Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Problem

Options
  • 14-05-2013 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,
    So here is the basics of my issue. i was working for a good company for 18 months before the project folded and i was made redundant before Xmas 2012. I managed to secure a new job with another company in the support ops line. very happy i thought.

Started the new job and all going well, trying to fit in and make a difference as we all do. Shortly after starting however i was asked to take control of another area of the business unrelated to support ops. ok i say...

The other person in this area decided to leave and as such i was told stop all your doing and put all efforts into this other area and hire two people to take over the person who was leaving.

so i hire two people and set up a team, while trying to learn a position i had never had experience in. Since feb 2012 i put all my efforts as instructed into this area and as such the role i applied for i could not work on at all.

Today i get told my probation is being extended for 2 months because my performance for the role i was hired in was not as good as hoped...

I told them that due to being told to drop this and concentrate on other things that i thought that was harsh as i made a big difference in this other area.

fell on deaf ears to be honest. now looking to leave and get out as there is a massive culture of work all hours and them some where as i just cannot work past 5:30 due to travel and family life.

After raising this issue that 99% of the company stay very late after 5:30 this was putting unwanted pressure on me and was unfair. I was also told that if i could not complete my task in normal hours then i would be expected to stay late. i replied that i would base my targets on a 9-5 and not a 9 - when ever...again pretty much fell on deaf ears.

So if i look for another role and asked why am i leaving after 6 months what could i say. i would not bad mouth a company but need a good solid reason...

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

Firstly fair play for standing up to a company like that.. Work for free and all this rubbish...

Make up a story about living to far away from work and that traveling to and from work takes to long and that moving house is not an option...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Also you can say that the area that you are workin in is not what you applied for and that you would prefer to focus on that area (if that suits the particular job you are going for of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

You need to start to look for another job. The company that you are with are messing you around and expect you to work till all hours till the job is done.

You could say that you would like a job closer to home.

Also If your asked about your present job in an interview I would say I have been working in this area but I would prefer to work in y area. Then say something like I have gained good experience doing job x which which I know will be of benefit to you.
    I would also let them know you were employed to work in y area but due to staff leaving they asked you to work in x area and tell them what you did here. This shows that you are flexible and are willing to take on new tasks.

Maybe the experience you got in your present company could help you else where.
    Also when you are in a job I think it is easier to get another job.
    Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP here - Thanks for the replies on the host. While i have now handed in my notice and have till the end of june it seems i am being forced out.

Example - today i have been handed 4 pages of targets to achieve non of which is in my area and results are expected by Friday? completely unrealistic as i deal with Customer service and support and these are nearly all revenue issues and system installation issues.

what action could i take as this is getting beyond the joke now.

cheers

Advertisement