Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La brea brothallach a bhi ann....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭nosnagaoithe

Friday - 7M v easy around Newbridge Demesne. Legs quite tired after last night so a handy few miles on the grass.

Sat - Scheduled day off

Sun - 16M LSR in 2'09. Meet up with TC at 0930 in Phoenix Pk for this one. It was like a winters day, wet and windy but we trotted out 16M reasonably well. Did a loop up from Papal Cross down to the zoo and up the north road, before crossing over and going down Ordnance Survey Road, up the S-bends and back around to car at Papal Cross to take on some fluids. Second loop was up Chesterfield to Castleknock Gate, down the North Road, over past Magazine Fort and up the nasty, twisty hills at St. Mary's Hospital at 15M mark which was a real tester. Very happy with this, felt strong in last mile and picked it up a little to see what was in the tank.

Week in review : Plan was for 50M , got 47M done so happy enough. Some good quality in there with 10k PB, and a solid LSR. On the right track again.

Plan this week : 50M again, with 14M midweek med/long and 17M LSR. Going to introduce Jack Daniels T-pace session (thanks Peckham!) and also try fit in a sports massage later in the week.

Mon - 5M recovery run in 41'40. On the grass in Sean Moore Park at lunchtime. Nothing to report - legs freed up after a couple of miles and was making sure the splits stayed slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Going to introduce Jack Daniels T-pace session

What's the plan?

Did you buy the book?

Peckham wrote: »
    What's the plan?

Did you buy the book?

Plan is to introduce the 2*20 min session and develop it from there. Last year I developed the midweek med/long into a session like : 12-14M inc 3/4*1.5/2M @HMP. I want to get some consistent milage done and work on LT this year. I'm waiting on delivery of a Nook, and heading off on hols in 2 weeks, so I think I know what book I'll be getting first....

• Advertisement

Tues - scheduled rest day

Wed - midweek 12M run : did my usual route after work from Ringsend to Dun Laoghaire and back ....but quicker this week with average pace of 7'43. This felt really good and we squeezed out some miles between 7'28 - 7'38 on the way back in. I've been short of energy this week and barking like a dog, so was not looking forward to this but once I got going it was enjoyable. Nice evening for it too which always helps. Am building nicely at the minute and am about 1 month ahead of schedule in DCM training which is exactly where I wanted to be given the holidays, etc coming up in July.

Thursday - handy 6M in 51 min around the back roads of Lusk at 8.45pm. Pace was v easy as have a session later today which will be tough going. Ended up doing a section of this on the hard shoulder of the old N1 which I hate, as it's too busy a road to run on - need must in this instance. Definitely moving into section 2 of the marathon cycle now - building blocks in place and ready to up the ante in terms of PMP miles and longer tempos.

Ended up doing a section of this on the hard shoulder of the old N1 which I hate, as it's too busy a road to run on

I completely avoid that stretch of road unless I'm running to Lusk from elsewhere (I always associate it with rats which I have an irrational fear of). For a 6ish mile run, my preferred route would be the loop up by the Educate Together school, along the Loughshinny road and back down the road that comes out at Raheny Roundabout. That or two laps of bypass-Chapel Farm-Dun Emer-Treen Hill.

Are you doing the Lusk races next weekend?

[
    Are you doing the Lusk races next weekend?[/QUOTE]

Sure am - will give the 12k a lash ....will be sure to say hello. Have a couple of mates coming up to run, so might try sneak in a beer or two afterwards. To be honest, the thought of 3 loops is not very appealing but I missed this last year due to injury after Kildare mara, so I want to do it this year.

Fri - Session : 10M inc 2 *2M @ LT pace (6'40).

Stopped into Newbridge Demesne, Donabate on way home from work for this one. Started off with 3M easy on grass, then hit the tarmac for the first 2M block - not sure what happened here, but think the Garmin lost signal as I ran through a heavily forrested section, and the first mile timed at 7'07, next mile was bang on 6'40. Ran 1M easy and then did the second block 6'38 then 6'36 , and finished off with 2M cool down. A good session all told and one I'll be using again. Legs felt sore and heavy afterwards for the first time in a few months. Badly need to get in for massage next week some stage.

• Advertisement

After Friday's session I was feeling good and looking forward to one more tough week before a break as I head off on hols. This left just Sunday's LSR to complete the week.

Sat - scheduled rest day : spent the day looking at floor tiles and wooden floors ...nice :(.

Sun - 17M LSR (abandoned) : plan was usual route out and back Lusk-Rush-Loughshinny-Skerries. I got out just after 10am and at around 3M felt a twinge on outside of the left knee. Stopped and poked around at it but knew in my heart of hearts it was the ITB acting up. Tried another mile just to see and it got no better. A long 4M walk back to the house and then some foam rolling and icing for the rest of the day. Am going to get it worked on tonight, so hopefully won't be too much of a set back. Was due to run a local race this Sunday but that's unlikely now.

Went in for massage on the dodgy IT band last night and by jaysus was it sore. Got the whole area treated TFL, glutes, lower back, ITB, etc. It's very tender today so I'll just ice it tonight and try do some more stretching and icing tomorrow. Might try an easy 3 or 4M on Thursday and see how it feels. Will make the call on Sunday's race at that stage.

Have been icing the area all week to reduce inflammation and did no running at all. Went to the gym at lunchtime and did 15 mins on the bike to loosen up, before approaching the dreadmill with a sense of foreboding. Did just 15 mins really easy and no ill effects. Followed up with some stretches and further work on the IT Band. Looks as if it is ok now but I will be treading carefully. Am faced with a dilemma : run the 12k race on Sunday and hope for no reaction, or take the rest of the week very easy and do not race. I missed this race last year due to injury, and I'd really like to hammer it out as a benchmark of where I am at. Will make the final call on Saturday.

Are you sure you want to race at full tilt? Risks seem high.

If you don't race, can you stand somewhere on the course with a hose?! It's looking like a hot one!

Fri - Gym again : Bike/3M run/stretching combo

Another session in the gym today - started off with some stretches and a bit of foam roller work. Cycled 10 min easy on the bike to warm up and then hit the dreadmill for 3 miles easy. No reaction to speak of, so looking good so far. Will try 5/6M easy tom mng and see how we go. More stretching and icing tonight at home.

After much deliberation I decided to run the 12k race yesterday. Got a 2M warm up done and was pumping sweat as it was roasting hot. Decent enough turn out for a low key local race, and we got going just after 2pm. Got out ok with first mile in 6'37 and then second mile slower at 6'53. Already I was feeling the heat very badly....mile 3 was 6'59. At this stage, I was parched and badly needed water for fear of dehydration. Mentally, I had given up on any decent race time and decided to just finish out best I could. The remaining splits were low 7 mins for a total of 51'30, and I had the course about 400M short. They were the toughest conditions I ever ran in and there seemed to be no relieving wind. Ended up being more of a tempo training run than anything else so some training benefit will have been achieved. The ITB held up well which is great. Off to Spain on Wed for 2 weeks but will be bringing the running gear with me. Plan will be to tick over with just easy miles whilst away.

Well done on sticking it out. I dropped out of the race after the first lap. Had developed a bad stitch that wasn’t shifting and was slowing down badly. Didn't see the point in continuing as I'm now planning a heavy week of training.

Given I was so close to home it was too easy to drop out. Ended up watching the race from my garden with my over-excited two year old before walking over to the finish area. Hopefully he gave you a cheer!

Hoping to get back on the horse tom after holiday hiatus. I spent 2 weeks in Nerja with the family and managed 5/6 easy 6 mile runs. DCM being 14 weeks from yesterday I need to pick it up fairly sharpish. I'll give it a lash and see what happens....onwards and upwards....

It's been a mixed few weeks on the training front - the injury situation only really just resolved itself, and I was restricted to 5/6 mile runs , all easy pace. I got 12M done yesterday and no reactions so am going to push on from here. 70 days to DCM from today so going to be v tight - hopefully the base built up over the last 5 years will stand me in good stead. Plan is to get back to focusing on endurance work - midweek 12-14M, LSR at weekend, and one 8-10M tempo run, plus general aerobic/recovery work. Let's see how it goes.

Monday - 5M recovery run in 41'20
    Nice lunchtime run on grass in Sean Moore Park. Calves really tight though so needed a good stretch last night. Rest today and midweek 12M tom night.

• Advertisement

Tues - off

Wed - 12M med/long run after work in 1'37''40. Very muggy and humid during this run but glad to get it ticked off. Legs felt fine and was quite comfortable throughout. Plan for rest of week is easy miles today, with a tempo tomorrow, and then LSR Sunday. Feel the fitness coming back already which is good. No races until Grant Thornton 5k on Sep 10th - we have a strong team put together so may even feature in the prizes!!

Thursday - easy 4M recovery run and stretches

Fri/Sat - rest

Sun - 15M LSR 2'03''37
    After a boozy Friday night this was always gonna be tough. Throw in a hot day and a decent headwind and it was a decent dig to get it done. Having set that, I put the foot down a bit over the last 1.5M and got a good response so the endurance base is still getting me out of jail. Got my 6 year old to hose me down with the garden hose when I get back, which he was more than happy to oblige!! Felt stiff enough afterwards so got a good stretch in, and a bit done on the foam roller.

Mon - pushed the easy recovery miles out to tom, as the left knee felt sore again. Just precautionary to add in a day's rest, as am still ramping up the miles slowly. Will move things around in the schedule a bit this week, but should be fine. 63 days to go.....

Tues - 6M inc 3M @ HMP (7'08/7'00/6'58)

After a good session with the foam roller last night (very painful - for anybody who gets ITBS you'll know what I mean), the legs felt v good today. Did 2M warm up and then ran a block of 3M with each a touch faster than previous (not intentional). Felt there would have been one more mile in there if required but played safe with the midweek med/long coming up tom. I'll add another 2M @HMP to this run next week and continue to build out the speed endurance. Another positive step on the long and winding road to DCM.....

Wed - 12M med/long run in 1'36''35 (48'49 out / 47'46 back)
    Nice evening for the midweek run out and back along the coast road Sandymount , Blackrock, etc. Was humid enough out there, glad we made a water stop at half way. Nothing major to report otherwise. Legs feeling ok - a little tightness in the calves, but that's par for the course with me. Just a gentle 5M later today and a rest day tomorrow - I will do some S&C work, and foam rolling though. Plan is 17M LSR this weekend - I should really be hitting 20M at this stage of the year, but am a little back given the injury lay off. Still, getting fitter now and hopefully looking good for DCM.

Thurs - 4M recovery run in 36.XX
    Headed out after putting kids to bed at 8.30pm. Nothing much to report, tipped around the roads of Lusk and back home. Mild evening, plenty of folks running and walking dogs, etc. In fairness, it's been a great summer with plenty of long settled dry spells throughout, so hopefully it extends into an Indian summer in September.

Fri - Rest
    No running, but will do a session with the foam roller and some stretching, etc, later on.

Thurs - 4M recovery run in 36.XX
    Headed out after putting kids to bed at 8.30pm. Nothing much to report, tipped around the roads of Lusk and back home. Mild evening, plenty of folks running and walking dogs, etc. In fairness, it's been a great summer with plenty of long settled dry spells throughout, so hopefully it extends into an Indian summer in September.

Fri - Rest
    No running, but will do a session with the foam roller and some stretching, etc, later on.

Went out at the exact same time last night. Stuck to the bypass and estates as getting top dark for back roads. We probably ran past each other!

Peckham wrote: »
    Went out at the exact same time last night. Stuck to the bypass and estates as getting top dark for back roads. We probably ran past each other!

Did similar myself, loop of the ring road and then through the village, back via orlynn park and home to Dun Emer. Handy 4 mile spin to shake out the legs.

Sat - missed run , 6M easy....not too upset as was not a key session. Had a busy day spreading top soil, and putting up outside lights on my new extension. Got going at 9am and finished just after 6pm. Was wrecked so made the call to rest up and conserve energy for the LSR on Sunday.

Sun - 17M LSR in 2'20''50.
    Got going at 10 am and it was a nice steady run throughout. Usual hilly route Lusk-Rush-Loughshinny-Skerries and back. Took no gels, just 500ml Lucozade sport at half way mark. Last 4M was tough running straight into the teeth of a freshening wind. Still, got it done reasonably comfortably. I think you only really build marathon endurance at 16M and over, so this is a good one to bank. Was mulling over going straight to 20M this week, but will go to 18M just to be more sensible. Am feeling bits and pieces of stress and strain on both knees, so need to source a new ice pack for post run recovery.

Mon - 4M recovery run in 36 mins. Usual story - nice and slow on the grass to re-generate the legs.

Tues - Rest

Wed - 12M in 1'36
    Very humid med/long run out to Dollymount and back to Ringsend.
    Had serious stomach cramps from the get go until 11pm last night, and a dodgy left knee pain - was in two minds whether to bail or not, but had to HTFU and get it done. Not sure what caused the stomach issues, but it felt like I'd swalllowed a few boulders. Iced the knee last night so hope not too serious. Need to book myself in for a sports massage early next week I think.

• Advertisement

Thurs - 4M recovery run in 37 mins
    Did 4M barefoot on the dreadmill....a strangely liberating experience.
    Word of advice - wear socks or a coating of lube on your plates of meat if considering this....I ended up with a whopper blister for my troubles. Left knee was still a wee bit sore but not a major impediment. Iced it again last night. Session today with some HMP miles inlcuded, and LSR 18M Sunday to round out the week.

Advertisement