Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name that 2FM 80's hit request show. Host Barry Lang. Ran 7-8 daily.

Options
  • 14-05-2013 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

Trying to think the of name of a show. It ran during the 1980s on 2 FM pretty sure for an hour daily between 7 and 8. Barry Lang presented it.

There was an list of current hits printed in the Evening Herald or Evening Press which were given letter from A-Z. People called in an asked for song A, G or whatever.

What was it called?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

The Hotline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

Thanks I can go to bed now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Tony Fenton and later Dusty Rhoades presented it in the '90's! The fastest hour of the day!
    I used to love those intro jingles to that show. The current 2fm is a shocker by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Gawwwwd... I remember that well. I used to work in an Internet café at the time and we provided 2FM's audio streaming via our RealAudio Server.

We got constant mentions from Big Tone on the Hotline along the lines of "and we're ahhh streaming on the Internet nowww... yes indeeeed, the world wide web... with thanks to the lads from Websters Internet Café 'down' in Limerick... fair play lads... thanks to youuuuu people can listen to us aaaaaaaaall over the world..."

Was great exposure for us... although what 2FM didn't know at the time was that we only had the demo version of RealAudio Server... meaning that only 5 people could tune in at any one time... oops... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I used to be obsessed with the hotline in the late 90s, the memories! Maybe the new head of 2fm will bring it back :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

There used be a similar show on Mid-West radio between 9 and 10 called the Pick of The Pops Show.

The songlist used to be printed in The Western People.

Innocent times....

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Bard wrote: »
    Gawwwwd... I remember that well. I used to work in an Internet café at the time and we provided 2FM's audio streaming via our RealAudio Server.

We got constant mentions from Big Tone on the Hotline along the lines of "and we're ahhh streaming on the Internet nowww... yes indeeeed, the world wide web... with thanks to the lads from Websters Internet Café 'down' in Limerick... fair play lads... thanks to youuuuu people can listen to us aaaaaaaaall over the world..."

Was great exposure for us... although what 2FM didn't know at the time was that we only had the demo version of RealAudio Server... meaning that only 5 people could tune in at any one time... oops... ;)

I think it may have been the first email I ever sent. It was 1995 and sent a email to Tony and the Hotline during the day (I was on work experience from school and the company were experimenting with the new "internet thing") I for a experiment decided to send a email to Tony with a request and sure enough he read it out that evening, needless to say I was very excited...at the time. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I remember waiting obsessively for them to play The Simpsons' Do the Bartman and Deep, Deep Trouble... my finger hovering over the record button, hoping Tony Fenton wouldn't talk over the song. He always talked over the song.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭squonk

I remember Barry Lang doing it in the late 80's. I particularly remember getting a loan of a walkman at some stage and listening to it on my way over to the Youth Club feeling cool as hell! :). Oh god those were seriously innocent times really when I think about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Barry Lang's standard schtick was to name the lead singer of the band as part of his chatter, so he'd say "That's Paddy McAloon and Prefab Sprout", or "That was Ricky Ross and Deacon Blue," or "That's the sound of Huey Lewis and the News.".

Oh, wait a second...

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

John Kenny (of RTE Sports - not the comic from Limerick!) used to present "The Hotline" on the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

John Kenny (of RTE Sports - not the comic from Limerick!) used to present "The Hotline" on the weekends.

So did Shane o'Donoghue (one time RTE sports guy). Where's he gone to these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

JoeA3 wrote: »
    So did Shane o'Donoghue (one time RTE sports guy). Where's he gone to these days?

CNN golf correspondent. Think he heads up a weekly golf show there as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Tony used too do the "dj for a day" competition threw the hotline too..Ray Foley and KC's first ventures into legal radio was threw that competition

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

The Hotline was required listening back in the day, Barry Lang and then Tony Fenton.

Most of the requests were along the lines of "Sean in Midleton wants to dedicate this one for Assumpta in St Mary's School and the message is that Sean is so in lurrrve with you, can't wait to see you on Friday. Here's Glenn Medeiros ..."**

** Almost certainly sent in by Sean's mates as a wind up :D Ah, those were the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Barry Lang's standard schtick was to name the lead singer of the band as part of his chatter, so he'd say "That's Paddy McAloon and Prefab Sprout", or "That was Ricky Ross and Deacon Blue," or "That's the sound of Huey Lewis and the News.".

Oh, wait a second...

That's pretty standard DJ banter in fairness. Lots of jocks are still doing it on air... Gareth O'Callaghan and Tony Fenton for example. No harm in it. Often wondered "what was the lead singer's name in that band....?" only to have it answered to my delight in the back-announce link by the jock. ;)
    RayM wrote:
    I remember waiting obsessively for them to play The Simpsons' Do the Bartman and Deep, Deep Trouble... my finger hovering over the record button, hoping Tony Fenton wouldn't talk over the song. He always talked over the song.

home_taping.jpg

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

I used to love getting the Herald and looking down through the list of songs just to see did I know them all.

The Hotline was a rubbish show to record music off though. You'd rarely get the whole song played and the DJ always talked over the beginning or the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Bard wrote: »
    That's pretty standard DJ banter in fairness. Lots of jocks are still doing it on air... Gareth O'Callaghan and Tony Fenton for example. No harm in it. Often wondered "what was the lead singer's name in that band....?" only to have it answered to my delight in the back-announce link by the jock.

Might come in handy for this too...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/shortcuts/2013/may/10/vaccines-lead-singer-banned

:D

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Do ye remember Micky Mac from the Saturday nights dance show.

He moved to Lyric Fm

He's now with Clare Fm Sunday evening I think.

Great DJ during the 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Geomy wrote: »
    Do ye remember Micky Mac from the Saturday nights dance show.

He moved to Lyric Fm

He's now with Clare Fm Sunday evening I think.

Great DJ during the 90s

Micky Mac was my hero

" welcome welcome welcome...greetings and felicitations...large'n it up on a Saturday night...big shout out to all you people out there"

He used to have big pauses between each sentence when he would turn up and fade down the background music between his talking

Used to record it on tapes and play it during the week, over and over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

I still have the prodigy new year live 95 on tape....
    and 5 or 6 more summer 94 shows

Micky Mac was the only dance Dj that made dance music sound posh and he appealed to all classes of that generation. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Coincidentally, Tony Fenton will on The Late Late Show tonight.

Edit: No he wasn't.

Advertisement