Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Park Run is coming to Macroom.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

eliwallach wrote: »
    ..this Saturday 18th May. 9:30am.

Usual registration applies.

http://www.macroomleisurecentre.ie/parkrun.html

Great to see one starting up in Cork, but it's a pity Cork is so big and Macroom is ages away from me! :(

Hopefully the success of this will lead to one starting up in the city area.

Best of luck to the organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

First Macroom Park Run had a good turnout of 65 participants.
    Special good luck tweet from Sonia O' Sullivan before the start as well.
    Hilly run with some loops so PB will be thin on the ground.
    Won my age category :rolleyes:!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

First Macroom Park Run had a good turnout of 65 participants.
    Special good luck tweet from Sonia O' Sullivan before the start as well.
    Hilly run with some loops so PB will be thin on the ground.
    Won my age category :rolleyes:!!!!!!

Was there only 1 in The over 50s ?? Decisions to be made re London Tom

Was there only 1 in The over 50s ?? Decisions to be made re London Tom

If I had been running in the " over 50s" I would not have won my age cat!
    AFAIR there was 6 in my age cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

If I had been running in the " over 50s" I would not have won my age cat!
    AFAIR there was 6 in my age cat.

No such thing as winning on park runs! ;)

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »
    No such thing as winning on park runs! ;)

Only losing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭likestosmile

Has anyone run the macroom parkrun before. Does it lend itself to fast/slow time? Looking to test my 5k speed away from competitive race. Looked at pictures of the course on website and it appears to have alot of turns and narrow paths. Looking for around 18.30 time. do-able?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

Has anyone run the macroom parkrun before. Does it lend itself to fast/slow time? Looking to test my 5k speed away from competitive race. Looked at pictures of the course on website and it appears to have alot of turns and narrow paths. Looking for around 18.30 time. do-able?

18.30 is do-able depending on you really. The male course record there is 17.03 so its certainly not impossible. I wouldnt be anywhere near that time but I've improved my 5K time by almost 3 minutes since this event started in May. There are a lot of others would have done likewise and more that have improved further.

It is a tough course though and you could find easier ones to go for a PB but it will definitely test you.

Line up at the front and you wont be held up on paths at all. There are some turns there and a very steep incline that you have to go up twice but there would be no challenge if it was flat and straight.

Try it out and see how it goes. Worst thing is you dont do the time you hoped for. But at least you'll have gotten a good workout from it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LloydChristmas

Its not conductive for a PB as it is a testing course with an steep incline that you have to go up twice!!

All in all its a nice, testing run. You wont get help up on the narrow paths as you will more than likely be running on your own once you start near the front of the small field.

At the very least, it will be a good workout which should make a flat course much easier to set a PB...

It is generally accepted that you can add 30 to 40 sec to your flat 5k time, for the Macroom Parkrun.
    Hilly, narrow paths and 3 U-turns break your momentum. But there is a lovely downhill section for 95% of the last 3/4 mile. don't ask about the omitted 5%......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

30 - 40 secs is probably right but that assumes that you know the course and know how to pace yourself...My first time running it, I didnt know the course and didnt know what to expect and over-cooked it a bit before the first hill..soon after my race was over :)

Still think Park runs are great though just a pity there is not one setup closer to the city yet

Advertisement