Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sugar Rocks

Options
  • 11-04-2013 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭

I came across this sugar recently in my inlaws house but cannot find where it is on sale in Dublin and they can't recall where they bought it ....

Large crystals of brown sugar ... maybe the size of peas or half peas ... ?

I tried Fallon & Byrne's and a load of other places, like Tesco, Dunnes, as well as expensive markets - all with no success.

30292%20200%20016_d?$feat$

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Piliger, they are called sugar rocks and you can get them in Superquinn and I have seen them in Tesco too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

jos28 wrote: »
    Piliger, they are called sugar rocks and you can get them in Superquinn and I have seen them in Tesco too
    THanks - but I've been to both in the last month, and have talked top several customer service people .... and they deny ever having seen them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Piliger wrote: »
    I came across this sugar recently in my inlaws house but cannot find where it is on sale in Dublin and they can't recall where they bought it ....

Large crystals of brown sugar ... maybe the size of peas or half peas ... ?

I tried Fallon & Byrne's and a load of other places, like Tesco, Dunnes, as well as expensive markets - all with no success.

Is it Chinese Rock sugar? If it is, you can buy it in all the Chinese stores. You will need to break it to get it to the size shown in the photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Gyalist wrote: »
    Is it Chinese Rock sugar? If it is, you can buy it in all the Chinese stores. You will need to break it to get it to the size shown in the photo.

Don't think, it's Chinese.

It's quite popular in Germany, for example to make a hot drink called 'Grog'. You need 1/2 decent rum, 1/2 hot water and some of those sugar cubes.

So I would ask in Lidl or Aldi ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Don't think, it's Chinese.
    You're right ... the CHinese version, on a stick, is very different.

It's quite popular in Germany, for example to make a hot drink called 'Grog'. You need 1/2 decent rum, 1/2 hot water and some of those sugar cubes.

So I would ask in Lidl or Aldi ;)[/QUOTE]Will do. Tks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

Pilger, I've bought them in Avoca, though it was around Christmas, I've also definitely seen them in Fallon & Byrne. Good luck on your search!

Advertisement