Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capel Street Restaurants

Options
  • 14-05-2013 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭

Capel St has a ton of great looking restaurants, but I am yet to try any of them. as asain cuisine can be very hit and miss. I will eat any cuisine, but could somebody point me in the direction of which are actually good? I don't really care about price, as long as the food is good

Madina around the corner on Mary St does the best indian food I have ever had

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Capel St has a ton of great looking restaurants, but I am yet to try any of them. as asain cuisine can be very hit and miss. I will eat any cuisine, but could somebody point me in the direction of which are actually good? I don't really care about price, as long as the food is good

Madina around the corner on Mary St does the best indian food I have ever had

Romano's on Capel Street is a lovely place.
    It's Italian though... still lovely place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Musashi sushi/Japanese place is lovely, excellent gyoza. Not Asian but Brother Hubbard is a proper treat, open breakfast to lunch (and soon into the evening) and I'd rather not have to live without their cinnamon & walnut scrolls

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Thanks for the tips guys n gals, keep em coming :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Hilan is a greta Korean/Chinese restaurant.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g186605-d795221-Reviews-Hilan_Chinese-Dublin_County_Dublin.html

I've had a few things of the menu which were all great but usually i go for the Korean BBQ. You order a portion of whichever meat you want and cook it on a charcoal grill set into the table. Order iceberg lettuce as well. Dip the meat in the spicy sauces which come with it and wrap it in the lettuce. this is the Korean way to eat it. I usually go for the beef or chicken. Good sized portions and it's delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Musashi is great, and it's BYO!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Lovely pub grub in the Black Sheep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Really like musashi, had the tofu steak last time and it was awesome.

And second the black sheep, pretty good as far as pub grub goes, but the drink selection is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Romano's on Capel Street is a lovely place.
    It's Italian though... still lovely place.

I love all the old cycling memorabilia and photos there......Romano himself is a seriously good cyclist.

Food is excellent for the price, home made pasta.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Arisu, Korean, cheap, tasty, 3 euro beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

plus one for Hilan! Love the korean bbq and dumplings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Musashi is great, and it's BYO!

It's BYO wine. Not beer even though it says BYOB on the window. I won't be going back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

You won't be going back because they only want you to bring in a bottle of wine as opposed to a bag of cans?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    It's BYO wine. Not beer even though it says BYOB on the window. I won't be going back.

BYOB = Bring Your Own Bottle. The general assumption is that the bottle is wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

brasserie 7 aint great. No atmosphere, average food. Constantly doing vouchers....
    Black sheep is very nice. Roast beef sandwich with boozy onions...mmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

catch--22 wrote: »
    BYOB = Bring Your Own Bottle. The general assumption is that the bottle is wine.

Buckfast is a wine though...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

catch--22 wrote: »
    That's hardly a reason to ban customers from bringing beer, though.

The policy, like reprazant's assumption of Mr Whirly's "bag of cans", sounds like baseless snobbery to me.

The wrong sort drink beer, dontcherknow.
    /opens bottle of Bucky, rolls around palate

reprazant wrote: »
    You won't be going back because they only want you to bring in a bottle of wine as opposed to a bag of cans?

Bags of bottles of beer. Nice ones too. There was about 8 of us heading there and then up to the black sheep. Wasn't great being stuck with plastic bags of bottles all night.

BYOB means bring your own beer. Always has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

BeerNut wrote: »
    The policy, like reprazant's assumption of Mr Whirly's "bag of cans", sounds like baseless snobbery to me.

It is not baseless snobbery, it is more a given that restaurants prefer to have wine on the table than lots of cans or bottles. It gives a better impression and it means a lot less waste. It depends on the restaurant. You'd expect beer at an Indian, not so much at a French restaurant.
    BYOB or BYO is an initialism meant to stand for "bring your own bottle," "bring your own beer" or "bring your own booze

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BYOB_(beverage)

The 'B' stands for whatever the restaurant want it to stand for.

Anyway, my comment wasn't about the bag of cans, it was about him refusing to go back because they didn't want beer there. I just thought it a strange reaction. Its like refusing to go to a restaurant because they only have a wine list.

The four bottles of beer I had with me that night cost about 3.50 to 4.50 a go. Same with everyone else who was with us. The reason we chose that place was specifically for their BYOB policy meaning we could enjoy nice beer with our dinner as opposed to Peroni or Heineken.

No other restaurant in Dublin that I have come across that does BYOB excludes beer. There are places that advertise BYOW which is fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Joey99

+1 on Brother Hubbard - very tasty and good coffee.

I too am a bit put off by the Asian places but will be giving Musashi and Hilan a go based on recommendations here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

restaurants prefer to have wine on the table than lots of cans or bottles.
    BYOB restaurants I use have glasses. I've been in ones in the past where they've offered to take my beers away until I want them. All manageable. Besides, by that rationale I should be fine with a 75cl beer bottle, shouldn't I?
    You'd expect beer at an Indian, not so much at a French restaurant.
    Heh. You don't know my expectations :D But sushi pairs perfectly with beer. Every other sushi house in Dublin has a range of beers chosen to go with the food so beer in Musashi is entirely reasonable.
    Its like refusing to go to a restaurant because they only have a wine list.
    It's more like going to a restaurant that has "Ask for the wine list" on the menu, and when you do they tell you there isn't one. BYOB creates an expectation that, if you have bottles of your own, you can bring them.

Its like refusing to go to a restaurant because they only have a wine list.

I wouldn't go to a restaurant that only had a wine list. I don't drink wine. I also won't go to a restaurant that only has a poor selection of beer on offer. There are loads of restaurants in town that will cater for people that want to bring their own beer with them. Musashi lost out on a table of 8 that night but The Black Sheep benefited big time.

I wouldn't go to a restaurant that only had a wine list. I don't drink wine. I also won't go to a restaurant that only has a poor selection of beer on offer. There are loads of restaurants in town that will cater for people that want to bring their own beer with them. Musashi lost out on a table of 8 that night but The Black Sheep benefited big time.

I can see how that would be annoying - I love a good craft beer, but personally i wouldn't actively avoid a place just because they didn't have any beer i like (or wouldn't let me bring my own).

Generally good food is my priority when it comes to restaurant choices.

I can see how that would be annoying - I love a good craft beer, but personally i wouldn't actively avoid a place just because they didn't have any beer i like (or wouldn't let me bring my own).

Generally good food is my priority when it comes to restaurant choices.

Why have one when you can have both?

Why have one when you can have both?

Yup, i'm not discounting that at all - just saying it's not a dealbreaker for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

Another +1 for Musashi (easily best sushi in Dublin), Hilan (get the lamb skewers!), and the Black Sheep. Have eaten in Arisu and didn't rate it at all...

I'd also throw Aobaba in there - very passable Vietnamese although it's been surpassed by Pho Viet.

Am dying to try Brother Hubbard... might do that this week...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Musashi sushi/Japanese place is lovely, excellent gyoza. Not Asian but Brother Hubbard is a proper treat, open breakfast to lunch (and soon into the evening) and I'd rather not have to live without their cinnamon & walnut scrolls

Was in Musashi yesterday.......excellento. That Vegetarian Bento Box is delicious.

As for Brother Hubbard.......I do like the food, but I find the staff a bit up their own h*les.....I always seem to be rushed along there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Another vote for Hilan. The food is incredibly tasty for the price and the staff are very friendly if you go regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

I live on capel street and i am addicted to musashi. Their sushi is always delicious.

The food in the black sheep is great. Lovely quesidillas and burgers. They do a great value lunch menu too.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Fusciardis yet! Best chipper around :)

Hilan is yum. There is another Chinese (Sichuan) restaurant right across the road from it that is just as tasty. It's right beside King. not too sure of the name (Chinese) but the sign in black with red writing. I regularly get take out and eat in that place and the food is perfect every time.

One thing we are missing here is a place with really decent brunch menu that serves bloody Marys.

There's also a new Vietnamese place that looks like a bubbles tea shop but it serves a few dishes. It's always busy but I have yet to try it.

Advertisement