Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weekly cost of a pig

• 15-05-2013 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how much on average could I expect to spend a week keeping 2 maybe 3 pigs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

h2005 wrote: »
    Just wondering how much on average could I expect to spend a week keeping 2 maybe 3 pigs.
    Feeding at 500g per day x month of age will give you a good estimate.
    so a 4 month old pig will get 2kg per day of ration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Thanks for the reply appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 40 SligoEdo

It would also depend on what you'll be feeding them. If you grow some or most of the food for them, it'll obviously cost less. Same with bedding. If you get straw from a farmer, it'll be cheaper than buying it in a shop/co-op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

SligoEdo wrote: »
    It would also depend on what you'll be feeding them. If you grow some or most of the food for them, it'll obviously cost less. Same with bedding. If you get straw from a farmer, it'll be cheaper than buying it in a shop/co-op.
    Growing enough food for three pigs would take a lot of ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 Aghoney

We had 3 old spot pigs that we processed recently after having them on pasture for 6 months, and during that time we fed them a mix of barley and pig-specific bagged feed, came out to 100-120 euro of purchased feed per pig over the 6 months. Very variable per week, a lot less than average at 2 months old, a lot more when fully grown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭glaswegian

if you go to your local fruit and veg shop and ask if you can take away his discards (gone soft fruit,carrot tops,cabbage leaves etc) i'm sure he ill be glad to get rid of them. as time goes on you'll get to know what your pigs will and won't eat,and what's left over can go on the compost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

Aghoney wrote: »
    We had 3 old spot pigs that we processed recently after having them on pasture for 6 months, and during that time we fed them a mix of barley and pig-specific bagged feed, came out to 100-120 euro of purchased feed per pig over the 6 months. Very variable per week, a lot less than average at 2 months old, a lot more when fully grown.

This is about what it costs me too, I am trying to get away from mixed feed, feed 1/2 rolled cooked barley & soya & 1/2 pig mix, & some fodder beet.
    A

Advertisement