Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What a way to go...

• 15-05-2013 1:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22537627
    An American trying to dribble a football from Seattle to Brazil in time for the 2014 Brazil World Cup has died less than two weeks into his trip.

Where would this rank in your Top 10 unusual deaths? I remember hearing about a woman who was killed on the eve of her 100th birthday, after being hit by the van delivering her birthday cake. So cruel...

Anyone got any gems?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Couldn't help but laugh at the van one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Watched a cartel video and 2 guys got their heads sawed off by a chain saw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

jugger0 wrote: »
    Watched a cartel video and 2 guys got their heads sawed off by a chain saw

Well that escalated quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

[QUOTE= http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22537627 ]
    An American trying to dribble a football from Seattle to Brazil in time for the 2014 Brazil World Cup has died less than two weeks into his trip.
    Richard Swanson, 42, was hit by a truck in Lincoln City, Oregon. His football was found nearby.
    Swanson had set off from Seattle on 1 May aiming to raise money for the One World Futbol Project, according to his Breakaway Brazil website.
    One World Futbol donates durable footballs to developing countries.
    Swanson hoped to travel through 11 countries including Guatemala, Mexico and Colombia.
    "It will be a trip of a lifetime where I will push myself further then I ever thought possible," he wrote on his website.
    "I felt destined that I should go on this trip," he had said in a previous interview with The Longview Daily News.
    A statement on Swanson's Facebook Page announced Swanson's death and said: "His team, family, friends, and loved ones will miss him and love him dearly. You made it to Brazil in our hearts, Richard."
    An 'inspiring man'
    In a YouTube video uploaded in March, Swanson explained that he had lost his job in graphic design, after switching from a career as a private investigator. He was having "a hard time" finding another job and it had given him time to "think about what you want out of life".
    He said he'd always wanted to go to the World Cup and instead of walking there, wanted to honour the tournament by dribbling a football.
    Having no mortgage, no career and two grown up sons meant that "all the pieces seemed to fit" for making the trip, he said.
    "We are deeply saddened to learn about Richard's death," Lisa Tarver, chief operating officer of the One World Futbol Project said in a statement to AP.
    "He was a very inspiring man who in a very short time walked his way into many lives. Our thoughts are with his family."
    The driver of the truck has not been charged, the Associated Press reports.
    [/QUOTE]

Sure he's carrying the ball in the pic, if he would lie about that what's to say he didn't fake his own death... eh??? eh??????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I remember reading on the BBC website about 3 cliff walkers dying.

Amazing that they all had the same name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Anyone got any gems?

Im pretty sure the inventor of the segway died by driving one off a cliff (accidentally).
    He should have invented the hoverboard instead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

My uncle was smothered to death by thirty women in a harem in Yemen in the 50s.

Apparently his coworkers saved him several times before he finally suffocated.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Dying playing football, that's the way to go :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

How about that guy that died while trying to fake his own death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭justaskin likeyakno

Read about a parachute jumper who survived loads of successful jumps then fell through a clothes horse in his house and got strangled.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

stimpson wrote: »

Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22537627

Where would this rank in your Top 10 unusual deaths? I remember hearing about a woman who was killed on the eve of her 100th birthday, after being hit by the van delivering her birthday cake. So cruel...

Anyone got any gems?

He got hit by a truck, its not really unusual is it?

Impaled through the head during a tornado by a flying dildo - thats unusual. Hit by a truck - not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

stimpson wrote: »
    Are you thinking of Coronation St?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Wasnt there a plane crash caused by a crocodile or alligator getting loose and was the only one to survive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

tin79 wrote: »
    He got hit by a truck, its not really unusual is it?

Impaled through the head during a tornado by a flying dildo - thats unusual. Hit by a truck - not so much.

Whilst dribbling a football from Seattle to Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

brummytom wrote: »
    Are you thinking of Coronation St?

No. Definitely not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I did hear of a guy in the States who was showing off a new office in a skyscraper to some people. To demonstrate the quality of the windows, he ran at the glass, it smashed and he fell to his death.

Not sure if it's true but it would be fairly unfortunate if it was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I did hear of a guy in the States who was showing off a new office in a skyscraper to some people. To demonstrate the quality of the windows, he ran at the glass, it smashed and he fell to his death.

Prob more embarrassing for the window manufacturers tbh :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

A fella out hunting shot in the head by his own gun after stopping for a pi55 leaving the gun standing up and a snake wrapped around the trigger and shot him.
    I seen this on thousand ways to die

Two fellas lickin toads in oz and both licked wrong ones and died
    Another two lads sniffed line of fire ants and well u can guess the results

This one is gas
    http://youtu.be/-eehSukIwXA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

From Wiki:

1518: In the Dancing Plague of 1518 a woman (and eventually a league of 400 people) uncontrollably danced for a month causing dozens of participants to die of stroke and exhaustion. The reason for this occurrence is still unclear

Reminds me of the Dancing Priest Fr.Liam Finnegan from Father Ted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

One case that always stuck with me was of that young Italian lady that went hitchhiking in a wedding dress to promote world peace and show the decent side of the humanity.

She was found in some bushes after having been raped and murdered. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

kfallon wrote: »
    Prob more embarrassing for the window manufacturers tbh :pac:

were they underneath on the ground and broke his fall? what are the chances!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I heard that the window held but the frame buckled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I heard that the window held but the frame buckled.

That could have been it, I only vaguely remember the details. Still an awful way to go!

Uroko Onoja, a Nigerian polygamist businessman, died after being forced by five of his six wives to have sex with each of them. Onoja was caught having sex with his youngest wife by the remaining five, who were jealous of him paying her more attention. The remaining wives demanded that he also have sex with each of them, threatening him with knives and sticks. He had intercourse with four of them in succession, but stopped breathing before having sex with the fifth.

Death by snu snu!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

Garry Hoy, I had nightmares about him after reading it. Gobsh*te...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 SkadooshJ

I love reading about these kinds of things :)

• Advertisement

I remember reading one in a medical mystery book where a man took ill on a flight. A woman gave him some herbal remedy and he died soon after.

It turned out from the autopsy that he was ill from the effects of cocaine in his system from a condom that burst in his digestive system. The herbal remedy was oil based and popped the other dozen or so cocaine filled condoms and subsequently died of a massive overdose.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

One case that always stuck with me was of that young Italian lady that went hitchhiking in a wedding dress to promote world peace and show the decent side of the humanity.

She was found in some bushes after having been raped and murdered. :(

An awful way to go, but ironic at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

There was that lad in Limerick a few years back who was showing his dirt bird mates how to execute someone. He was using a gun with the clip removed but forgot to check the chamber before putting a bullet in his own head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

From Wiki:

1518: In the Dancing Plague of 1518 a woman (and eventually a league of 400 people) uncontrollably danced for a month causing dozens of participants to die of stroke and exhaustion. The reason for this occurrence is still unclear

Reminds me of the Dancing Priest Fr.Liam Finnegan from Father Ted.
    I thought you were taking the piss. :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_Plague_of_1518

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

jubella wrote: »

Talk about taking a danger **** a bit too far :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement