Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom lies again to residents of Cork City about broadband rollout

Options
  • 15-05-2013 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

I  live in Cork City and was astounded and amazed when I arrived home to find a glossy brochure from Eircom telling me that broadband would be "available soon in your area" that it is "coming soon to your area" and I should "register your interest" My immediate reaction was anger and annoyance. I am understandably very suspicious about this given the amount of broken promises that the people in this part of the city have had over the years.

Could an Eircom rep confirm whether this latest promise is true or just another cruel joke. The info that we got from Eircom before these brochures were delivered  was that the rollout of broadband has been abandoned in Cork City and our Exchange would never be broadband enabled

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

regress wrote: »
    I  live in Cork City and was astounded and amazed when I arrived home to find a glossy brochure from Eircom telling me that broadband would be "available soon in your area" that it is "coming soon to your area" and I should "register your interest" My immediate reaction was anger and annoyance. I am understandably very suspicious about this given the amount of broken promises that the people in this part of the city have had over the years.

Could an Eircom rep confirm whether this latest promise is true or just another cruel joke. The info that we got from Eircom before these brochures were delivered  was that the rollout of broadband has been abandoned in Cork City and our Exchange would never be broadband enabled

Hi regress

Was this brochure in relation to eFibre?

I can confirm that cork central is part of phase 4 fibre rollout and current plans indicate that eircom are hoping to have fibre available to this area by the end of 2013.

I do not know what exchange your line is served by however if you would like to PM me your landline number I will happily check plans for the exchange your line is connected to, I just want to make sure I am offering information on the correct exchange you are inquiring about and to make sure I do not offer you any misleading information.

Regards

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

Hi regress

Was this brochure in relation to eFibre?

I can confirm that cork central is part of phase 4 fibre rollout and current plans indicate that eircom are hoping to have fibre available to this area by the end of 2013.

I do not know what exchange your line is served by however if you would like to PM me your landline number I will happily check plans for the exchange your line is connected to, I just want to make sure I am offering information on the correct exchange you are inquiring about and to make sure I do not offer you any misleading information.

Regards

Al

Thanks for the reply Al. The brochure that Eircom has delivered to the estates in this area of the city promising broadband does mention efibre.

Wow. Broadband to be available in Cork City by the end of 2013. Hard to believe that this could come to pass. If Eircom is telling the truth this time in the brochures that it has delivered to us it would be wonderful news for the city of Cork and for the residents of the northside of the city. Although I'm sure that you can understand our skepticism given years of broken promises. It would also be a massive u turn in my opinion given Eircoms admittance last year that it had abandoned plans to further rollout broadband in the city.

I don't have a landline number as I found dial up to be really slow. Most of those in this part of the city such as myself that do not have line of sight to the radio transmitters of Digiweb, Nova, Ripplecom on the southside of the city use mobile dongles. I get speeds at the moment of up to 0.14mb. Adequate for text pages and discussion forums but not much else.

The Silversprings/ Tivoli/ Lotabeg/ Lower Mayfield parts of the city are serviced by the Ashmount Exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭psalbmb

Sorry am i missing something? I don't believe anything in italics/bold is considered a "broken promise".. it clearly states that it is in the pipeline thats all.

The broken promises that I am referring to are the commitments made previously by Eircom, promises that have been  invariably broken and reneged on. Most notably the now infamous " take all orders" promise of 2007 in which the CEO of Eircom promised that DSL broadband would be available throughout the city by 2009. He was lying. 

I'll reserve judgement till I hear back from Al about the latest promises made in the brochures that they are distributing here but "coming soon" and "available soon" implies a reasonable timeline.

The broken promises that I am referring to are the commitments made previously by Eircom, promises that have been  invariably broken and reneged on. Most notably the now infamous " take all orders" promise of 2007 in which the CEO of Eircom promised that DSL broadband would be available throughout the city by 2009. He was lying. 

I'll reserve judgement till I hear back from Al about the latest promises made in the brochures that they are distributing here but "coming soon" and "available soon" implies a reasonable timeline.
    Hi regress

I'm sorry to say I have had confirmation from broadband network operations that at this moment in time there are still no indications as to when the Ashmount exchange will be broadband enabled.

I do apologise for any inconvenience this causes.

Can you confirm the title of the brochure you had received? I also apologise for the inconvenience this brochure has caused.

Regards

Al

• Advertisement

Thanks fo response Al and for confirmation that Exchange will not be broadband enabled which confirms info received last year that the broadband rollout in Ireland has been abandoned and we will have to make do with dongles for many years to come.

The brochure that was distributed in this area is green and white and says.

Efibre
    Coming soon to your area.
    Register your interest
    Available soon in your area
    Eircoms brand new superfast broadband will soon be available in your area.

Thanks fo response Al and for confirmation that Exchange will not be broadband enabled which confirms info received last year that the broadband rollout in Ireland has been abandoned and we will have to make do with dongles for many years to come.

The brochure that was distributed in this area is green and white and says.

Efibre
    Coming soon to your area.
    Register your interest
    Available soon in your area
    Eircoms brand new superfast broadband will soon be available in your area.

Hi regress

As I suspected this is in relation to eFibre which is being rolled out tothe Cork central exchange. I understand your are not served by the cork central exchange and should not have received this brochure. The position of broadband not being available at the Ashmount exchange remains unchanged to as advised in the past.

I appreciate your requirement for broadband in your area and I do apologisefor the inconvenience this brochure has caused.

Kind regards

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

According to the wholesale site, ashmount is covered by the Wellington road exchange and then according to the cabinet mappers around cork there is a vdsl cab in place at the entrance to Ashmount estate. Best thing to do would be to go for a walk or drive and check to see if there is infact a cab at the entrance to the estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Ashmount "exchange" is just a remote cabinet that was probably lobbed in to provide extra coverage to those housing estates.

It's an area that's really part of Wellington Road's footprint.

I'm not sure why you're getting responses on this thread about Cork Central which is the exchange that covers the central island of the city centre only.

There are seven major exchanges covering Cork City and a few smaller ones too and that's before you even look at the satellite towns immediately around Cork City and they're all getting VDSL / eFibre.

You could possibly get VDSL broadband (eFibre) if there are new cabinets appearing up there. This would completely resolve the problem as you'll go from a weird situation of no broadband at all to 50mbits or so.

It's very strange that they only installed voice services to that area.

The new fibre cabinets contain a DSLAM (broadband gear) so, your problem *might* be solved later this summer when Wellington Road's "fibre to kerb" services go live.

It's absolutely crazy that they've left you without broadband for so long though. Normally, where they use those very small remote concentrators they'd also install another cabinet with broadband gear. In those circumstances, ash mount should have had pretty decent standard broadband (better than over long lines back to Wellington Rd) however, it looks like they never installed it!

It's very odd as there are other sites like that around Cork that have far fewer houses, yet were served from mini exchanges like that which have a second cabinet that provides decent broadband.

Were there a lot of houses not completed up there or something? Just wondering why they left you without a DSLAM (broadband).

You got the brochure because your address would normally be part of the Wellington Road Exchange footprint and that's due to go live with eFibre in the next few months or so.

Perhaps someone from eircom could explain what the situation actually is up there as it's a bit nuts to leave that one housing estate without any broadband while the whole area's getting fibre to kerb!

OP: I would also suggest you bring it up with your local TDs. Contact details here

They might be able to get some answers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi Guys,

To co inside with the efibre launch today we have set up an efibre webpage

http://www.eircom.net/fibre

As this is the first phase we have set up an availability map

- http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

This will give an indication of the areas / cabinets planned. I appreciate it may not be as detailed as you were hoping for.

However the site will be updated as the efibre roll out phases progress.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Hi Guys,

To co inside with the efibre launch today we have set up an efibre webpage

http://www.eircom.net/fibre

This will give an indication of the areas / cabinets planned. I appreciate it may not be as detailed as you were hoping for.

However the site will be updated as the efibre roll out phases progress.

Thanks, Mark

Mark.
    I find your reply to be highly insulting. The title of this thread is accurate. Eircom distributed brochures assuring people in  a particular area of Cork that efibre would be "coming soon" Your colleague Alan admitted that not only was this incorrect they would not even get basic broadband. And he graciously apologised for the misinformation that your employer has  given out. I fail totally to understand why you would make such a post.

Solair wrote: »

It's absolutely crazy that they've left you without broadband for so long though..

Were there a lot of houses not completed up there or something? Just wondering why they left you without a DSLAM (broadband).

Perhaps someone from eircom could explain what the situation actually is up there as it's a bit nuts to leave that one housing estate without any broadband while the whole area's getting fibre to kerb!

OP: I would also suggest you bring it up with your local TDs.

They might be able to get some answers!

Thanks very much for the information Solair, much of which is new to me.

Unfortunately I can't really provide you with much info. There are at least a thousand houses in Ashmount, although I don't know how many of these are serviced by the Ashmount Exchange.

The availabllity of radio broadband from those that have line of sight to southside transmitters may be a reason why there is not more attention given to Eircoms refusal to provide fixed line broadband.

I have been trying for years to get some sort of explanation from Eircom or indication as to whether broadband will ever be provided but they have refused to answer any questions. All I know is what I have got from you and Spongebob. Eircom has just one mantra that it repeats over and over, year after year. I assume the reps are banned by their employer from providing any information.

"There are no plans to provide fixed line broadband at this time"

Btw i started a thread last year on this matter. Eircom reps refused to provide any information or explanation . I kept bumping it much to their annoyance and discomfort.

Eventually boards.ie intervened and closed and locked the thread. I assume that they were ordered to do so by Eircom who for obvious reasons do not want their refusal to enable 270 Exchanges highlighted.

TCP/IP
    Boards.ie Moderator

Eircom is a commercial company and will not issue this information until a particular exchange is enabled and not before that. It was a mistake on their part to announce exchanges in advance before they were completed and they wont be making that mistake again. If I was in a position of waiting for broadband from one of the non enabled exchanges I would be working on other options.

Dav
    Boards.ie Community Manager

You are asking Eircom to release what is commercially sensitive information. The reps here can no more do that than tell you the salaries of every employee in the company or what profits they make on their various products.

You won't get an answer to this question from the reps here unfortunately, they can't help in this matter. I'm closing this thread,

It's a very strange situation indeed.
    The Wellington Road Exchange area is due to have fibre active sometime in May-June according to eircom's maps. Finger's crossed your area is included in that.

Maybe keep an eye on the www.eircom.ie/efibre section and check your address sometime over the next few weeks and see if it appears as live.

If it's not going to be activated, maybe your whole area should approach other suppliers and see what can be done? There's obviously business for the taking up there if eircom don't want it.

Best of luck! I hope you get it sorted eventually. It does seem kind of strange not to have service in an area with a lot of homes like that, right on the edge of Cork City.

A
    The position of broadband not being available at the Ashmount exchange remains unchanged to as advised in the past.

I appreciate your requirement for broadband in your area and I do apologise for the inconvenience this brochure has caused.

B

Amazingly Eircom is claiming on its website that efibre will be available to the housing estates in Ashmount by May- June 2013.

Disappointing that Eircom is so reluctant to provide info to its own employees but any chance you could find out what the actual situation is

i.e. A - Eircom has "no plans" to provide broadband to Ashmount in Cork City
    or
    B The brochures were distributed and Ashmount is on the efiblre rollout map because the area will be getting broadband

I assume that even if the reps here are unable to get this information from their employer that we will know the answer within a few months.

The Silversprings/ Tivoli/ Lotabeg/ Lower Mayfield parts of the city are serviced by the Ashmount Exchange.

Actually, they're not. From what I can gather, 'Ashmount' just serves Ashmount and some new developments up there. 

Silversprings, Tivoli, Lotabeg, Lower Mayfield etc are all served directly by the main Wellington Road exchange.

Ashmount's most likely a very small sub-exchange that's connected to Wellington Road. They have them in a few places serving business parks, new-build housing estates and stuff like that where it made more economic sense to do it that way than run loads of cables back 4km+ to the parent exchange.

---

Keep checking that e-fibre site though. It will update live addresses fairly soon as Wellington Road e-fibre goes live May-June. So, I would assume very soon.

Spent a long time on phone to Eircom yesterday. Agent eventually admitted that information that Eiircom is publishing is intentionally false. Claimed it would  not "look good"if Eircom admitted true situation.  

Questions for Eircom which I will continue to bump till reps respond 

1 Why is Eircom intentionally making false claims on it's website. ie why is it stating that broadband will be available in Ashmount in Cork City by May/June 2013 

2 Why won't Eircom retract the false claims that it is making about broadband availability in Cork City.

A company deliberately and intentionally lying, refusing to admit that it is lying once exposed and refusing to retract those lies is worth highlighting. 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Spent a long time on phone to Eircom yesterday. Agent eventually admitted that information that Eiircom is publishing is intentionally false. Claimed it would  not "look good"if Eircom admitted true situation.  

1 Why is Eircom intentionally making false claims on it's website. ie why is it stating that broadband will be available in Ashmount in Cork City by May/June 2013 

2 Why won't Eircom retract the false claims that it is making about broadband availability in Cork City.

A company deliberately and intentionally lying, refusing to admit that it is lying once exposed and refusing to retract those lies is worth highlighting.

1. Look at the legal disclaimer, "Whilst every care has been taken in its preparation eircom net, its subsidiaries and associated companies, do not make any warranties or representations as to its accuracy or reliability. The Pages contained in this Web site may contain technical inaccuracies and typographical errors."

2. Because they're not aware of the situation or else their claims aren't false.

You're accusing a company of deliberately and intentionally lying without proof. If you genuinely feel eircom are intentionally lying, build a case with facts, evidence and you're more likely to (a) get a response (b) a solution.

I have had confirmation from broadband network operations that at this moment in time there are still no indications as to when the Ashmount exchange will be broadband enabled.
    smemon wrote: »
    Because they're not aware of the situation or else their claims aren't false.
    Eircom is fully aware of the situation and know that the claim that they are making of the Eircom site is false. i.e. that broadband will be available in Ashmount by May- June 2013

smemon wrote: »
    You're accusing a company of deliberately and intentionally lying

Yes Smemon. That is exactly what I am accusing Eircom of doing.

And bump

2 Why won't Eircom remove the false claims that it is making about broadband availability in Cork City from its website.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 424 Verified rep eMobile: Tony

Hi regress
    while this response may have been offered you by an individual agent, the statement offered you is untrue and should not have been offered is a serious accusation. If you could provide the number you called and an approximate time of call I will have this agent interaction fully investigated.
      The response given above by Solair in terms of roll-out are accurate. The map highlights  that Wellington road exchange will indeed be eFibre enabled, and date for enabling of first address is set for early July. Other cabinets connected to the Wellington Road exchange will be enabled as part of roll-out, however we do not as yet have any scheduled date for Ashmount exchange. While the surrounding exchanges of Wellington, Little Island, Mahon and Glanmire are specifically highlighted on the eFibre roll-out map, Ashmount is not highlighted for this.

It is regrettable that you should have received the response you report above, however we do try to provide as much information as possible on all our services. In this case there is no information on Ashmount. This indicates that this exchange will not be enabled for eFibre in 2013, however our roll-out will continue until 2015 when the network will reach 1.2 million homes and businesses across Ireland. Unfortunately it is not possible to enable all addresses across the nation.

Further information on this particular exchange may be available next year.

Regards

Tony

Hi regress
    while this response may have been offered you by an individual agent, the statement offered you is untrue and should not have been offered is a serious accusation. If you could provide the number you called and an approximate time of call I will have this agent interaction fully investigated.

Tony
    Individual agents or reps may make mistakes or unintentionally give incorrect information.  This is not something that I have a particular issue with and it is not what I am complaining about. My issue is with Eircom the company intentionally giving information that it knows to be false to the public and indeed to its own employees.

however we do not as yet have any scheduled date for Ashmount exchange. While the surrounding exchanges of Wellington, Little Island, Mahon and Glanmire are specifically highlighted on the eFibre roll-out map, Ashmount is not highlighted for this.

This is absolutely incorrect.  The estates in Ashmount  are clearly colour highlighted on the efibre rollout map as due to be enabled by May/June 2013.

I assume Eircoms intention is to give the false impression that efibre is being rolled out throughout the city even though it knows that this is not the case.

It is regrettable that you should have received the response you report above, however we do try to provide as much information as possible on all our services. In this case there is no information on Ashmount. This indicates that this exchange will not be enabled for eFibre in 2013,

Once again it the false information on the Eircom site that I have an issue with and not any response from any individual agent or rep.

And as you know Eircom has refused for years to provide any information on the Ashmount Exchange or provide any explanation whatsoever  for its refusal to provide broadband to that part of the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Tony
    Individual agents or reps may make mistakes or unintentionally give incorrect information.  This is not something that I have a particular issue with and it is not what I am complaining about. My issue is with Eircom the company intentionally giving information that it knows to be false to the public and indeed to its own employees.

This is absolutely incorrect.  The estates in Ashmount  are clearly colour highlighted on the efibre rollout map as due to be enabled by May/June 2013.

I assume Eircoms intention is to give the false impression that efibre is being rolled out throughout the city even though it knows that this is not the case.

Once again it the false information on the Eircom site that I have an issue with and not any response from any individual agent or rep.

And as you know Eircom has refused for years to provide any information on the Ashmount Exchange or provide any explanation whatsoever  for its refusal to provide broadband to that part of the city.
    regress
    As I have stated in my previous posts, this exchange is not scheduled for any work in the immediate future, this is the current status and all the information currently available to us at this time. If this exchange will be scheduled for any work we will then be able to advise further.
    I understand that the map could be more exact and make a clear boundary separating the Ashmount from its neighbouring exchanges, however my point is that only the neighbouring  exchanges are named when you place cursor over area, Ashmount is not.
    Eircom are very proud to be able to roll-out this product and would like to make this available to the highest possible number of people.
    I have forwarded your point about the map and if any information comes in about this particular exchange I have asked to be informed immediately.

Regards

Tony

I understand that the map could be more exact and make a clear boundary separating the Ashmount from its neighbouring exchanges, however my point is that only the neighbouring  exchanges are named when you place cursor over area, Ashmount is not.

Oh. The map is very exact. The area of Ashmount is shaded as being due for efibre in May/June 2013 and if as you say you put your cursor over the area, Eircom says that it is serviced by the Wellington Rd Exchange. A clear intentional lie which I am calling on Eircom to retract.

Not only is there not a clear boundary there is no boundary as Eircom is denying the existence of the Ashmount Exchange on its map.

So Eircom is deliberately, knowingly, intentionally giving false information about broadband availability on its website.

I hope that Eircom efibre phone agents are not relying on the publicly available efibre map and thereby unintentionally giving false information to callers.

And once again my earlier point which you didn't address. Eircom has refused for years to provide any explanation whatsoever for why it is refusing to provide broadband to this part of the city.

Oh. The map is very exact. The area of Ashmount is shaded as being due for efibre in May/June 2013 and if as you say you put your cursor over the area, Eircom says that it is serviced by the Wellington Rd Exchange. A clear intentional lie which I am calling on Eircom to retract.

Not only is there not a clear boundary there is no boundary as Eircom is denying the existence of the Ashmount Exchange on its map.

So Eircom is deliberately, knowingly, intentionally giving false information about broadband availability on its website.

I hope that Eircom efibre phone agents are not relying on the publicly available efibre map and thereby unintentionally giving false information to callers.

And once again my earlier point which you didn't address. Eircom has refused for years to provide any explanation whatsoever for why it is refusing to provide broadband to this part of the city.
    regress
    all these points have been responded to in earlier posts to yourself ( going back over 11 months) and to others on this forum. I am genuinely sorry that you cannot accept the answers provided however we have no further comment and will not be baited or bumped into further responses on this matter.
    The roll-out of broadband and eFibre continues but if you want to make a genuine case to propose your local exchange be re examined for upgrade work please PM me your account details or appropriate contact details where you can be contacted.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Well this is a first (I'll check for a few moons in the sky later)  Me defending eircom...
    IrelandOffline and boards "scouts" have been doing a map of VDSL cabinets (it's probably more accurate than the pathetic map on the eircom website)

Anyway Ashmount has a VDSL cabinet in place, when it will be commissioned is anybodies guess but I would think fairly soon.

I suspect the Ashmount exchange may be retired...and the cabinets fed directly from Wellington Rd, this exchange was never updated for broadband

See here : https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1M_lYcvMkt7xIqqSa43TdS1s25oRqtA2JgpxAkYM#map:id=4

Zoom into Ashmount and see the cabinets that are currently known about

Forgot to mention, if anybody spots a new cabinet could you please help us out by mapping it? Details here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83997736&postcount=1

I have had confirmation from broadband network operations that ....... there are still no indications as to when the Ashmount exchange will be broadband enabled.
    we do not.... have any scheduled date for Ashmount exchange
    this exchange is not scheduled for any work ...................., this is the current status and all the information currently available to us
    bealtine wrote: »
    when it will be commissioned is anybodies guess but I would think fairly soon.

I suspect the Ashmount exchange may be retired...and the cabinets fed directly from Wellington Rd, this exchange was never updated for broadband

Bealtine. Can I ask what you are basing your predictions on as they seem to contradict info provided by Eircom to reps to the effect that there are no plans to provide broadband to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Bealtine. Can I ask what you are basing your predictions on as they seem to contradict info provided by Eircom to reps to the effect that there are no plans to provide broadband to the area.
    Did you look at the link to the map I provided? Did you see the VDSL cab in Asmount? So that area will be enabled soon...

Also a little birdie told me when I asked about Ashmount...

Did you look at the link to the map I provided? Did you see the VDSL cab in Asmount? So that area will be enabled soon...

Also a little birdie told me when I asked about Ashmount...
    Thanks bealtine, your posts make good sense and I hope your little birdie is correct. As I said before we can only go on operational information available to us..but will post as soon as we have more.
    Regards
    Tony

• Advertisement

a little birdie told me when I asked about Ashmount...
     I hope your little birdie is correct.

Me too. :)

Advertisement