Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strawberry Half Marathon - Enniscorthy May26th

Options
  • 15-05-2013 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭

Anybody doing the Strawberry Half, Sunday May 26th.

Nice morning run around (moslty) closed roads, if a little hilly...

I've run it the last few years and there are always a few Boardies ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Yep, I'm pacing it with another few boardsies. Nice race with a good finishing straight!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

Im also doing it, didnt realise there were pacers, i assume there will be a 1:30 pace group to help me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

EMPM wrote: »
    Im also doing it, didnt realise there were pacers, i assume there will be a 1:30 pace group to help me :D

Yep, 1:30, 1:45 and 2:00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

EMPM wrote: »

EMPM,

I might join you for a few miles at the start, if you want company, probably in 1:32 shape at the moment, on that course anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Yep, I'm signed up too.

Ran 1:42:30 in Wexford so hoping to get sub 1:40 if all goes well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭Carlow2011

Yep I'm registered, 1.35 and a bit for Wexford but I hear this one has some more hills, anyone know the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

The hills are gentle enough and what goes up must come down. I don't do too many half marathons but my PB was set in Enniscorthy. If you see a gentle uphill you know the downhill will follow so your time will even out. Enjoy. Go with the pacers if you can. The set up in Enniscorthy is first class. Organised by runners for runners.

Organised by runners for runners.

Sounds good SJ there are so many races organised this weather that are just out for the quick buck and don't give a c**p about the runners. Looking forward to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

MisterDrak wrote: »
    EMPM,

I might join you for a few miles at the start, if you want company, probably in 1:32 shape at the moment, on that course anyway.

I'm doing this also (Thanks again CL & Digger!) and I'll be in around that kinda pace.
    New to this course so eventual time could be between 1:30-1:32 I'd say.
    (Ideally dip just below 1:30!:D)

belcarra wrote: »
    I'm doing this also (Thanks again CL & Digger!) and I'll be in around that kinda pace.
    New to this course so eventual time could be between 1:30-1:32 I'd say.
    (Ideally dip just below 1:30!:D)

The more the merrier, its always good to have a bit of company to help push each other. This is my third attempt at 1:30, previous 1:30:45 & 1:31:14, hopefully 3rd time lucky

• Advertisement

Garmin coure from 2011.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/95414759

Last 3 miles, along the side of the N11, can be busy but they have cones out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Garmin coure from 2011.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/95414759

Last 3 miles, along the side of the N11, can be busy but they have cones out.

It looks notas hilly with elevation cerrections enabled:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/192212015

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

I'll be doing the 5 miler on the day. best of luck to all doing the long one, I'll be cheering y'all at the start!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

long term weather forecast looks perfect :) warm, dry and only a breeze, happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

So how did this go then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Heat & hills, 1.31.39 for myself. I could not fault organisation or anything about the race. The weather was perfect, just a bit to warm for this pale skinned soul. Never thought Wexford was a hilly county!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    So how did this go then?

A HH training plan was required for this one. Hilly and Hot! :D A scenic rolling countryside is what the route entails. Challenging course and combined with the weather it was a tough day out there for racers. Anyone PBing today would tear it to shreds on a flatter course.

However the organisation of the event, marshalling and the maning of the water stations was second to none. Lovely downhill finish into enniscorthy too.

Well done to the organisers and volunteers for a job well done.

Edit: Results here

Yeah, second the thoughts of the lads above.

Excellent organisation, lovely if hilly rout, great weather.

Only small gripe was the lack of strawberries at the end ?

Anyway really enjoyed it and will definitially be back next year.

Nice to meet Tang1 and belcara briefly at the end.

I'll post up a race report in the morning, knackered now, and going to bed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Savage course, beautiful but tough and the sun nearly killed me.

Finished about 40 seconds down on my PB but can honestly say I did my absolute best and left everything I had in me on the road.

Good, honest race but not one if you're after a PB.

Would definitely do it again. Congratulations and huge thanks to the organisers and volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

Y
    Only small gripe was the lack of strawberries at the end ?

I hear you! The last time I was at the race there was a small market running right beside the finish. I stocked up on some amount of strawberries there. No joy this time however.

A few photos from the Strawberry half marathon for those that are interested on RacePix.com. There'll probably be a few more later on today.

• Advertisement

A few photos from the Strawberry half marathon for those that are interested on RacePix.com. There'll probably be a few more later on today.

Just found myself on the photos, think I better keep the shirt at the finish next time ! Not Good, Not good at all !

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

I was in the 5 mile race and have to say like others above the whole day was excellently run from the course to the marshalls to the value for money etc. Really enjoyed it. Well done to all invloved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Just found myself on the photos, think I better keep the shirt at the finish next time ! Not Good, Not good at all !

just wondering where you pinned the race number :)

Always on the back, superstition / luck / stupidity !!! Call it what you will. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

tang1 wrote: »
    Heat & hills, 1.31.39 for myself. I could not fault organisation or anything about the race. The weather was perfect, just a bit to warm for this pale skinned soul. Never thought Wexford was a hilly county!!

Enniscorthy and New Ross would have the most hills, Wexford town just has one up from the Slaney but not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Paced this yesterday and a really well run event. A good tough course to gauge how training is going for anyone and if anyone got a PB yesterday, there's more time to take off on a cooler day and flatter course.

Lovely weather for it too which always helps.

Great day, great race, great support, well organised and highly recommended. A few hills alright but I don't think they were nearly as bad as their reputation. Got a PB by over a minute so definite bonus after the run. A little hot on the run in but made the country side look great. Well done to all:)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭footing

I hear you! The last time I was at the race there was a small market running right beside the finish. I stocked up on some amount of strawberries there. No joy this time however.

Strawberrries in May after the worst winter in recent record?!! Plus the race was run a month earlier than in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

In fairness to the race organisers there were at least two trays of strawberries just after the finish line.
    I was about to go get some when I finished but I had to stand down to avoid heaving on top of them...!!

• Advertisement

Very well organised race. Very quick registration. The race start along the river is lovely and nice to have the hotel there for the facilities. Race didnt go as planned for me but will certainly do it again.

Cheered myself up with a punit of strawberry's for the drive home :pac:

Advertisement