Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tired of dumping grass.

• 15-05-2013 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

As the summer is nearly here :-) I am looking forward to a few months of loading grass into my trailer and off to the recycling centre ( I have about an acre of grass) is there an alternative ? I see people just cutting the grass and not picking it up but my garden gets very mossy if I do that. Is a mulcher the answer ? A lawn scarifier ? Certain products ? Can I have a nice lawn without picking up the grass ? I notice the councils don't pick up the grass and the parks aren't too bad any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I collect the grass at least every other cut.

When I collect I then spread the cut grass in around the base of my perimeter hedging. Not sure if I am being weird, but I have it in my head to keep the depth of the cuttings no more than 2".

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

I always dig it into the ground when I plant potatoes .Maybe half and half soil to grass clippings.
    I have to mix it fairly well of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭tippgod

i have an acre too of a lawn. what i use are pallet bays down at the end and use the grass to make compost out of. 2 parts grass to 1 part brown. I get the brown from using a shredder to cut up twigs and branches and also throw in newspapers. Its working ok and it is tidy enough if it is down at the back of the garden.

i used to have a ride on mulching mower and used it for years with little or no issues and just used to scarify the lawn twice a year. The worst thing about the mulcher was you get better results the more often you cut it.

Advertisement