Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom lies again to residents of Cork City about broadband rollout

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

bealtine wrote: »
    See here : https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1M_lYcvMkt7xIqqSa43TdS1s25oRqtA2JgpxAkYM#map:id=4

Zoom into Ashmount and see the cabinets that are currently known about

Forgot to mention, if anybody spots a new cabinet could you please help us out by mapping it? Details here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83997736&postcount=1

Outstanding stuff bealtime. That link has been bookmarked for next year (when I hope Eircom manage to upgrade my area).

This is the type of information that Eircom should be proving to it's customers. But is anyone surprised that they are not?
    No offense to the Eircom guys here who do their best and I think most would agree do a good job, but they are reliant on those above them.

The map on the Efibre page is kinda useless. I'm in Carrigtwohill, and the map says 2014 (but of course it's Q4 of 2014).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Outstanding stuff bealtime. That link has been bookmarked for next year (when I hope Eircom manage to upgrade my area).

This is the type of information that Eircom should be proving to it's customers. But is anyone surprised that they are not?
    No offense to the Eircom guys here who do their best and I think most would agree do a good job, but they are reliant on those above them.

The map on the Efibre page is kinda useless. I'm in Carrigtwohill, and the map says 2014 (but of course it's Q4 of 2014).
    Thanks for the support Ronnie Plump Theft
    we have passed on the comments regarding the map and if you would like us to see if any more specific information is available on your own exchange just PM us your details.
    We will always do our best to get what ever info is available on any of our services.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Thanks bealtine, your posts make good sense and I hope your little birdie is correct. As I said before we can only go on operational information available to us..but will post as soon as we have more.
    Regards
    Tony
    Of course and I know sometimes people get a bit frustrated by the lack of concrete information coming from eircom and through to retail too...

Anyway keep up the good work it is appreciated btw

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

Eircom has now been lying about the availability of fixed line broadband in Cork City for over six years. Amazed and astounded that a company can get away with lying so blatantly and that it is refusing point blank to publicly retract the misinformation. And because Eircom doesn't even share information with its own representatives we have no idea if and when fixed line broadband will ever be rolled out in Cork City

The Lies

http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_10008705.shtml
    Jan 16, 2007

After a previously announced objective to improve broadband availability and take-up, Eircom today said it was taking all broadband orders placed within the ...urban area of Cork.Eircom said customers whose telephone lines had previously failed to qualify for broadband should contact it to have their lines re-tested. The company also said it had extended the reach of broadband availability resulting in an additional 24,000 customers who now qualify for broadband. Commenting on the announcements, ..... CEO, eircom, said:"Todays announcements demonstrate that we are serious about driving broadband in Ireland. As a result of the initiative to take all orders in the main urban areas additional customers can now order broadband.

Eircom continues to claim on its website that broadband is available in Ashmount despite reps here admitting months ago that this information is totally false.

The Reality

Reps on this forum have said that Eircom has "no plans" to further rollout fixed line broadband in Cork City.

This totally contradicts the claim that their employer continues to make on Eircoms official website i.e. that fixed line broadband is already available throughout the city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭tuch

regress wrote: »
    Amazingly Eircom is claiming on its website that efibre will be available to the housing estates in Ashmount by May- June 2013.

Disappointing that Eircom is so reluctant to provide info to its own employees but any chance you could find out what the actual situation is

i.e. A - Eircom has "no plans" to provide broadband to Ashmount in Cork City
    or
    B The brochures were distributed and Ashmount is on the efiblre rollout map because the area will be getting broadband

I assume that even if the reps here are unable to get this information from their employer that we will know the answer within a few months.

Well. Three years later the situation remains unchanged. Still not even basic broadband available in that part of the city.

However Eir is now making the following claim on its fibrerollout website. 

Ashmount
    [font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]Estimated date for first Live Fibre Services is Summer 2016[/font]

Big problem is that this website previously made similar promises about broadband being available by mid 2013. 

Eircom was lying then. Is Eir lying again now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

tuch wrote: »
    regress wrote: »
    Amazingly Eircom is claiming on its website that efibre will be available to the housing estates in Ashmount by May- June 2013.

Disappointing that Eircom is so reluctant to provide info to its own employees but any chance you could find out what the actual situation is

i.e. A - Eircom has "no plans" to provide broadband to Ashmount in Cork City
    or
    B The brochures were distributed and Ashmount is on the efiblre rollout map because the area will be getting broadband

I assume that even if the reps here are unable to get this information from their employer that we will know the answer within a few months.

Well. Three years later the situation remains unchanged. Still not even basic broadband available in that part of the city.

However Eir is now making the following claim on its fibrerollout website. 

Ashmount
    [font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]Estimated date for first Live Fibre Services is Summer 2016[/font]

Big problem is that this website previously made similar promises about broadband being available by mid 2013. 

Eircom was lying then. Is Eir lying again now?
    I'm sorry to hear you feel this way tuch, Please feel free to PM me your account number and I'll take a look into this.

-Pamela 

-Pamela 
    Thanks Pamela. I don't have an account number because there is no broadband in my part of the city. As you know the exchange serving this part of the city is not broadband enabled.

All I am asking is for you to confirm whether or not the statement that Eir has now put on fibrerollout site is true or just another lie.
    Given that Eircom made the exact same promise about broadband availability by May/ June 2013 on the site several years ago and also that Eircom promised that broadband would be available throughout the city by 2009 in 2007. 

Ashmount

-Pamela 
    Thanks Pamela. I don't have an account number because there is no broadband in my part of the city. As you know the exchange serving this part of the city is not broadband enabled.

All I am asking is for you to confirm whether or not the statement that Eir has now put on fibrerollout site is true or just another lie.
    Given that Eircom made the exact same promise about broadband availability by May/ June 2013 on the site several years ago and also that Eircom promised that broadband would be available throughout the city by 2009 in 2007. 

Ashmount
    It would depend on what cabinet / exchange you will be connected to tuch,
    We are unable to guarantee a broadband/ efibre service for any customer until we have an active line to prequal.

Please feel free to PM me your full address and I can check if this area is on our scheduled layout.

-Pamela 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

We are unable to guarantee a broadband/ efibre service for any customer until we have an active line to prequal.

Please feel free to PM me your full address and I can check if this area is on our scheduled layout.

-Pamela 
    Ok. I'll try again.

The Ashmount Exchange in Cork City. Which is Irelands second largest city. i.e.not a rural location but a city one with lots and lots of houses and apartments 

As you know this Exchange is one of many Exchanges that is not broadband enabled. i.e. There is no fixed line broadband. Not fibre, not dsl. Nothing. 

I am not getting an active line for you to check because I do not need a voice landline and the Exchange which I am serviced by is not broadband enabled.

Of course Eir does not publish this information anywhere because maybe it is a bit embarrassing but you work for Eir so surely you are fully aware that there is no fixed line broadband in this part of the city.

Now Eir is currently making the following statement of its official website

Ashmount
    Estimated date for first Live Fibre Services is Summer 2016

So what I am asking you is whether you can confirm.

A. That this statement means that fixed line broadband will be available in this part of the city by summer 2016 or 

B. Eir is lying again and as autumn leaves begin to fall we will still be left with our dongles.

• Advertisement

-Pamela 
    Ok. I'll try again.

The Ashmount Exchange in Cork City. Which is Irelands second largest city. i.e.not a rural location but a city one with lots and lots of houses and apartments 

As you know this Exchange is one of many Exchanges that is not broadband enabled. i.e. There is no fixed line broadband. Not fibre, not dsl. Nothing. 

I am not getting an active line for you to check because I do not need a voice landline and the Exchange which I am serviced by is not broadband enabled.

Of course Eir does not publish this information anywhere because maybe it is a bit embarrassing but you work for Eir so surely you are fully aware that there is no fixed line broadband in this part of the city.

Now Eir is currently making the following statement of its official website

Ashmount
    Estimated date for first Live Fibre Services is Summer 2016

So what I am asking you is whether you can confirm.

A. That this statement means that fixed line broadband will be available in this part of the city by summer 2016 or 

B. Eir is lying again and as autumn leaves begin to fall we will still be left with our dongles.
    Hi  tuch,

Accorded to the efibre roll-out plan here http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ the [font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]Estimated date for first Live Fibre Services is Summer 2016.[/font]

We are currently working on launching this cabinet however during the upgrade process there is always a chance it can be delayed due to the level of work required. (the time taken to complete the connection will vary depending on the level of work involved and whether consents from road and planning authorities and private landowners are necessary ) And this is why these dates are estimated.

We are expecting to have our first live service for this cabinet in the summer but not all customers will be connected immediately as each line individually will need to be enabled. You would also need to be connected to this cabinet to avail of the service.

-Pamela 

Accorded to the efibre roll-out plan here http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ the [font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]Estimated date for first Live Fibre Services is Summer 2016.[/font]

We are currently working on launching this cabinet...... 

We are expecting to have our first live service for this cabinet in the summer.

-Pamela 
    Thanks very much Pamela. Thats wonderful news. 

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Don't you think they'd have done it if were profitable? Eircom Group still has 500m in debt. They'll take any few bob they can get. 

The fact is replacing an RSU serving less than 100 dwellings with a full MSAN just isnt economical. Even if they'd done it in '06 it wouldn't have paid for itself by now. 

At this point you're on the list for a VDSL cabinet and chances are you will get it, activation numbers show a consistent commissioning effort over the last two years. FTTH might take some manpower away from that effort but its not stopped by any means. Keep your eyes peeled on that little gated area at the entrance, you'll see KNN digging it up when they're getting moving. 

Eir website had been stating since early May that broadband would be available "within six weeks"
    That was changed today to "within six months"

Seems Eir may be up to their old tricks again.

Eir website had been stating since early May that broadband would be available "within six weeks"
    That was changed today to "within six months"

Seems Eir may be up to their old tricks again.
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I have checked for the latest update on the Ashmount cabinet [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]tuch [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]and we have estimated services should be available to order August/September.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]-Pamela [/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]I have checked for the latest update on the Ashmount cabinet [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]tuch [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]and we have estimated services should be available to order August/September.[/font]

Thanks for the update Pamela. 

Thanks for the update Pamela. 
    No problem tuch,

-Pamela 

Advertisement