Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost Pigeon

• 15-05-2013 9:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Found a pigeon on my windowsill the other day. Wasn't moving at all. I put him in to the shed with some water and porridge oats. He's now hopping around and flapping a bit. He doesn't seem to be injured. He has some tags on his leg so I'd say he has an owner. Any ideas what I should do with him?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

SB2013 wrote: »
    Found a pigeon on my windowsill the other day. Wasn't moving at all. I put him in to the shed with some water and porridge oats. He's now hopping around and flapping a bit. He doesn't seem to be injured. He has some tags on his leg so I'd say he has an owner. Any ideas what I should do with him?

Contact your local racing pigeon club.

I rescued one from my cat last year and gave her to a guy I know who races them. He contacted the owners and between them they decided he should keep her. She is doing great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

If you have a look at the numbers/code on the tag, then go to http://www.racingpigeon.ie/strays.php and find out which association it's registered with, go to their website, and it will list the numbers and what club it belongs to. Had to do a bit of an investigation when I found a lost and very tired pigeon last year.

I put him into my dog's crate with newspaper, put a blanket over the crate. Give him plenty water as they can be very thirsty and dehydrate quickly. And then porridge oats or seeds will keep him going. I think there's advice on the link above as to what to give them. He was a guest for two days until I was able to arrange a return with his owner, he was fairly far away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

The ID tag appears to be for the Royal Pigeon Racing Association which I presume is English so i doubt the pigeon will be going home. I'll have to look for a local I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

It's worth contacting them anyway to give them the option to get the pigeon back, some of them are very attached to their pigeons! And they might have contacts over here who would mind it or take it on. i was very surprised at the lengths they went to, to make sure it was looked after!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think it's also possible that pigeons get exchanged / sold between clubs, so even though it was initially registered to the UK club, it could have been bought by someone in Ireland. I agree with the above poster, just contact the relevant club and take it from there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement