Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Benfica v Chelsea - EL Final - k/o 7:45pm - ITV/3e

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Killinator wrote: »
    And Rooney is beloved by all?

Good point, so what's your theory on terry getting more abuse than Rooney?

There has to be a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Its only when its terry. As evidenced by the complete lack of abuse for rooney for doing the same thing 3 days ago and nothing being said about ivanovic getting in to his kit and dancing on top of the goal posts after the cl last year.

Rooney was wearing his United gear during the game. They showed him a number of times.

article-2323361-19BDAE27000005DC-218_634x469.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

article-2325089-19CC56CF000005DC-85_634x393.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Saying on Off the Ball tonight, that maybe the difference between Rooney and Terry was that the United players knew that they were being presented the trophy after the match and dressed accordingly.

Makes sense to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Killinator

Good point, so what's your theory on terry getting more abuse than Rooney?

There has to be a reason.

If I knew I wouldn't be questioning it, I don't particularly care.

It only comes up when Chelsea win something anyway so I'll rest on the cup win instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Himself, Ashley Cole and Abramovich are the main reasons I can't stand Chelsea

It's tempered somewhat by the fact that I like Rafa and players like Lampard.

I'm no fan of CFC, but I never get the hatred towards Ashley Cole. A beast of a player who has never let anybody down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Cut out the John Terry abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

For the next 10 days, Fernando Torres is a reigning World Cup, European Championship, Champions League and Europa League winner. If we play football until the end of human civilisation, will the planets ever align for one man like that again?

From BBC. Did they forget Mata? He surely has the same record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I'm no fan of CFC, but I never get the hatred towards Ashley Cole. A beast of a player who has never let anybody down

Me too, I get the Terry hate, but wtf has cole done to piss everyone off so much? Unless we all got very offended by him doing the dirt on Cheryl.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Anyone think Benitez has put himself in the frame for the Real Madrid job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

8742556896_141e7a1b82_o.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

People saying Benfica were too reluctant to shoot, I don't think they were. It just didn't fall right for them a few times. They played very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,665 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Better start from Benfica but still think Chelesa will win though (going for 2-1 to them)

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

BKVvMfVCQAAwkzx.jpg

The head on Marin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

BKVsM5dCIAAJ3-b.jpg:large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Behaviour like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

You have to hand it to Fernando Torres.

No matter how much flak this guy gets he just keeps working away and helping his team pick up medals.

Yeah his best days are behind him and I doubt he will ever be spoken of as one of the world's great strikers ever again, but he has the fighting spirit of a champion; lesser men would have crumbled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Good luck to them, being bitter about another clubs success is really quite pathetic.

For every John Terry there is a Frank Lampard. Ivanovic, Mata and Torres have always seemed quite likeable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

You have to hand it to Fernando Torres.

No matter how much flak this guy gets he just keeps working away and helping his team pick up medals.

Yeah his best days are behind him and I doubt he will ever be spoken of as one of the world's great strikers ever again, but he has the fighting spirit of a champion; lesser men would have crumbled.

I have to agree, I've often mocked him in the past but you have to respect the fact that he didn't kick up a fuss about the way people laughed at him, he just kept on working hard and it seems like it's paying off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

It's a great result. It's something the club can build on, if we had finished the season without a trophy, with the amount of competitions we were in, it might have had a really negative long-term effect. As it is, we overcame a really talented Benfica side and it will be a proof to the players that they can overcome teams like that even when things aren't going well. The first half was very similar to the game against Atletico, the team never recovered in that game but tonight they came out in the second half fighting, they upped the tempo, they pressed, they used the ball better, there was runners off the ball. To me it illustrated that this group of players have improved as a team since they met Atletico near the start of the season.

Some great performances in that second half, Oscar I thought was excellent tonight, worked hard tracking back, good on the ball, a constant runner, David Luiz played with the responsibility of a captain, always looked to get on the ball, always tried to make things happen, always attempting to snap the team into life, Cahill was pretty solid at the back and his challenge at the end was as important as Ivanovic's goal.

But the star man was Fernando Torres. Ran, jumped, worked back into midfield, moved into the channels, battled away against two big centre backs and eventually got his reward with a piece of magic straight out of the Torres top drawer. A great goal to cap a worthy performance. If he felt last year that his part in the Champions League wasn't big enough, tonight he was integral.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Torres is a reigning champions league, Europa league, European championship and World Cup winner! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Why didn't hazard have to wear the kit?

Because he wasnt lifting the cup, I thought that would be obvious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

Duck Soup wrote: »
    8742556896_141e7a1b82_o.gif

Yeah Back of the Net :D

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Well done to Chelsea. Have to cringe at Terry though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

DazMarz wrote: »
    I still think Chelsea will nick this. 2-1.

Why... oh why oh why oh why didn't I back this... 8/1 it was... :(

In terms of Terry being a full kit wanker tonight, it's safe to assume he doesn't give a sh!t. He knows full well what was said about him last year so when he did the same tonight, i actually think it's kind of funny.

Delighted that he missed the match though. Karma! :) He probably wouldn't have played anyway!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Delighted for Benitez. Us fanboys can pack our suitcases ready to follow his next club again...

Cracking header from Ivanovic, determination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Johner wrote: »
    BKVvMfVCQAAwkzx.jpg

The head on Marin!

Haha, Terry kitted out again I see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Renn wrote: »
    Haha, Terry kitted out again I see.

In other news

TITANIC.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

cournioni wrote: »
    Well done to Chelsea. Have to cringe at Terry though.

Were you cringing at Rooney last weekend out of curiousity?
    He refused to play & then got into full kit mode for the presentation. At least Terry was ruled out with injury to be fair to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

I can't leave the Europa League final pass without saying the competition should be left for the teams who did not make the Champions League group stages. They are the clubs who would appreciate the second level silverware a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Were you cringing at Rooney last weekend out of curiousity?
    He refused to play & then got into full kit mode for the presentation. At least Terry was ruled out with injury to be fair to him.

Rooney refused to play?

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Rooney refused to play?

Source?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/22502958

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Panthro wrote: »

What I got from that was that SAF left him out to sort his head, not that Rooney refused to play. I doubt even Rooney would sit out purposefully..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

miralize wrote: »
    What I got from that was that SAF left him out to sort his head, not that Rooney refused to play. I doubt even Rooney would sit out purposefully..

Make of it what you will, Willy asked for a source and that was the closest one I had seen on the topic so I linked it.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Well done to Chelsea and to Benitez. Top 4 and a European cup in the bag, job done for both really. It's unfortunate not to see Benitez get a proper crack at this Chelsea job, what a turnaround from. He's someone managed to galvanize that squad. He's done his chances of getting another big job no harm at all and hopefully someone will give it to him. It's understandable why Chelsea would get Mourinho back in though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Would Chelsea fans consider this a good season? or are you disappointed that you were not closer in the league?

Right up to the United game at Stamford Bridge I felt ye were the team to bear after that ye never recovered or got in the mix shall I say.

next year though I think ye wont be far away.

Panthro wrote: »
    miralize wrote: »

Ya, that is not Rooney refusing to play.

Then again Alan is fond of his hyperbole.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

failed again at Chelsea. I think he's finished.
    It was a major job for Rafa and he failed.

:)

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

He's prone to a bit of hyperbole is Willy.

Not challenging for the league title from the position we were in when he took over = FAIL.

No Europa League can cover that up.
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    He's prone to a bit of hyperbole is Willy.

Be careful now Turty, remember what happened last time you tried to have a pop? ;)

Would Chelsea fans consider this a good season? or are you disappointed that you were not closer in the league?

Right up to the United game at Stamford Bridge I felt ye were the team to bear after that ye never recovered or got in the mix shall I say.

next year though I think ye wont be far away.

A decent season for me, Top 4 sorted and we're potentially going to be 11 points better off then last season.

We lost in 2 finals, 2 semi finals, a community shield, knocked out of the group stages of the UCL but we won the EL.

I wouldnt mind if Rafa got a full season at the job as I think we'd be mroe stable again next season given him a full pre-season to sort the squad out and with players like Hazard, Oscar, Azpilicueta playing in their 2nd season and more to come back.

The only reason I wouldnt keep Rafa was for the return of Jose or Ancelotti, and only one fo those possibility looks likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Not challenging for the league title from the position we were in when he took over = FAIL.

No Europa League can cover that up

More like no booing from the stands was able to prevent him getting the job done.

Keep believing he failed Willy - the rest of the footballing world rightly thinks otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

No Europa League can cover that up.

Be careful now Turty, remember what happened last time you tried to have a pop? ;)

Yourself and the_monkey fella have been a embarrassment since Rafa came in. I'd say longer but I rather keep it on topic. Thankfully there are a few level headed Chelsea supporters who aren't of the hyperbole, sensationalist, gutter media fed crap type.

It's a testament to Rafa that in spite of the face of adversity from the likes of the moronic supporters that booed him for the majority of his Chelsea tenure that he stuck it out. I don't expect you to admit it, but I have little doubt that to a large extent if not entirely you wished he failed. By that, I mean totally flopped at that.

It was always going to take Rafa some time to get some of his ideas around to the players, nobody was going to swoop in and make everything rosy right from the off. Champions League failure really came before he took over BUT if he was there from the beginning, Chelsea certainly would have got out of the group instead of putting up a shambles of a defence of the trophy that was under Di Matteo. The first defending champions in the history of the tournament to go out in the group stages ffs!

Think Rafa's 1 CL game this season was against Nordsjaelland away or perhaps it was home, I can't remember where you put half a dozen past them. Not using it as something big up Rafa here. Just stating a fact ;)

Chelsea were unlucky in the FA Cup. They had the momentum towards the end of the game and had it not been for the ref waving away a red card for Aguero, there was a fair chance that crucial goal would have come.

In regards to the league, Di Matteo wouldn't have had you much if at all better off than you are now. Chelsea weren't consistent but a full pre-season under his belt to get his methods fully across, I'm sure Rafa would have Chelsea contending at the very least. He probably did prioritise the Europa League at times over the sake of the league too, partly for his CV sake and partly because it was the biggest trophy Chelsea could win.

League Cup was poor from what I remember in the performances against Swansea but sure, can't win everything. Likewise the Club World Cup perhaps, though I'm in no real position to comment as I barely saw more than a few minutes being played.

Defensively he deserves a heap of credit too. Luiz in particular seems to have finally copped onto what positioning is and looks like he could well fulfill the potential shown at Benfica, albeit at CDM though from what I saw the odd time he did play in defence.

Also, despite the massive amount of games Chelsea played this season, his much maligned rotation policy worked a treat when fatigue could have really have settled in. Funny he gets no stick now for it. Does help he has a squad with a lot of quality all over which Liverpool even at their peak was perhaps a shade off from having.

However, I'm sure you're convinced otherwise knowing what you're like. Keep underplaying anything Rafa achieves like a lot of clueless people do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Literally no Chelsea fan wanted Benitez to fail? That's ridiculous. Also for every blindly anti-Benitez 'fan' there are people who are in such love with him everything is still seen through ridiculously tinted glasses.

Be realistic, he hasn't worked wonders, he hasn't shown any magnificent ability but he has done the job he was brought in to do. He's secured Champions League football, just, and won a trophy. The outcome is Chelsea fans can be grateful for a solid platform for next year and another trophy, and Benitez can be grateful that he's been put in the shop window and people can remember he can win trophies.

I do have sympathy for having to deal with the booing but it's to be expected, hiring someone who had been previously anti-chelsea and had a strong rivalry against us was not going to be received well. The signs were embarrassing.

Defensively is where he deserves zero credit imo, we've been a shambles at the back and very unorganised (something that I actually expected Benitez to be better at), going forward however we have played decent football.

Overall credit where it's due, he's done a good job, but he hasn't done anything special or out of the ordinary. Chelsea fans are grateful for his time with us and I'm sure he is too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

They won the Europa Cup and at the end of the day thats a decent trophy to win but Benitez didn't do anything amazing with Chelsea.

To win that title they beat Sparta Prague, Steau Bucharest, Rubin Kazan, Basel and then Benfica in the final. Lets be honest about it, you'd expect them to beat all those teams.

In the league they averaged two points per game under Di Matteo and are going to finish with a worse average than that albeit it a just minimal downturn.

He just really kept them going at the same pace over the course of the season.

Yourself and the_monkey fella have been a embarrassment since Rafa came in. I'd say longer but I rather keep it on topic. Thankfully there are a few level headed Chelsea supporters who aren't of the hyperbole, sensationalist, gutter media fed crap type.

It's a testament to Rafa that in spite of the face of adversity from the likes of the moronic supporters that booed him for the majority of his Chelsea tenure that he stuck it out. I don't expect you to admit it, but I have little doubt that to a large extent if not entirely you wished he failed. By that, I mean totally flopped at that.

It was always going to take Rafa some time to get some of his ideas around to the players, nobody was going to swoop in and make everything rosy right from the off. Champions League failure really came before he took over BUT if he was there from the beginning, Chelsea certainly would have got out of the group instead of putting up a shambles of a defence of the trophy that was under Di Matteo. The first defending champions in the history of the tournament to go out in the group stages ffs!

Think Rafa's 1 CL game this season was against Nordsjaelland away or perhaps it was home, I can't remember where you put half a dozen past them. Not using it as something big up Rafa here. Just stating a fact ;)

Chelsea were unlucky in the FA Cup. They had the momentum towards the end of the game and had it not been for the ref waving away a red card for Aguero, there was a fair chance that crucial goal would have come.

In regards to the league, Di Matteo wouldn't have had you much if at all better off than you are now. Chelsea weren't consistent but a full pre-season under his belt to get his methods fully across, I'm sure Rafa would have Chelsea contending at the very least. He probably did prioritise the Europa League at times over the sake of the league too, partly for his CV sake and partly because it was the biggest trophy Chelsea could win.

League Cup was poor from what I remember in the performances against Swansea but sure, can't win everything. Likewise the Club World Cup perhaps, though I'm in no real position to comment as I barely saw more than a few minutes being played.

Defensively he deserves a heap of credit too. Luiz in particular seems to have finally copped onto what positioning is and looks like he could well fulfill the potential shown at Benfica, albeit at CDM though from what I saw the odd time he did play in defence.

Also, despite the massive amount of games Chelsea played this season, his much maligned rotation policy worked a treat when fatigue could have really have settled in. Funny he gets no stick now for it. Does help he has a squad with a lot of quality all over which Liverpool even at their peak was perhaps a shade off from having.

However, I'm sure you're convinced otherwise knowing what you're like. Keep underplaying anything Rafa achieves like a lot of clueless people do.

Good post, on the failure thing.

I'd nearly bet a % of Chelsea fans wanted Rafa to fail just to say " i told ya so" not relaising he was working for the good fo the club and his career.

I cant subscribe to the mentality where yoo'd rather see your club fail its goals just to put the boot into a guy you dont like.

If you support the club you'll get over the initial anger and get on with the job of supporting the players who make the results happen, I'm delighted Rafa has acheived his goals, its given us European success for the 2nd year running and we're going to be in the UCL next season, job done, thank you Rafa.

I also agree his rotation policy was a god send, its was frustrating at times but it had to be done we've a thin enough squad as is and for some of them playing 55+ games would have taken the toll if we didnt rest.

I'll sum it up this way :

League : if we finish 3rd I'd agree we woudlnt have been any higher under RDM given the nearly 70 games we've had to play. The squad will have to be added to next year as the current squad of players shouldnt be so far behind the champions, IMO.

FA/League Cup : We were unlcuky in the FA cup semi final when a decision here or there in our favour could have seen us in another final, Rafa done very well to knock out Utd in the QF replay. Losing to Swansea in the league cup was deserved, Ivanovic made 2 horrendous mistakes and Michu punished us, we had no attacking edge and went out although it'll be remembered for Hazard kicking the ball boy.

Club World Cup : Played ok up until the final when we went behind and never really got going in the game, Torres scored an equaliser that was if I remember correctly just about level and got flagged for offside.

UCL/EL : Rafas one game in the UCL seen us score 6 goals at home to Nordjselland (sp). His rotation and selection in the EL got us to the final where Benfica for large parts were the better team but like we manage to do we got the job done,I can only put that down to big game experience from the squad.

As I said its thank you from this Chelsea fan anyway, hes had to put up with anawful lot of abuse in his time with us but hes got the job done and for that I can only applaud him and wish him well in his career.

eagle eye wrote: »
    They won the Europa Cup and at the end of the day thats a decent trophy to win but Benitez didn't do anything amazing with Chelsea.

To win that title they beat Sparta Prague, Steau Bucharest, Rubin Kazan, Basel and then Benfica in the final. Lets be honest about it, you'd expect them to beat all those teams.

In the league they averaged two points per game under Di Matteo and are going to finish with a worse average than that albeit it a just minimal downturn.

He just really kept them going at the same pace over the course of the season.

I wouldnt say amazing, I'd give hime 7/10.

Kazin, Basel and Benfica especially are UCL regulars so its not like they were whipping boys, although I dont think teams dropping out of the UCL should get the option to go into the EL, thats a different matter, we still had to play well to win those games and go through and rotate.

I dont think RDM would have had us any higher then Rafa, would he have got us top 4, I'd like to think so.

We're 8 points better off then we were last season, a win on Sunday will put that up to 11 points, at least its an improvement on 6th.

What RDM was judged on last year was winning the UCL, had we lost the final we were going to be in the EL anyway, it wasnt to be and we beat Bayern, had we not RDM would have been a huge failure IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement