Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AvantCard - GSD and payment plan query

Options
  • 14-05-2013 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

I requested, having cancelled my card, that they put me on a payment plan, rather than monthly minimum repayments, and I was advised by a guy called Niall that my credit rating would be affected adversely. Is that correct (legal), does anyone know?
    I have also been informed that I still have to pay government stamp duty, even though the card has been cancelled, and I have moved to a different provider.
    Thanks.

picturehangup

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

GSD = yes. When you close off an account, you'll be charged the Stamp Duty. A letter will be provided to you to give to your new card issuer so you don't get charged it again on the next due date.

If you're going on a payment plan and altering the nature of your agreement/obtaining a lower settlement than your debt then yes it may very well appear on your ICB. You haven't really given enough information on that - but generally if you settle a debt for less than the full amount, it would be recorded on your credit report. That's pretty much the entire reason for being of a credit record.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have been on a payment plan with the same company since last October, it is not mentioned on my ICB report.

I paid GSD last year but I will not have to pay it for every other year that I am paying off the balance.

To be honest I dont really care if it was on the ICB, I cant pay either way.

But if there was any chance of you paying off the balance, I got the impression that they would settle for less than half the money owed.

(though that may be because nearly half the amount I owe is charges as apposed to money I spent / borrowed)

Advertisement