Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

272 jailed last year for non-payment of TV licence

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

J K wrote: »
    Wrong.

That means that 272 penal warrants were executed - that arose from non-payment of a court imposed fine for no tv licence - executed by bringing the person to prison. It is not legally required to hold the person in prison. The governor has absolutely discretion to release anyone. It is legally required to bring them to prison and to execute the committal warrant that the Judge issued. However they can be immediatley or very quickley released. And they are.
    The prisons outside Dublin may hold em for a few hours. Although I doubt it. The ones in Dublin will fck them straight back out the door.

So 272 people didn't do jail time.

hehe, penal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭Popular Hardback

How many Seanies, Berties, Dunners, Fingers, etc. were jailed for bankrupting the country and saddling ordinary taxpayers with their private company debts for generations ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I wish they would just take the TV. Have some piece of crap from the 90s which only picks up 3 channels and have to press down through 30 channels to find anything that they wanted 160 euro for the honour of watching. Broadcasting charge should be interesting, plan on avoiding that if I can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Fine for not paying TV licence 450. Days imprisonment for not paying fine 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I'm sure 20 hours community service will be the sentence on the day soon instead of this brain-dead prison scenario. LOL and if they don't do the community service it will be back to 1 - 4 hours in prison. It's a strange one indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Are these guys allowed watch TV while locked up?

Yep, and smoke in a workplace while watching it without the fear of being sent to pris......... Oh wait :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

dan1895 wrote: »
    How thick do you have to be to get caught? Just don't answer the door if your not expecting anyone.

In the 80s, my mother used to hide the tv when they called and move the furniture around so it wasn't facing in the direction of an empty space in the corner. We were all in on it. She'd should "TV license maaaaan" and we'd take action. I've no idea if it worked or not. Sounds pretty suspect.

Mad when I think about it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Tell us a bit more about these SPECULATORS, and why they should be locked up?

COS DEY TOOK AR JEBS........eh no its... COS THEY USE LOOPHOLES TO AVOID THEIR TAX..........shít, er..........oh yeah...........COS THEY GAMBLED AND LOST THEIR OWN MONEY NOW WE HAVE TO BAIL EM OUT. IT'S A CRYUM!

Advertisement