Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Benfica v Chelsea - EL Final - k/o 7:45pm - ITV/3e

• 15-05-2013 8:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭

Chelsea go into this game having all but secured UCL football for next season against a very good Benfica side who have had a one or two slip ups lately in Portugal.

They lost in the last minute to Porto at the weekend and are now trailing Porto going into the last game of the season, it was their first lose all season in the league.

Chelsea on the other hand are missing arguably our best assest, Eden Hazard, Terry faces a fitness test today to see if he'll make the starting XI, we should see Ramries move to right wing as I dont think Rafa will risk Moses in the final.

Team I expect to; see :

Cech
    Azp Cahill Ivan Cole
    Luiz Lamps
    Ramires Mata Oscar

Rafa could also drop Cahill as I think agaisnt Spurs and Villa he was very poor against Benteke and Adebayor and Oscar Cardozo is arguably a step up from both of them, if Cahill is dropped I'd expect a re-shuffle of Ramries to CM, Luiz to CB and Moses on the RW.

Cech
    Azp Luiz Ivan Cole
    Ramries Lamps
    Moses Mata Oscar
    Torres

Benfica likely line up

Arthur
    Pereira Luisao Garay Melgerjo
    Matic Perez
    Salvio Lima Gaitan
    Cardozo

Should be a great game tonight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I really want Benfica to win this game.

They won't though, Chelsea nailed on, Rafa is the ultimate cup manager. Another trophy winning manager shown the door by Roman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

They won't though, Chelsea nailed on, Rafa is the ultimate cup manager. Another trophy winning manager shown the door by Roman.

Excellent, he'll be replaced by a trophy winning manager anyway so wont matter a bollocks really, its the Chelsea way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Did Rafa lose a final with Chelsea already this season. Ultimate losing a final and semi final so far?
    Wait till after the game to see if he won a trophy as its not guaranteed.

Lost 2 semis & 1 finalso far this season, Swansea and Man City and lost the Club World Cup.

Before that we've already lost the Community shield and Super cup, its not really been our year for finals, think we used up all our luck on the UCL win. :pac:

We beat Benfica last year in the QF of the UCL but the Benfica team is better this year by all accounts, shoudl make for a good game, I'm not too confident of a win, you just never know in a final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

In fairness I wouldn't blame Roman for this one - the fans will have to carry the can here.

• Advertisement

In fairness I wouldn't blame Roman for this one - the fans will have to carry the can here.

If we werent in for Jose I'd be all for keeping Rafa on and see how he gets on given a full season and bigger squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

What're Benfica's injuries like?

duploelabs wrote: »
    What're Benfica's injuries like?

Benfica are full strength for tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Nice trophy :D

MickeyMouseTrophy.jpg

iDave wrote: »
    Nice trophy :D

MickeyMouseTrophy.jpg

Your Google skills are lacking, this is the trophy.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwmoyMOka9CuOoIpEUIQg_KRVZSIR3nw6uoBjPHeyw7FIlLAFftg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I didn't even know this was on tbh, just like last weekends cup final.
    The English media is so obsessed with the premier league & champions league the other competitions are left behind.
    I will watch it and hope to see a great game
    2-1 Chelski (Torres, Mata)

If its not on Sky you wont hear much about it TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

This could be a very good game; should be attacking and open from both teams.

Chelsea missing Hazard is a huge loss.

I still think Chelsea will nick this. 2-1 or 3-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Chelsea win tonite 3-1 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

GavRedKing wrote: »

Wimbledon is my favourite one every summer. One of the bigger sporting events of any summer, and it might get two minutes at the tailend of every hour on Sky Sports News.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'll settle for 8-7 to either team....as long as it's not a boring 8-7 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You will, just not on SKY Sports! So watch, read, listen to other channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

mike65 wrote: »
    You will, just not on SKY Sports! So watch, read, listen to other channels.

Eh - where else am I going to get an abundance of English County Cricket?

Chelsea will win tonight, but I think both teams will score, hopefully making it interesting for the neutrals.

Eh - where else am I going to get an abundance of English County Cricket?

Chelsea will win tonight, but I think both teams will score, hopefully making it interesting for the neutrals.

Depends on how we start, if its our usual slow ponderouis start we could be picked off early and struggle to get back into it, Benficas best chance of scoring against us is in the opening 15 mins IMO.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Benfica are full strength for tonight.

Physically, but mentally after that game against Porto, there has to be question marks..

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »
    Physically, but mentally after that game against Porto, there has to be question marks..

Buddy of mine lost a nice wedge on the draw, thought he was quids in coming up to the 90th minute.

Benfica will be no pushovers, by all accounts Porto shouldnt slip up in the League so its a real chance for a trophy so I reckon theyll be bulling for it.

Hazard missing for us really is a blow hes a very good go to guy, wriggles away freely and often draws fouls and is an effortless carrier of the ball, nobody in the squad can reaplce him but we need Mata and those around him to be nearly perfect tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Is Lampard likely to start with Hazard out?

Weighing up a few quid on him to score...

I'd reckon hes nailed on to start.

I reckon we'll go with

Cech
    Azp Ivan Luiz Cole
    Ramires Lamps
    Oscar Mata Moses
    Torres

Cahill has had 2 poor games against Villa & Spurs so I'd reckon Rafa will axe him.

Teams should be out around 6.30 if ya can wait.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Cardozo FGS, Chelsea to win: 130/1 :D

Those are very sweet odds. :eek:

Could be worth a few quid.

Both teams to score and Chelsea to win in 90 mins is coming up about between 4/1, 9/2, 5/1 depending on your bookmaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Those are very sweet odds. :eek:

Could be worth a few quid.

Both teams to score and Chelsea to win in 90 mins is coming up about between 4/1, 9/2, 5/1 depending on your bookmaker.

Seems like I was wrong, it's way down now (maybe an error on their side).

Still 40/1 with bet365 though.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Seems like I was wrong, it's way down now (maybe an error on their side).

Still 40/1 with bet365 though.

Still good odds, we do tend to ship goals early in the bigger matches when a team comes at us so I wouldnt be surprised if we went 1-0 early on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Wimbledon is my favourite one every summer. One of the bigger sporting events of any summer, and it might get two minutes at the tailend of every hour on Sky Sports News.
    :confused:
    they had Wimbledom half hour reports 2-3 times a day last year

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

The Open Chamionship gets little mention from Sky Sports.

Wimbledon on the other hand was getting a fair bit of coverage last summer from Sky Sports with their reports during the day. I think they had an early morning one as well that lasted an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

10-0 Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

At loggerheads here, absolutely HATE Chelsea as a club and all they stand for, like torres, mata, lamps and Rafa...

Who do I want to win...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Looks likely Terry won't play. Chelsea fans should be happy when you reflect on Chelsea's success in European finals depending on Terry's participation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

henrywinter: #cfc Cech; Azpilicueta, Ivanovic, Cahill, Cole; Lampard, Luiz; Ramires, Mata, Oscar; Torres.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

So Marko Marin isn't dead. Good to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

henrywinter: #cfc Cech; Azpilicueta, Ivanovic, Cahill, Cole; Lampard, Luiz; Ramires, Mata, Oscar; Torres.

That's a good strong team, Cahill off for Moses if we're struggling/he's having a shocker...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Breaking news:

John Terry has left his chelsea kit at home so will not be able to join in the celebrations Tonight.

Benfica have kindly donated a kit though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I do think it would be hilarious if he did it again if chelsea win, shinpads and everything.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Here's hoping one from Mata, Luiz, Ramires and Cordozo wins MOTM :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

retalivity wrote: »
    I do think it would be hilarious if he did it again if chelsea win, shinpads and everything.

He was told by Uefa to do it, as I'm sure will any unavailable/squad player who celebrates this season should their team win a Uefa trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Essien wrote: »
    He was told by Uefa to do it, as I'm sure will any unavailable/squad player who celebrates this season should their team win a Uefa trophy.

yeah, but wont the rest of them be fully dressed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

retalivity wrote: »
    yeah, but wont the rest of them be fully dressed?

The rest of them will be wearing a full kit too, assuming its the same as last seasons CL - the reason is apparently to make the celebration look more 'uniform'.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Rooney did it on Sunday, wasn't in the squad but was wearing his kit for the trophy lifting shenanigans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

C'mon Rafa :pac: ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

This should be a good game for the neutral!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Rooney did it on Sunday, wasn't in the squad but was wearing his kit for the trophy lifting shenanigans.

I noticed this myself, he came down from the directors area in his full kit just like Terry (at least Terry loves the club, this a man who asked to be sold less than 2 weeks before)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Sounds like they're playing the Titanic soundtrack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I'm delighted for Terry. Delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Benfica look an awfully small team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Meh is a joke of a final as neither team was even in the competition at the beginning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,665 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Better start from Benfica but still think Chelesa will win though (going for 2-1 to them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I'm delighted for Terry. Delighted.

That he's injured and can't play?
    Take a bow good sir.

• Advertisement
Advertisement