Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inspection of rented home?

Options
  • 15-05-2013 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

We just got a call to say that an Insurance company is going to perform an inspection of our rented home that we have lived in for 2 years and we are not permitted to be in the home while this is happening?

Has anyone experienced this before? It's new to me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

rubbish. you cannot be made leave nor do you have to let an insurance company in if you don't want to.

reply to you landlord and tell him you would like to receive paperwork from the insurance company in relation to why they need to visit and inspect and then tell them that once you are satisfied that the visit is necessary you will arrange a time convenient with you for them to visit whilst you are there.

if they push any other agenda tell them you will be raising a dispute with the PRTB if anybody enters the property without your permission as it is a breach of the RTA 2004

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Under no circumstances should you allow an inspection of your home while you are not present, and there is nothing in law that says otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

NOT permitted to be in the home? Who rang you the LL? or the insurance company? If it was the latter, I'd contact the Guards for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Our rented house was inspected by an insurance guy 3 months after we moved in. I think it was due to the landlord switching insurance company.
    We did not have to leave the house and, to be honest, I would have refused to do so if they had requested this. Would make me wonder what they don't want you to see.
    In our case the guy checked all the doors/locks and windows downstairs as well as the alarm. He never went upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

I thought it a bit odd considering all of our belongings and valuables are in the home!

We were just left a voicemail saying they need to organise an insurance inspection on Monday around 5ish and we need to not be here while it is being conducted! Surely that is not right.

• Advertisement

It was the letting agent who contacted us

Saying you need not be there is not the same as saying you cant be there in fairness.

Either way inspections of any nature are carried out at your convenience, and while you are present. The landlord has no right to dictate to you when an inspection will take place. If Monday at 5 does not suit you then tell them to arrange a time that does, and if they try to suggest that they can let themselves into the property in your absence then tell them in no uncertain terms that this will not be happening, and if they try you will take a case against them with the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

jen_23 wrote: »
    I thought it a bit odd considering all of our belongings and valuables are in the home!

We were just left a voicemail saying they need to organise an insurance inspection on Monday around 5ish and we need to not be here while it is being conducted! Surely that is not right.

Reply with a no, that is not acceptable and you will be present.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

do not need to is not that same as not permitted.
    If the time suits you then you can be there, if it doesnt then arrange another time
    who left the voice mail your landlord or the insurance company?

Sorry she said it as in "You NEED to NOT be there" while the inspection is going on.
    It was the Landlord who rang.

• Advertisement

Sorry she said it as in "You NEED to NOT be there" while the inspection is going on.
    It was the Landlord who rang.

were those her exact words?
    You have a right to be there.

I think it sounds like a miscommunication, as in you don't have to be there if you don't want. but you should clarify.
    Ring them back and say that you do not want an inspection done unless you are there and arrange a time that suits you both.

I just played the message again and she said -
    "We need to organise an insurance inspection..... and basically you need to not be at the house while the inspection is going on... "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I would call them back and blast them down the phone for making such an outrages request in the first place. Awkward me would also refuse to that time (to make a point) and offer a couple of other times that suit you ending the call with "under no circumstance is anyone allowed in when I am not there, or else!!":mad:

Sorry, I misread your post. Tell her that you will be present, and if 5pm Monday does not suit then tell her that she needs to arrange a time that does suit you. Under no circumstances can she ask to inspect the property without you being there.

you have a right to be there. make sure you are willing to arrange a time and day to suit you, if they cannot comply then there will not be an inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

"We need to organise an insurance inspection..... and basically you need to not be at the house while the inspection is going on... "

This is BS and I'd immediately question what they are really up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Does that time suit you to be there? Don't reply to the landlord and just be there at that time. Be sure to tell the insurance company that you're renting. Sounds like your landlord is hiding letting out the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Has there been an insurance claim? If yes, perhaps the landlord has not disclosed the rental situation. Otherwise, feel free to tell them to foxtrot Oscar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Sounds like the landlord has not told their insurance company that the house is rented.

Advertisement