Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peace Commissioner

Options
  • 15-05-2013 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭

Hi, does anyone know a peace commissioner (justice of the peace), notary public or someone else authorised to take statutory declarations in South Dublin?

I've googled in my area but no names have come up - need to get a witness to me signing a form and would prefer not to pay a solicitor. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know a peace commissioner (justice of the peace), notary public or someone else authorised to take statutory declarations in South Dublin?

I've googled in my area but no names have come up - need to get a witness to me signing a form and would prefer not to pay a solicitor. Thanks.

I used a notary public/solicitor in Haigh Terrace (or Adelaide Street, maybe even Mellifont) a few years ago to sign some forms for our wedding abroad. He was the only Notary In DL at the time. Charged us 40 euros I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Jesus, €40 for signing a form? I may have to become a notary public!

It's just a form for claiming a pension I have abroad so requires one signature and a date. €40 seems steep for that. :) I might check with citizens advice, I lived in NZ before and used a free drop in service to get documents witnessed by a justice of the peace. I wonder is there anything like that around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If there is, they aren't easy to find.

I took the view that for the sale of forty quid, it saved two of us taking a day off work, going in to town etc. Plus we were all rich back then!

If there is, they aren't easy to find.

I took the view that for the sale of forty quid, it saved two of us taking a day off work, going in to town etc. Plus we were all rich back then!

And it was for love as well! :)

Mine's only for a boring pension!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Your local Garda Station might have a list of Peace Commissioners in the area.

I'm fairly certain that every District Court Clerk is also a Commissioner for Oaths and as public servants they wouldn't be allowed to take money so you could chance your arm, go to your local District Court office, explain your situation and ask if the court clerk would be prepared to sign your document. I'd avoid going on a day the court is sitting as the clerk normally sits in front of the judge and so would be unavailable to meet you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭eildar

PM sent

eildar wrote: »
    PM sent

Just wanted to post an update in case anyone else searches this in the future. Eildar very kindly sent me a name in the DL area and I'm popping into him this afternoon, he does not charge for signing documents. If anyone else ever wants the details please feel free to contact me.

I contacted a few notary publics in the area and they wanted 50Eur per signature on the document :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 pappe

Hi MurdyWurdy, I would be grateful to you if you could PM me the te details of the peace commissioner in Dublin area, as I need it for the statuory declaration too! Many tahnks!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 pappe

Thanks MurdyWurdy! Very appreciated . All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Hi MurdyWurdy - have sent you a PM for this info also.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 agreenyblue

Hello,

I am in a similar situation and would also appreciate a pm with this information.

PM Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1 emereoreilly27

Hi there, I am struggling to get a hold of a PC to sign some documents for me... Could anyone PM me details? I drive so am willing to go anywhere to avoid having to spend 50euro per doc!!! Thanks :)

Hi there, I am struggling to get a hold of a PC to sign some documents for me... Could anyone PM me details? I drive so am willing to go anywhere to avoid having to spend 50euro per doc!!! Thanks :)

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 47 agreenyblue

I got no answer from the number that was pm'd to me. I went to my local Garda Station and they gave me the location of a local PC. Terenure Garda Station is my local station if you don't get info at a station near you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 quick_silver_

Hello,

Can you please pm me the contact too? Need it for statutory declaration as well. Ideally in Dublin 2 & 4.

Many thanks,

Maria

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ollyj

Hi, I am also looking for a PC to sign documents for me... Can go anywhere in Dublin. Would be much appreciated if someone could pm me details please...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 cris210580

Hi guys,
    Can somebody PM me a address or a ph no of a peace commissioner,please.thanks a lot....or email me cris210580@yahoo.ie
    thanks a lot lads

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rama Block

I am also looking for this information.

thanx in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

Hi, i would be grateful to have info for a peace commissioner as well, many thanks, solicitors charging a fortune for only one page. im also south dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 crewboss69

Eilmar,

I also need a PC in S D.

Please advise!

Tim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Hi

I am also looking for a peace commissioner or commissioner for oaths in south county dublin.
    A PM would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sinbadthesailor

You should note that a peace commissioner is NOT allowed to ask for money for their service. The role is voluntary and is not remunerated in any way shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Just rang Pearse St Garda station for peace commissioners in Dublin 2. They gave me these people:
    Arthur Cullinane 1 South Frederick St.
    Thomas Woods 12 Pearse Square
    James Kavanagh Trustee decisions, Fitzwilliam Square
    Joe McNamara Corrigan Funeral Directors, 5 Lwr Camden St.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Just rang Pearse St Garda station for peace commissioners in Dublin 2. They gave me these people:
    Arthur Cullinane 1 South Frederick St.
    Thomas Woods 12 Pearse Square
    James Kavanagh Trustee decisions, Fitzwilliam Square
    Joe McNamara Corrigan Funeral Directors, 5 Lwr Camden St.

This post is perfectly timed for me, as I needed a signature witnessed by a Peace Commissioner/Commissioner for Oaths, and work just off Harcourt Street. I can confirm that Joe McNamara is still a Peace Commissioner, and a true gentleman about it. Dropped in on the way from work with driver's license and was done in about 5 mins. To top it off, I had missed him earlier after dropping over later than I had mentioned on the phone, but he couldn't have been more understanding/nicer about it, especially considering he had nothing to gain from the whole thing!

Mods, I hope this doesn't seem shillish, and please delete/edit if inappropriate (though shouldn't be, given the lack of any financial aspect), but I think confirmation would be useful to some people, and I couldn't not mention how decent he was about it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Nicknamed

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Just wanted to post an update in case anyone else searches this in the future. Eildar very kindly sent me a name in the DL area and I'm popping into him this afternoon, he does not charge for signing documents. If anyone else ever wants the details please feel free to contact me.

I contacted a few notary publics in the area and they wanted 50Eur per signature on the document :eek:

Hi.
    I'm looking for same. Please message me.
    Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Joe McNamara will do it for free and he's a gent. Corrigan Funeral Directors, 5 Lwr Camden St.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

There is one in Blackrock, Seapoint Avenue, Brendan Mc Loughlin, he is an accountant afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Nicknamed

There are many.
    Just call local garda station and get the number for three to four near you. They do not charge for attesting documents in general so just hang up on whoever is charging for attesting documents!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Peace Commissioner is an interesting position but most of the the powers they used to wield have been removed by various decisions of the higher courts. For example they used to be able to sign warrants and a PC could preside over a 'special court' in his own house or the local nick to remand someone in custody but they can't exercise those functions any more and being able to effectively notarise certain legal documents is pretty much the last official function they can perform.

In the old days, being made a PC was a gong that got given out by the ruling political party to long standing and respectable members of the party as a reward for long service, usually 'grassroots' members of the party who never held elected office. Having 'PC' after your name was a status symbol when people cared about that sort of thing.

Advertisement