Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payment Protection Insurance (PPI) and getting it back?

Options
  • 15-05-2013 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Im wondering if it is possible to get this returned on what Ive paid on a credit card.

Long story short, have a CC with AIB, and was paying PPI all that time without knowing what it was. Now I finally found out, I dont want it and never did (I have a permanent job so I didnt need it).

I see this is being done in England a lot but I dont think its on credit cards?

Any idea if this is eligible for a refund? Or how to get it? Honestly think I was missold this.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

England has a scheme running. It can be PPI on anything; credit cards, loans, mortgages - they really don't care. Unless someone knows of a scheme here I'd firt write to the bank and then to the ombudsman. The companies in the UK take around 40% of the claim so better doing it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Mis-sold is not the same as being unaware.

First, check your documents. If you still have the agreement, you should check there (or ask the bank for a copy). You'll most likely see outlined there and a tick box for yes/no. 99% of folks tended to tick these without thinking/reading.

Mis-selling would when it wasn't suitable for purpose (i.e. you were self employed when it's designed for employees of companies) or when you were told it was somehow compulsory (oh, we can't give you a credit card unless you take payment protection"). They are different issues altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I am just starting out on this process with the EBS as I believe I was mis-sold PPI on my mortgage. I'd be very interested in hearing of others advice or experiences.

Me and my (now) wife took out our mortgage in 2002 with the EBS. At the time my wife worked in the public sector, in the same job that she currently works in, while I am a PAYE employee in the private sector. As with a lot of other people, I suppose it is only in the last few years as the premiums have risen that I decided to look into what I was paying €70 a month for.

It turns out, since my wife is a public sector employee, that she is not in fact covered for involuntary redundancy, and her cover means she would have to be out of work through illness or hospitalisation for <90 days to glean any benefit from this policy.

In other words, this is useless to us as her employer already has adequate sick pays schemes in the event of such an occurrence.

The fact that she is a civil servant was on the application form when we filled it in, which is where I think we have grounds for mis-selling.

Also, we never received a PPI policy document from EBS after taking out the policy - I know this for a fact, all all the documents from around this time were stored together and I went back through them with a fine tooth comb the other night for the third or fourth time).

So, if I were to be made involuntarily redundant (very unlikely), the policy only covers my 50% of the mortgage and only for a period of 12 months, and I would need to be out of work for a minimum of 90 days to make a claim.

I am going to terminate my cover, but I am wondering if anyone has a Word document template for a letter of complaint or any tips on how I should proceed? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭thecelt

Anyone considered using one of those companies out there to look into this for them/?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

thecelt wrote: »
    Anyone considered using one of those companies out there to look into this for them/?

Scammers.

The banks are already investigating and reporting results back to the Central bank. If in doubt, banks are refunding customers. If you don't get a refund from your bank, then you're never going to get one. All the scammers are doing is looking to get a percentage of your refund (if you are owed one) - they will have zero influence on the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

Disagree with ya there, worked in uk for while & seen workmates fobbed off & given run around till they got legal with them.

Do not have any confidence in Banking system in current state voluntarily returning millions

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭disco girl

Was just about to start down the road of reclaiming from Tesco Visa Card. Anyone any experience of dealing with Tesco regarding their Cardholder Protection Policy? It was something I wouldn't have needed....but have noticed it on my cc statements going back to 2007!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Disagree with ya there, worked in uk for while & seen workmates fobbed off & given run around till they got legal with them.

Do not have any confidence in Banking system in current state voluntarily returning millions

You do realise that the UK is a different country? PPI sales were a completely different beast there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Arciphel wrote: »
    I am just starting out on this process with the EBS as I believe I was mis-sold PPI on my mortgage. I'd be very interested in hearing of others advice or experiences.

Me and my (now) wife took out our mortgage in 2002 with the EBS. At the time my wife worked in the public sector, in the same job that she currently works in, while I am a PAYE employee in the private sector. As with a lot of other people, I suppose it is only in the last few years as the premiums have risen that I decided to look into what I was paying €70 a month for.

It turns out, since my wife is a public sector employee, that she is not in fact covered for involuntary redundancy, and her cover means she would have to be out of work through illness or hospitalisation for <90 days to glean any benefit from this policy.

In other words, this is useless to us as her employer already has adequate sick pays schemes in the event of such an occurrence.

The fact that she is a civil servant was on the application form when we filled it in, which is where I think we have grounds for mis-selling.

Also, we never received a PPI policy document from EBS after taking out the policy - I know this for a fact, all all the documents from around this time were stored together and I went back through them with a fine tooth comb the other night for the third or fourth time).

So, if I were to be made involuntarily redundant (very unlikely), the policy only covers my 50% of the mortgage and only for a period of 12 months, and I would need to be out of work for a minimum of 90 days to make a claim.

I am going to terminate my cover, but I am wondering if anyone has a Word document template for a letter of complaint or any tips on how I should proceed? Thanks.

I would be interested to hear how you got on with this if you chose to pursue it. I'm in a very similar position and have a solicitor working on it. He received a strong response from the EBS this morning dismissing our claim for mis-selling but I'd like to hear how others have gotten on

• Advertisement
Advertisement