Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there any point doing a hairdressing course in my 30's?

• 14-05-2013 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Hi it had always been a dream, to do hairdressing, once I did my humanities degree I realised that I had followed the wrong path. I'm now in my 30's though and am wondering whether I should just give up on that dream, that won't happen? I have the money to do courses and would love to be involved in a salon, even if it was just doing blow dry's, how likely would that be to happen though?

On top that I'm not that dexterous. I'd just love to be involved somehow in Hair or Beauty. I'm smart academically, but I almost wish I wasn't, it's not my vocation. Any thought's on how I could become involved or should I just forget it?

Thanks

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

If you havn't been able to comb your hair till you are in your thirties why start now. (sorry couldn't resist)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I'd go for it OP.

If you can afford to do it and it's always been a dream of yours then do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Busted Flat. - If you have nothing helpful to contribute, then please don't post.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Why is being smart academically holding you back from a career in hair or beauty? A little bit condescending, tbh.

If it's something you've always wanted to do, then you should do it, regardless of age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

What I meant was it was how I was directed, at school and by parents and siblings,only discovered myself later , and I'm not that smart, just knowledgable, through brainwashing and osmosis....Thanks others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Hi Freiheit, why don't you ask for a few day's unpaid work experience with a local hairdresser, practice a few blowdrys on friends etc?
    I assume when you say that you're not particularly dextrous that you mean you have little or no existing skills in the area, but are you artistic? Do you have an awareness of hairdressing trends? Do you have a steady hand? Are you tactful and polite, able to make people feel good about themselves? Do you have high energy levels and a decent level of fitness to withstand being on your feet all day? When you see someone with a bad haircut/blowdry can you 'see' how it should look?
    In theory you're in an ideal position, in the sense that you are financially secure and have a passion for the area: many people don't find their dream career til they are in their thirties or older; maybe it sounds like obvious advice but try to work in a salon for at least 10busy days, even if it's just sweeping floors, greeting customers, making tea, possibly washing hair - then, if you still feel passionate about it, start looking into courses.
    Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Simpat

I have worked wit two girls who started hairdressing late 1 was 27 the other 34 both are very happy! The first is away working in London now, an appreniceship is usually 4 years, but u mentioned u have money for a course, they are quicker because its just intense training usually 18 months cost bout 10 grand, wit u bein in ur thirties this wud prob be better for u time wise plus as a trainee u wud be honestly doin all d skivy work starting off. It might not suit u bein sent out for a 20 year olds lunch

Thanks all...can anyone suggest good courses in the main cities?...and is there any merit in Barbering courses? I know the VEC run one? I've physical stamina, (just run a marathon, not sure if that translates) and think I'm good with people. How steady my hands are, well I'm an unknown quality as I've never engaged in any practical work. How do hairdresser's learn of trends? do they follow magazine's? and attend show's?.

re trends, my own hairdresser mentions them a lot, as younger clients will often come in looking for a particular 'new' or 'fashionable' style, or mention a celeb hairstyle, without a picture to back it up! That's why I mentioned trends!
    Glad you're getting advice re courses, best of luck with it

Thanks Dee..the key point I'm wondering about is how much can be learned and how much is simply natural ability? could commitment to learn take me a long way?. I want to be involved in the Fashion or Beauty Industry, even if my duties were basic, it's where I'd like to be, if I was capable of learning.

• Advertisement

are short-term courses, as in those lasting four day's full-time in 'cutting and blowdrying' of any use? they offer a college 'in-house' certificate only,is there a specific qualification I should look for?:)

Hi Freiheit,
    I should probably mention that although I considered hair and beauty as a career around 10 years ago, I decided not to go for it because there was another career path I wanted to try out! Having said that, I still do lots of blow-drys, fringe trims, waxing and tinting, hair colours and fringe trims etc, so having had no training I guess there must be an element of natural affinity to the area involved.
    Having said that, I think an eagerness and ability to learn and take advice can take a person a long way, and you certainly seem to have that! It's clear from reading your posts that this is really what you want to do, and that you're willing to take the risk, for which I really admire you.
    That's why I made the suggestion of asking for some unpaid work experience: maybe you would then pick up some basic skills, see how you feel yourself and of course ask the hairdresser/beautician to give you an honest appraisal after a few sessions?
    Re short term courses, I don't know how valuable they would be as a qualification but they sound ideal as a starting point?

Thanks again Dee:)....well you must indeed have a good deal of natural flair then, you must be quite skilled. I'm envious but also admiring of such. Is it normally a matter of calling into salons and looking for work unpaid work experience? or how do people tend to source such? Karen

Again I've no experience of asking for experience (!) but maybe your own hairdresser would recommend someone that might give you a few days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

Hi Freiheit,
    I think you should go for it. I started in the beauty industry in my 30's and haven't regretted it. A key factor in my decision to retrain was that I knew if i didn't try it i would always wonder what might have happened. I think you'll know whether it's for you or not after some time spent in a salon.
    If you do go ahead with a course I would advise you to talk to some former students of the college(s) you're considering. Also from my experience Beauty courses can have hidden costs such as extra equipment and materials that you may not hear about when you sign up initially.
    Best of luck with it :)

Thanks Rougegal:) glad it worked out for you.....hopefully for me too:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I think you should go for it if it is what you love! 30s is hardly too old for anything anyway! Saying that, at your age you can identify with younger and older folks so I would consider that to be a plus actually.

Advertisement