Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

272 jailed last year for non-payment of TV licence

• 15-05-2013 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/jailings-for-nonpayment-of-tv-licence-fine-up-50pc-29267389.html
    According to figures provided by the Irish Prison Service, the numbers of people jailed for non-payment of licence fines last year increased from 183 to 272 – a jump of 89 or 48.6pc.

thank god this scum is off our streets :rolleyes:

seriously though, i'm sure there is a better way to deal with this than sending people to prison

I wonder would it be possible to collect the tv licence through providers by adding it to their monthly fee?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

They've heard all the excuses in fairness.

Some day though, they might get around to hauling fraudulent bankers and corrupt politicians into gaol too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

wait til you see the amount jailed for non payment of property tax :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

AND ALL THIS WHILE THE BANKERS AND SPECULATORS WALK FREE! :mad:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

IM0 wrote: »

Count me in. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Resulting in higher jail costs requiring an increase in tax to pay for all the prisoners, this then leads to more people not paying tax and the circle goes on.

Eventually they'll just have to turn Ireland into a prison island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Agricola wrote: »

AND RTE IS SH!TE ANYWAY AND LOOK AT THOSE POLITICIANS WITH THEIR EXPENSES AND I SHOULDN'T PAY RICH PEOPLE SHOULD PAY MORE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Pretty sure they were jailed for not paying the fine for not having a tv licence. A subtle but notable difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Don't knock it, could be the start of a prison construction boom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Joke of a practice, a stupid outdated fee results in already overcrowded and under pressure prison and judicial services being stretched even further. the licence fee should be scrapped, end of. if RTE can't afford its running costs then get rid of a load of dead weight "stars" or massive paycuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

whats the average jail term for a non payment of tv license offence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Schnitzel Muncher

Agricola wrote: »

Tell us a bit more about these SPECULATORS, and why they should be locked up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

A few hours at most I'd imagine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Won't arise imo. They will be deducting at source from PAYE workers and welfare recipients and self employed people will have problems getting tax clearance if they are contractors . Those who arent won't want interest and penalties and/ or risk of an audit. There'll be very little non compliance imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Although I detest taxes like this which are stealth taxation, nothing less, the simple fact remains that they are here.

They should be collected through the electricity bill. Same with property tax, motor tax through fuel etc.

If we're going to collect them they should be collected in the most efficient manner possible, if you're not consuming the fuel to run them, they're not in use, and they're unavoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Schnitzel Muncher

Are these guys allowed watch TV while locked up?

SamHall wrote: »
    Count me in. ;)

are you going to laugh and point too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Wossack wrote: »

2 months I think

that irony would be too delicious to contemplate

Probably a cup of tea and a sandwich before going home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

yes but only on a 14" plasma as punishment

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

These people are brought to the front office of the prison. They're written into the books. About ten minutes later they're shoved out the front door of the prison.

They are known in the trade as a 'turn around'

This is because the prisons are too full to deal with non payment of fines prisoners.
    And the "jail time" is for refusing to pay a fine that a Judge in Court imposed on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Nobody has ever been jailed for non-payment of TV license.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Pretty sure they were jailed for not paying the fine for not having a tv licence. A subtle but notable difference.
    Ah yeah, but what's the point in bringing any sense of reality to this.

<General purpose rant about how anything I do is excusable because Sean Fitzpatrick hasn't been defenestrated. Also, I refuse to acknowledge the Courts because of Garlic Man>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Personally, I think the State needs to get some more joined up thinking and legislate where necessary, to have fees/penalties like this deducted from any sort of state assistance being received by individuals. There isn't an individual in the country that isn't provided with something from the State - be it tax credits, children's allowance etc...

It would be far more cost effective and efficient to do this - provided revenue and social welfare and other State bodies share some form of common IT infrastructure/database and MIF systems.

I find the tv licence thing to be a joke tbh, particularly when it goes to RTÉ solely, but nonetheless it's a tax/fee that is required by law and I have no sympathy for those caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Someone should ring Joe Duffy...ah, no...wait....

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

OU812 wrote: »
    Although I detest taxes like this which are stealth taxation, nothing less, the simple fact remains that they are here.

They should be collected through the electricity bill. Same with property tax, motor tax through fuel etc.

If we're going to collect them they should be collected in the most efficient manner possible, if you're not consuming the fuel to run them, they're not in use, and they're unavoidable.

This.

Nearly everyone has a tv. And with Pat Rabbitte's broadcasting tax due to replace the tv licence... I don't agree with a tax to fund RTE, but if they really must do it, at least do it more efficiently and just slap a % onto the ESB bill.

Stop wasting more taxpayers money sending people around knocking on doors, sending out letters, making awful TV and radio ads and wasting the courts time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

How thick do you have to be to get caught? Just don't answer the door if your not expecting anyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Spurtacus

Surely when it becomes the broadcasting charge the 15% of non-compliance with drop to almost zero then our glorious leaders will reduce the contribution accordingly :rolleyes:

It would make more sense to confiscate their TVs, sell them on and use the proceeds to pay for the license. Court cases and prison terms are just a drain on resources, much bigger criminals out there where these resources could be better utilised.

• Advertisement

Spurtacus wrote: »
    Surely when it becomes the broadcasting charge the 15% of non-compliance with drop to almost zero then our glorious leaders will reduce the contribution accordingly :rolleyes:

no ryan tubridy will get a pay rise, because he's worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

2 months I think

I was told it was 2 to 3 hours in prison and then you are let out and your fine is quashed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

zenno wrote: »
    I was told it was 2 to 3 hours in prison and then you are let out and your fine is quashed.

They get the daily prisoners allowance aswell, so they actually make about €2...:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

davet82 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/jailings-for-nonpayment-of-tv-licence-fine-up-50pc-29267389.html

thank god this scum is off our streets :rolleyes:

seriously though, i'm sure there is a better way to deal with this than sending people to prison

I wonder would it be possible to collect the tv licence through providers by adding it to their monthly fee?

The price you pay for a TV license is €160 per year.

The price for keeping a person imprisoned, per day is: €180

Don't pay the government €160, the government then spends €180 per day incarcerating you, our government truly are idiots.

dan1895 wrote: »
    How thick do you have to be to get caught? Just don't answer the door if your not expecting anyone.

or just don't pay it to begin with, until I get a letter addressed to me and not "the occupant" I'll never pay it. pay RTE a chunk of money to further their awful programming? no thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Overflow wrote: »
    The price you pay for a TV license is €160 per year.

The price for keeping a person imprisoned, per day is: €180

Don't pay the government €160, the government then spends €180 per day incarcerating you, our government truly are idiots.

You are mis-interpreting the €180 a day figure.
    The figure comes from the cost of running the entire prison service for a year divided by the number of 'inmate days'.
    However a minor reduction in the number of inmates doesn't make a saving a '€180 a day per freed inmate' as the major costs (staff wages, admin, security, infrastructure, utilities) stay constant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Terry1985

Overflow wrote: »

The justice system is not a profit making organisation.
    Maybe they should confiscate their TV's instead.

Might get the dole scroungers off the sofa to look for a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Funnily enough I don't see this story on the RTE news website, wonder why! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

gurramok wrote: »
    Funnily enough I don't see this story on the RTE news website, wonder why! :rolleyes:

There's not enough people paying their TV License to fund the reporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭jay1988

Terry1985 wrote: »

Yeah because its only people on the dole that don't pay their TV licence. Fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Contempt of court infact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Terry1985 wrote: »

I would think again about that one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Political status for these heroes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Between one and four hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

The bigger drawback with going to jail (which really isn't a threat) is the fact you now have a criminal record, which can affect your travel choices

Between one and four hours

€45 an hour seems like a good deal to me, fcuk the tv licence :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

You can't get jail time for not having a tv licence. You can only get jail time if you are convicted and fined in court and fail to pay the court fine in the time given by the judge. And I very much doubt any of them spent a night in jail either.

SB2013 wrote: »
    You can't get jail time for not having a tv licence. You can only get jail time if you are convicted and fined in court and fail to pay the court fine in the time given by the judge. And I very much doubt any of them spent a night in jail either.

except y'know the 272 people in the article from the OP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

krudler wrote: »

Wrong.

That means that 272 penal warrants were executed - that arose from non-payment of a court imposed fine for no tv licence - executed by bringing the person to prison. It is not legally required to hold the person in prison. The governor has absolutely discretion to release anyone. It is legally required to bring them to prison and to execute the committal warrant that the Judge issued. However they can be immediatley or very quickley released. And they are.
    The prisons outside Dublin may hold em for a few hours. Although I doubt it. The ones in Dublin will fck them straight back out the door.

So 272 people didn't do jail time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Eventually they'll just have to turn Ireland into a prison island.

AKA Little Australia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

krudler wrote: »

No they get brough to jail, wait around for a few hours and get given their bus fare home. Tv licences, traffic offences, dog offences. All the same. It's just another example of what a mockery the system is. Apparently it's no problem to take the property tax direct from your wages or social welfare but when it comes to court fines you have to go through this whole ridiculous process.

• Advertisement
Advertisement