Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Box 360

Options
  • 15-05-2013 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi,

My husbands Xbox stopped working a few months ago, I'm pretty sure he will get the new one towards the end of the year or early next year but as it's his birthday next week I was thinking I would buy him a second hand one just to keep him going.
    Does anyone know the best place to go for this?
    Do the likes of Game, Gamestop etc sell 2nd hand consoles?
    I wouldn't mind buying form done deal or gumtree or something but there is no way I would know whether the console was working or in good condition past the outside of it!

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Always on dodgy ground buying 360's second hand, they may come with problems that may not be apparent immediately. And buying from a shop means a three month warranty at best.

The next Xbox isn't going to be backwards compatible with 360 games {not immediately anyway}, so it could be a case where having both consoles will be a benefit...in which case, pick him up a new one & you'll get the full warranty with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭No1XtinaFan

Hmmm, you make some valid points there!! I was hoping to keep the cost below €150, how much are new ones going for at the moment? Considering the 7 whatever will be out soon?
    I must look it up! Thanks a lot for your input :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sulc84

Is it slim model or older ?

Doesn't really matter, does it?!
    Just want to get him a 360 to do him until he gets to buy the new one as his own one is broken. I bought it in 2005 when it first came out, it's white and I'm sure it was 250gb, don't think I need to get one with such a huge hardrive this time considering he won't have it that long...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sulc84

I also had older model ,then rrod happen ,and then sold parts of it (hdd,gamepad,cable).

• Advertisement

sulc84 wrote: »
    I also had older model ,then rrod happen ,and then sold parts of it (hdd,gamepad,cable).

I have no idea what you just said!!

Would it make much difference to game play if I got a 4gb instead of 250gb?
    Argos have this http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9271665/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CVideo+games%7C14419738/c_2/3%7C19780877%7CXbox+360%7C14419847/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419847%7CXbox+360+consoles%7C14419848.htm for €183

He is the type of person that will play the game for a few days or a week, complete it and not play it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I have no idea what you just said!!

Would it make much difference to game play if I got a 4gb instead of 250gb?
    Argos have this http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9271665/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CVideo+games%7C14419738/c_2/3%7C19780877%7CXbox+360%7C14419847/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419847%7CXbox+360+consoles%7C14419848.htm for €183

He is the type of person that will play the game for a few days or a week, complete it and not play it again.

If the broken one is a slim too, he should be able to take the hard drive from that, and put it in the new one, so the 4GB model would be fine and it's easy to do.
    If he has the older model, its not so easy.

No it's definitely an older model...

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

I haven't seen any of the old models for sale in a Gamestop in a long time but you might be able to find one on Amazon if you don't mind shopping online. That's what I did when my original broke and I didn't want to have to buy a new hard drive. I would expect you can find one of those new for your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

He could try this to use his old drive in a slim.
    http://www.insidegamingdaily.com/2010/08/25/use-old-xbox-hard-drive-in-slim/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

If its the older model xbox he had , then your better off getting an older model second hand as the hard drive wont fit into it.The 4gb console is a waste of time and money.Try donedeal, there's plenty of consoles there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

www.adverts.ie there are loads of older Xbox consoles there for sale and its a highly moderated and trustworthy site...

Or buy on donedeal or buy and sell and get ripped off with scammers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Theres a shop,just here,
    http://ie.webuy.com/stores/store_details.php?id=1500
    i got old model,,not slim,
    120 euro, no hardrive,in 2012.old style white,elite with hdmi out, with controller.
    it was very nice ,as new, not a mark on it.
    clean as a pin.

http://ie.webuy.com/stores/store_details.php?id=1500
    http://ie.webuy.com/product.php?mode=buy&catid=783

OBVIOUSLY the ones on adverts would probably be cheaper.

You can use his old hardrive on it.
    or buy a hardrive there,
    they charged me 14 euro for the hardrive.

if i,m buying one on adverts.ie ,
    i just put in a game,
    play a dvd ,for 5 minutes.
    to test it.
    i think you get 2 months gaurantee, not sure exactly.
    DO NOT lose the receipt.
    you get powerunit,console,controller,
    in a red bag.
    i don,t know if you,ll get a drive hardrive included.
    His old drive will work on it,
    even if his console is dead.
    Thats about 6 minutes walk from the spire, o,connell st.

Advertisement