - it is evergreen, grows to about 2m high - so no (or minimal) clipping and it flowers in early Spring.

Sounds ideal - but is it hardy? Would it have survived our recent cold winters? My site is on exposed high ground - my grisolena hedge was severely damaged by the first cold winter and the second cold winter killed it off completely.

Thanks, in advance

Some interesting reading on the various types.Might be of some use to you.:)

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/searchbynameresults?nm=Viburnum+tinus&op=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Poulgorm wrote: »

Thanks, in advance

I have one and its survived where others havent.
    You also see plenty out int he parks etc so I reckon you will be ok.
    Its a pretty bush as well, some with white flowers some with pink.
    Pretty much no maintancene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

it can get a bit sticky.
    What are the reasons for your hedge?
    have a read:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056945293

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Oldtree wrote: »
    it can get a bit sticky.
    What are the reasons for your hedge?

What do you mean by "sticky"?

Reasons for the hedge: privacy (mainly) and a wind break. Plus minimal trimming & pruning. I would like the thing to be 2 to 2.5m high, maximum.

Thank you, Paddy147 for that link - I did not realise there were 4 types of Viburnum tinus.

Advertisement