Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

knee issues

Options
  • 15-05-2013 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I started running about 3 or 4 months ago, trying to lose weight. Started at 15 stone and now down to under 13, about 5'8 but a pretty muscular build (42 yrs old).

I gave myself a target of four 5km runs per week, Monday to Thursday.

I would run until I couldn't, then walk and start running when able until I'd done the distance. So after a week or two I was running the 5km.

I've since been averaging 6 to 10km per run.

I started out in Nike Vomeros (didn't know any better at the time), but my knees started acting up (swelling under my knee) and there was a click in my Achilles tendon (not painful).

I had gait analysis done and was told I was a mild to moderate over pronator, so I bought ascics gx2000s and a pair of Nike structure 16s on the clerks advice. He was trying to sell me some custom insoles for 40 euro too but unfortunately I'm not made of money.

I ran on these for a bit swapping them every second run, although I favor the gx2000s.
    I've also bought patella straps, which I wear very tight.

I've got pretty crap ankles that sprain easily (can't play soccer anymore) so my feet like to turn in slightly and I'd say I'm a heal striker.

Well the knee pain is in both knees and under them and they feel tender all the time now, even after taking a week off to give them a rest.

A friend told me to try concentrating on moving my hips as opposed to my knees and try landing on the balls of my feet. I've been doing that this week and it seems to be helping a little, but, my Achilles and lower calves are getting sore now.

I never thought I'd like running, always seemed to be a chore before, but lately I love it. I feel great even at the 10km mark and would easily go for another 5k if it wasn't for the leg issues.

So i was running this week after the week off and did 8km on Monday on my toes mostly, then I went out yesterday trying the same thing, at around 6.5km I got a sharp pain in my left knee, so immediately stopped and walked home (pointless pushing it), iced the knee and it seems to be OK today, maybe a little tender.

God this is becoming a wall of text, apologies for that.

Any advise or suggestions would be most welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Mod:Medical advice is in breach of charter. Seek professional advice from a practitioner

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement