Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Safe

Options
  • 15-05-2013 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭

The threads about the safe got me thinking about getting one.

What are people's opinions on those digital ones Vs one that's sunk into the floor Vs say something like this: Socket Safe or this: small key only safe

Would love to have one of those underfloor buried in concrete ones, but we have wooden floors & a huge cavity under the house :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

The old adage of you get what you for is the case with safes. You are correct with your idea of under floor etc.

My advice to you would be to get onto to a professional locksmith. I am sure one of these guys would give you best advice. To my own mind a safe is pointless unless it is bolted down into concrete and cannot be lifted.
    I only heard of a burglary last week where a safe was thrown into the absent householders wheelie bin and casually taken off site to some other place where the culprits broke the safe open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

I bought small safes before and they will deter the opportunist thief if you secure them very well. But they won't stand up to any kind of sustained assault. So really what you need to ask yourself, is what you're putting in the safe, and how much is it worth to spend protecting it. If you're trying to protect something that people may know is there I would invest in a good safe. For example if somebody knows you have a gun, or a lot of cash, they will come prepared for a safe and a small one has no chance.
    I bought a 2nd hand chubb safe for a reasonable price. Keep an eye on auctionexchange.ie and similar sites for safes from business liquidations. A decent safe will be heavy enough that you may not even need to bolt it down, but that will void any insurance, and again won't stop somebody who knows what they're there for. A good safe, well secured will give you a lot of peace of mind.
    I like the socket safe tho! That would be handy for small items.

Advertisement