Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Giant Walrus!!

• 15-05-2013 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭

So I'm lying here watching an old Sinbad film and, quite frankly, it is terribly silly. I remember watching the same film as a kid and being absolutely terrified.

Is there anything that really scared you as a kid that you look back and laugh at now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Never ending story
    The wolf in that scared the **** out of me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Does it say "ex minister for health" under her when she's talking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Ilik Urgee wrote: »
    Does it say "ex minister for health" under her when she's talking?
    No, it was a real live giant walrus, with buck teeth and everything!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

No, it was a real live giant walrus, with buck teeth and everything!!

That's definitely Mary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

The wheelers in return to oz

Actually I take that back, they still scare the crap out of me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Nuns.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

The movie adaptation of Stephen King's "It". Scared the bejaysis out of me as a child. Watched it recently and it's a load of rubbish.

I shouldn't really say this but Wonder Woman used to scare the hell out of me as a child too. She's probably the reason I am still single.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

The movie adaptation of Stephen King's "It". Scared the bejaysis out of me as a child. Watched it recently and it's a load of rubbish.

I think when you watch the first part its creepy but when the evil is revealed at the end and its a f*cking
    spider that is killed by catapults and kids
    whatever fear the first part ever held is gone never to return

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭fonda

Round the twist.

Used to love it when I was a kid but it terrified me.

Awesome theme tune too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

The dilophosaurus in Jurassic Park, the bit where it opens out it's frills scared the crap out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Schnitzel Muncher

I once dropped a giant turd that resembled a Walrus when viewed at the correct angle.

I have pics if you are interested, OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

The Evil Dead when I was a young teenager was a bit jumpy with the bird under the trapdoor.

Bought the DVD a few years ago, I must have been a twat
    all those years ago, appalling effects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

darby o'gill and the little people with the vanshee near the end.

terrified to hell by that thing as a child but looking back on it and seeing how **** the graphics and that were just makes me laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

the stargate movie had me shitting my pants.

Labyrinth freaked me out, watched it a few weeks ago and it was funny how unscary it was. Still pretty dark for a kids' movie though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Scooby Doo. They're behind you Scooby. Zoinks :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cathalbrophy

terrified to hell by that thing as a child but looking back on it and seeing how **** the graphics and that were just makes me laugh

That banshee caused many the nightmare, i can tell you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

jaws that bast*rd..had me afraid to even walk by a puddle!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The original 1933 version of King Kong scared the bejazuz out of me as a kid and I still get the heebe jeebies when it's on.
    It's the mixed feelings of be scared of him and yet being sad when he dies that I couldn't resolve and that made me think way too much about the film so that I built up a lasting impression of it that still weirds me out.
    The new versions of the film I can ignore with ease but if I'm alone in the house and the original version comes on I have to change channel.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Leogirl

This - but that banshee still creeps me out!!!! Couldnt sleep for ages after watching it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Ghostbusters: Zuul, the giant hell-hounds, the ghost in the library, the god from the other dimension, the angry slime in the bath, the evil ghost nanny, the undead criminals.

Ghostbusters: Zuul, the giant hell-hounds, the ghost in the library, the god from the other dimension, the angry slime in the bath, the evil ghost nanny, the undead criminals.

And Janine, the secretary, was scarier than all of those put together!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I was shown 'Watership Down' in school when I was about 5 or 6. Scared the bejaysus out of me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Jaws in the James Bond movies and 'V'.

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I was shown 'Watership Down' in school when I was about 5 or 6. Scared the bejaysus out of me

I watched it last week, I still find it as unsettling and uncomfortable as ever. The animation is haunting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Jaws used to absolutely have me terrified when I was a nipper! If it was on the minute the music came on I was out the door quicker than shít off a shovel :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Urquell

the Gorn from the original star Trek. Filled me pants, now hes a guy in a rubber suit.

I remember watching Ghostbusters when it came out first and the opening scene in the Library with the old lady ghost reading the books. When she turned a bit evil and Dan Akroyd, Harold ramis and Bill Murray leg it, I nearly did the same out of the cinema! :o

Gave me a right ould shock :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

Kali ma... Kali ma... Kali ma...

I ran away and watched that scene through the curtains... from outside the house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

The evil witch in Snow White used to scare me :o

So did Jim Carrey when he played The Mask :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Jimmy Savile. My kid instincts were right.

Links234 wrote: »
    The wheelers in return to oz

Actually I take that back, they still scare the crap out of me

Mwua ha ha ha

It's uncanny how the main one looks/sounds like Bobcat Goldthwait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I used to watch that Most Haunted tv show, and there was this episode where they visited a prison and Derek Acorah talked about an evil spirit that roamed the prison who was threatening to attack some of the female members of the cast. Cue a load of shouting and screaming, and Derek getting possessed:rolleyes: only to be brought back to reality again. Looking back know, I definitively laugh at how gullible I was.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The dilophosaurus in Jurassic Park, the bit where it opens out it's frills scared the crap out of me.

http://imgur.com/gallery/UlP0l :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

This scene really freaked me out as a kid, from the movie Salem's Lot. Now I feel nowt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

This scene really freaked me out as a kid, from the movie Salem's Lot. Now I feel nowt.

I love the way these powerful, supernatural beings absolutely require you to open the window for them. What that little vampire could achieve for himself with a screwdriver and some basic house-breaking skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

The Outer Limits always creeped me out when I was a kid. haven't watched it since but I doubt it would have the same effect now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

I love the way these powerful, supernatural beings absolutely require you to open the window for them. What that little vampire could achieve for himself with a screwdriver and some basic house-breaking skills.

Without getting into too much of a debate on what are of course fictitious legends, but the whole thing with Vampires is they cannot come into your home without being invited in. So the legends were kids 'crying at your window' etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

they cannot come into your home without being invited in.

Then we'll say that extreme good manners and formality was their downfall. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Grotbags from The Pink Windmill :P

Looking now, I honestly have no idea why, but I found her terrifying!

EMF2010 wrote: »
    Grotbags from The Pink Windmill :P

Looking now, I honestly have no idea why, but I found her terrifying!

You still cracked one off to her i bet ;) :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

OldGoat wrote: »
    The original 1933 version of King Kong scared the bejazuz out of me as a kid and I still get the heebe jeebies when it's on.
    It's the mixed feelings of be scared of him and yet being sad when he dies that I couldn't resolve and that made me think way too much about the film so that I built up a lasting impression of it that still weirds me out.
    The new versions of the film I can ignore with ease but if I'm alone in the house and the original version comes on I have to change channel.

You really are old :eek:

I can't really remember any movie/tv shows or other media that terrified me as a kid, but I distinctly remember my auntie laughing her head off at me the first time I was brought to see fireworks. I was bawling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

You really are old :eek:
    Ahh not really. The film would have been on the tellybox when I was a wee nipper in the 60's.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

kfallon wrote: »
    You still cracked one off to her i bet ;) :pac:

Being an 8 year old girl at the time...eh, no. If I'd had any lesbian tendencies she'd have scared them away. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

OldGoat wrote: »
    Ahh not really. The film would have been on the tellybox when I was a wee nipper in the 60's.

60s?
    Isn't that when man went to the moon or something crazy like that
    Few years before dinosaurs went extinct?

EMF2010 wrote: »
    Being an 8 year old girl at the time...eh, no. If I'd had any lesbian tendencies she'd have scared them away. :pac:

You're unbelievable :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Some of my siblings watched this on TV one evening. Afterwards my parents found them in the attic fashioning stakes

• Advertisement
Advertisement