Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iphone 5 not receiving sms without cellular data turned on

• 15-05-2013 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

hi,
    I am experiencing a problem with my iphone 5. it does not receive sms messages if cellular data is off or if i am in a data blackspot. This is very annoying particularly as i go to the UK a bit and turn off data while there.
    I have deactivated imesssage etc but to no avail. has anyone else experienced this issue? i am with Vodafone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

That doesn't sound right. If what's being sent are MMS messages then yes, it makes sense, as you need cellular data for that. But SMS messages don't require cellular data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Are you sure the messages you're (not) receiving aren't imessages? If someone sends you an iMessage you won't receive this with data turned off, the person sending the msg should be able to see the status of the msg. Also the person sending should switch on "send as sms" in the msg settings so it will be sent as sms when the imessage doesn't go through (also if you tap an undelivered imsg the phone will give you the option to send as SMS).
    If it is really sms that you are not receiving it is more likely to be a network rather than a phone problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 biglovin

i think ye might be onto something here. i really only noticed this with work colleagues (who all have an iphone 5) and girlfriend (again iphone 5). I got a friend to text me over lunch there from a normal phone and i received no problem. Its only messages from an iphone i cant receive without data being turned on. I would have thought it would send automatically as sms if it couldnt deliver perhaps they dont have that setting "send as sms" on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

biglovin wrote: »
    i think ye might be onto something here. i really only noticed this with work colleagues (who all have an iphone 5) and girlfriend (again iphone 5). I got a friend to text me over lunch there from a normal phone and i received no problem. Its only messages from an iphone i cant receive without data being turned on. I would have thought it would send automatically as sms if it couldnt deliver perhaps they dont have that setting "send as sms" on.

Thats actually a setting on the iphone you can knock on and off
    I was sending texts and pics to friends in different countries and getting stung when it sent as a sms so I knocked that feature off therefore I knew it wouldnt charge me if it couldnt deliver as an imessage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Check the colour of the incoming SMS/iMessage. Blue or Green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Blue = imessage, green = normal text

Advertisement