Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"How do you get rid of your rubbish?"

Options
  • 15-05-2013 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭

DCC have brought in rules to require businesses and householders to use an "approved collector" to get rid of their rubbish.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dubliners-will-have-to-prove-how-they-dispose-of-waste-1.1393650

If they didn't shaft the city by unilaterally selling the rubbish collection business to private firms, they mightn't have such a big problem with fly-tipping.

I'm still baffled at how they managed to sell what they deemed a loss-making business (thereby losing the revenue from it) yet still have to pay the workers that did the job anyway (where were they redeployed to?).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Yakuza wrote: »
    DCC have brought in rules to require businesses and householders to use an "approved collector" to get rid of their rubbish.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dubliners-will-have-to-prove-how-they-dispose-of-waste-1.1393650

If they didn't shaft the city by unilaterally selling the rubbish collection business to private firms, they mightn't have such a big problem with fly-tipping.

I'm still baffled at how they managed to sell what they deemed a loss-making business (thereby losing the revenue from it) yet still have to pay the workers that did the job anyway (where were they redeployed to?).

Don't blame DCC for fly-tipping blame the dirty scumbags who do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

So fly tipping is okay because DCC changed their waste collection methods....

ridiculous notion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Sorry, I made my point badly. (Must have caffeine before posting!)
    Don't blame DCC for fly-tipping blame the dirty scumbags who do it.

Of course it's the people that do the dumping that are to blame, but the situation has been exacerbated by the turning over refuse collection to private firms (who (in my experience, at least) have done nothing but ratchet up the charges since taking over), to where it's come to a point that more people can't afford to pay these charges.
    listermint wrote: »
    So fly tipping is okay because DCC changed their waste collection methods....
    ridiculous notion.
    How did you manage to parse that from my post?

What I was trying to say was that DCC will end up probably spending more money on this inspection system, offsetting any savings they might have made from selling the rights in the first place.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Some staff were redeployed to bring centres I believe. I know my local centre that used to open 9-5 now opens 8-8 because there is more staff to man it.

That's better public service in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

This is a ridiculous proposal/bylaw.

Our household dosnt pay any bin charges. We bring all recyclables to the local recycling centre, compost our raw food waste in the garden, feed the meat/fish scraps to birds and the cat, and if or when we have unrecyclable waste, we deposit it in a family members bin with permission (though this type of waste is minimal).

We have no 'paper trail' for which we can prove we do these things. But I am surprised that so many people pay for waste disposal as the overwhelming majority is recyclable or compostable.

The council can feck off if they think they are going to force us to sign up to a rip-off private waste collection service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Why are people angry with DCC selling off the bins. The service was over priced and horrific. If your bin was collected theyre attitude for was often tough luck.

With the market deregulated its far cheaper and the service is far better. Try living in Germany and having 7 different bins and having to buy €35 for a black bin thats half the size of the bins we have here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

coolemon wrote: »

Our household dosnt pay any bin charges. We bring all recyclables to the local recycling centre, compost our raw food waste in the garden, feed the meat/fish scraps to birds and the cat, and if or when we have unrecyclable waste, we deposit it in a family members bin with permission (though this type of waste is minimal).

We have no 'paper trail' for which we can prove we do these things. But I am surprised that so many people pay for waste disposal as the overwhelming majority is recyclable or compostable.

The council can feck off if they think they are going to force us to sign up to a rip-off private waste collection service.

This is what we do too. I suppose we'll have to buy one or two black bag stickers to 'prove' we pay occasionally.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Really, are you so surprised when you bring waste you can't manage, to those whose you can topup? No matter how negligible the amount may be, they'll be paying for that service you used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Can't see this being used against normal households, only against the dirty bastards that dump stuff over walls or leave bags beside bottle banks.

How could they enforce this, if it was a rental and was empty for a number of months would they come looking for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Again, we keep our waste to a minimal and we won't be able to prove where our waste goes. Does that mean we are going to have to pay account operational fees for the sake of 4 bags a year. Seems unfair.

With that being said, the back of our houses use to have a play area until new apartments went up 6 months ago and now it's been turned into a car park/dumping area. I've actually witnessed people parking their car and dumping black bags from the boot of their cars.

• Advertisement

when you bring waste you can't manage, to those whose you can topup?

By virtue of me bringing it to a family members bin, and with their consent depositing it there, I am managing the waste.

You also assume the family members are not remunerated in some way for my depositing there. An assumption which you have little to no information to base the assumption upon. So it is probably better that you desist.

Love2love wrote: »
    Again, we keep our waste to a minimal and we won't be able to prove where our waste goes. Does that mean we are going to have to pay account operational fees for the sake of 4 bags a year. Seems unfair.

With that being said, the back of our houses use to have a play area until new apartments went up 6 months ago and now it's been turned into a car park/dumping area. I've actually witnessed people parking their car and dumping black bags from the boot of their cars.

How do you manage to keep ypur waste down to 4 bage per year? That pretty impressive. And how do you get rid of those 4 bags?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

hfallada wrote: »
    Why are people angry with DCC selling off the bins. The service was over priced and horrific. If your bin was collected theyre attitude for was often tough luck.

With the market deregulated its far cheaper and the service is far better. Try living in Germany and having 7 different bins and having to buy €35 for a black bin thats half the size of the bins we have here

I was annoyed at having to pay for bins at all (what do my taxes pay for - but that's another day's debate)), but deregulation has not been cheaper or better in my experience. My total bill this year will be greater than last year's, both of which are greater than when DCC ran things. Hopefully there will be a cheaper alternative at the end of this year, when my current contract runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

It's probably illegal to give your rubbish to someone else to get rid of I doubt if the council would accept that response.

Even though I put out the black bin only 3 or 4 times a year I was happy to pay the council, but when a new operator took over I just said 'ah here', based on their track record it felt a bit like paying Tony Soprano, so I haven't paid since. Now I bring all green & brown waste to the bring centre a few mins away & every 5/6 months I pay to get rid of 1 or 2 black bags.
    I know tipping has become a huge issue, & a loads of litter bins in suburban Dublin have been removed.
    It's a real shame that private companies are making profit out of waste while the council were making a loss, & the council is still picking up the tab for illegal dumping.

L

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

By virtue of me bringing it to a family members bin, and with their consent depositing it there, I am managing the waste.

You also assume the family members are not remunerated in some way for my depositing there. An assumption which you have little to no information to base the assumption upon. So it is probably better that you desist.

I wasn't assuming they weren't remunerated by you, nor implying it. I was merely commenting on how you appeared to be shocked by the idea that people pay for waste disposal, yet you seem to demonstrate a reliance on others that do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I wasn't assuming they weren't remunerated by you, nor implying it. I was merely commenting on how you appeared to be shocked by the idea that people pay for waste disposal, yet you seem to demonstrate a reliance on others that do.

The problem is, if you recycle and compost efficiently, you can end up with very small amounts of 'black bin' rubbish, which you either keep festering for weeks or even months somewhere until it fills a bin or a bag that you pay the charge for, or you put it in a family member's bin, with their knowledge.

Advertisement