Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotels in London very expensive

Options
  • 14-05-2013 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm going to London in July for my cousin's wedding, myself and my partner are planning to stay Fri & Sat night. He's getting married in the Shoreditch/Docklands area and the hotels START from £200 for the 2 nights.

This seems very expensive, would anyone recommend staying somewhere cheaper in london and travel (even 30 mins+) to the wedding.

Thanks

michael

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

£200.00 for 2 nights in that location is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Have you tried the "mystery booking" thing? I did that last year for a weekend meeting pals in central London, and we got a great deal.

I think it was on the lastminute.com site.... I honestly can't remember, but I'm sure someone will be a long who knows more about it.

Anyway, if you're not fussy about where EXACTLY you stay, it can be a great way of getting a nice place for less money. If I remember rightly you can specify the areas you're willing to stay, so you can pick somewhere not too far from the wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm going to London in July for my cousin's wedding, myself and my partner are planning to stay Fri & Sat night. He's getting married in the Shoreditch/Docklands area and the hotels START from £200 for the 2 nights.

This seems very expensive, would anyone recommend staying somewhere cheaper in london and travel (even 30 mins+) to the wedding.

Thanks

michael

For two people for two nights £200 is perfectly fine.

You could stay further away but you wont save much and any saving you do make you will just eat into by traveling.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

You're looking at travelling to Central London in the middle of high season for a weekend stay. Unfortunately, this means high prices are to be expected. Bear in mind that July is 6 weeks away; a lot of people will have made their bookings several months ago. £200 for 2 nights for 2 people actually isn't that bad, considering.

Lastminute.com is a good suggestion - I've just found availability of a room for 2 people for 2 nights in the Ramada Hotel near Canary Wharf for ~£150, which puts you about 30 mins away from Shoreditch. I'd be very surprised if you can get anything better than that.

If you do end up staying somewhere further out and travelling in to the wedding, be sure to check TFL for any transport issues and plan accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Try Jury's Inn at Angel - it would be a short enough cab ride from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Have you tried the "mystery booking" thing? I did that last year for a weekend meeting pals in central London, and we got a great deal.

I think it was on the lastminute.com site.... I honestly can't remember, but I'm sure someone will be a long who knows more about it.

Anyway, if you're not fussy about where EXACTLY you stay, it can be a great way of getting a nice place for less money. If I remember rightly you can specify the areas you're willing to stay, so you can pick somewhere not too far from the wedding.

http://www.lastminute.com/hotels-d10073-top-secret-london-hotels

They don't tell you what hotel it is until you pay your money, but a bit of detective work and you'll work it out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Have a look at hotelscombined.com and put in shoreditch as the area. Arrange by price. Prices start at £99. Not sure where you've been looking OP??

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

Try the nearest Premier Inn or Travelodge on their websites,

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Consider a room in a hostel.

www.hostelworld.com

Value, but only basic accommodation which can be fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement