Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotels holding credit card details

Options
  • 15-05-2013 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I'm goin on a stag in a few weeks and I have to give my credit card as guarantee for any damage.hotel is already paid for but they want 2 keep it on record just in case.i don't know all the lads that are goin but seeing as I've already paid for the hotel after I check in can I ring the bank and say I lost my card just in case there is any damage?? Has any1 done this and is it ok 2 do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It's actually simpler than that, don't create any damage and you won't have a problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Tommy Dillon

To be fair its out of the OPs hands if strangers start a riot. I think its poxy that the hotels do this... is it not illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Budt182

jester77 wrote: »
    It's actually simpler than that, don't create any damage and you won't have a problem.

I'm not planing on it but deres 22 lads goin and I tink sum off dem with a few drinks in dem cud b fools and haven't any cop on

Did you pay for the whole group?

Otherwise you will only be responsible for your own room, don't let anyone into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You made the booking, you are liable.

The hotel have the option to take a cash deposit on checking in, but very few do that these days. They want a credit card in case of damage, and they are well within their rights to request this. If you do not provide it, then they have the right to cancel the booking.

So, if there is any damage, you need to get the money back from those who cause the damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Budt182

jester77 wrote: »
    Did you pay for the whole group?

Otherwise you will only be responsible for your own room, don't let anyone into it.

Ya they took all the money paid up in full so was just tinking of checking in and then ringing the bank sayin I lost the card so they will freeze the account.maybe notin will happen but just 2 b sure

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Standard operating procedure ,
    As the booking is under your name you will be liable for any damage to be charged ,
    Your best bet is an agreement between everybody going that any damage is paid in cash to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Ask them are they registered under the Data Protection Act and what is their policy on data retention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Budt182 wrote: »
    Ya they took all the money paid up in full so was just tinking of checking in and then ringing the bank sayin I lost the card so they will freeze the account.maybe notin will happen but just 2 b sure

I wouldn't advise this course of action.

Check your travel insurance it may cover you for hotel damage. If you don't have your own travel insurance I strongly recommend it for this trip. Not just ticking the box when you book the flights, get your own cover. Explain the situation to them, they might be able to offer you some kind of extended protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

I've done group bookings before like this and on check-in the hotel has always requested a card for those purposes for EACH room, so it was then up to whoever was sharing a room to figure out who's card would be used. Just make sure that the hotel does this and then you will only be liable for your own room - if its your card that is down for that. ;)
    The fact that you booked the group, does not need to mean that you are liable for everything. If they wont do that, then make sure they clear anything from the rooms that can be purchased (mini-bar etc) and get any 'entertainment services' disabled for all of the rooms before a single key is handed out - that stuff could also end up on your card if your mates don't checkout properly and take care of it.

• Advertisement

ohh, that could leave you with a problem if they cause damage. You will have to hope the person who causes any pays up or you may have to go the legal route.

Don't think there is much point cancelling as there will already be a hold on your account and that will get transferred over to your replacement account when you report the card lost/stolen. So the transaction will still go through, you could query it with the CC company afterwards but I wouldn't fancy your chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Codpeas wrote: »
    I've done group bookings before like this and on check-in the hotel has always requested a card for those purposes for EACH room, so it was then up to whoever was sharing a room to figure out who's card would be used. Just make sure that the hotel does this and then you will only be liable for your own room - if its your card that is down for that. ;)
    The fact that you booked the group, does not need to mean that you are liable for everything. If they wont do that, then make sure they clear anything from the rooms that can be purchased (mini-bar etc) and get any 'entertainment services' disabled for all of the rooms before a single key is handed out - that stuff could also end up on your card if your mates don't checkout properly and take care of it.

Agree with above, have done this a few times in Ireland, UK and USA and the hotel has always asked for each room of lads to check in sperately with a card number as security for room service, damage etc.... per room of lads. Just make sure they do this, in fact call them or email them today and make sure this is their practice and if not, insist.

There is no way I would expose myself to that risk, lads are metal.:eek:

codpeas advice is good. I would ring the hotel, explain that you are part of a group and that you don't personally know everyone, and that everyone should provide their own form of security when they check-in (credit card, passport or cash). That should limit you do your own room.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not planing on it but deres 22 lads goin and I tink sum off dem with a few drinks in dem cud b fools and haven't any cop on
    Please use full words. :)

Advertisement