Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La brea brothallach a bhi ann....

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭nosnagaoithe

Fri -7.25M inc 1M w/u, 1M MP, 4@HMP, 1.25M c/d
    Interesting session this - hit 7'05/7'06/6'54/6'52 for the HMP miles but was blowing hard at the end. Might have to revise the target a bit for the HM in the Phoenix Pk in 2 weeks. Was happy enough with this really - it's the kind of session I need more of. Picked up match tickets for Lansdowne Road match v Sweden for myself and my 2 boys on the way back - less said about the match the better.

Sat - Rest ...30 minutes work on foam roller and stretches. Focused on ITB, TFL, and glutes, calves. Good to get this done as was shattered tired.

Sun - 18M LSR in 2'25
    Usually hilly route Lusk-Rush-Loughshinny-Skerries and back. No gels , 500ml Lucozade at half way. Felt very comfortable throughout, and possibly the best run I've had in a long while. A little tightness on right achilles, but the knee issue on left leg seems ok now. Have iced achilles and seems much better already. Feeling much more confident about DCM in general now.

Mon - 4M recovery in 35 mins on grass
    Legs felt fine after yesterday's effort. Achilles a small bit tight - will ice it again tonight. Running Grant Thornton 5k race around city centre tom night in a decent team ...likely our strongest man will win it or place top 3 at worst, so we may feature in prizes, although am not sure what the standard will be like overall. Let's see how it goes....

Tues - 6M inc Grant Thornton 5k race in 20'20 (Team finished 12 of 750)
    First ever proper 5k race - I have never raced less then 5M over the last few years. Didn't know what to expect as I have no training done at 10k pace, nevermind 5k pace. Got out pretty quick and clocked 6'16 first mile, but 6'37 and 6'51 thereafter killed the sub 20 attempt. Not to worry - the real test of where I'm at is Sat week in the race series HM. I'd put this down to novelty value and get back to "keeping the main thing, the main thing" ....Oct 28th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Tues - 6M inc Grant Thornton 5k race in 20'20 (Team finished 12 of 750)
    First ever proper 5k race - I have never raced less then 5M over the last few years. Didn't know what to expect as I have no training done at 10k pace, nevermind 5k pace. Got out pretty quick and clocked 6'16 first mile, but 6'37 and 6'51 thereafter killed the sub 20 attempt. Not to worry - the real test of where I'm at is Sat week in the race series HM. I'd put this down to novelty value and get back to "keeping the main thing, the main thing" ....Oct 28th.

20:19 for me. Jussayin'!:D

I'm in the same boat with regard to no VO2 Max training. Happy with a good effort but the speed just wasn't there in the legs.
    You are right to take nothing negative out of that time. The HM will tell you more realistically where you are and I'd be pretty confident it'll be a damn site faster than a 20:20 5k!

belcarra wrote: »
    20:19 for me. Jussayin'!:D

I'm in the same boat with regard to no VO2 Max training. Happy with a good effort but the speed just wasn't there in the legs.
    You are right to take nothing negative out of that time. The HM will tell you more realistically where you are and I'd be pretty confident it'll be a damn site faster than a 20:20 5k!

Good man! Glad I'm not just being delusional .....but I better run a decent race next week or I'll defo have egg on the face :P ...PB is 1'32'33 from Waterford last year so hoping to nick a wee bit off that.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Good man! Glad I'm not just being delusional .....but I better run a decent race next week or I'll defo have egg on the face :P ...PB is 1'32'33 from Waterford last year so hoping to nick a wee bit off that.....

That's very similar to my PB from Bohermeen in March (1:32:49) and I'm hoping to get sub 1:31 at least. Then, with sub 1:30 just there dangling itself in front of me I'll probably aim for that and try to hold on as long as possible!

Managed to pick up a calf strain/tear a few weeks back which resulted in a couple of weeks off, and waved adios to any hope of competing in DCM. Ran a disastrous HM 24 hours after getting off a transatlantic flight which was a lesson learned the hard way.
    After a couple of weeks working with Aidan Woods and his team, I am back running as of today. Just a gentle easy 4M but it's a start.
    The tear itself was nothing serious and hopefully no longer term damage was done.

Plan B is the Clontarf Half on Nov 23rd so that will be the focus over the next 6 weeks or so. Good to be back.....

Fri - 5M easy in 38'50...calf holding up well, a bit of tightness on the sole of the foot, below the heel which I'll try work out with the massage ball later. Otherwise, another step on the road to recovery.

Sat - Off...went for swim with kids

Sun - 6M easy in 49'00 . After a shedload of red wine Sat night I got out the door Sunday morning to dust off the cobwebs and shake the hangover. Nice easy 6M to test the calf again and it came through fine. I'm gonna step it up this week and target 35M for the week but it will be easy miles mainly. I dont want to rush things - if I feel good I may tackle Park Run on Saturday. Plan is to get back to hitting 40-50M p.w. between now and Nov 23rd Clontarf Half. Focus will be to get in some longer tempo runs, and run 2/3 races between now and then.

Mon - 6M steady in 46'24.
    Headed out after work and felt really good so just went with it...and was down in the 7'30's from mile 3 on. A bit of a step up from recent days just to see how the body felt and all was good. Didn't push it at all really, and the cold weather was an incentive to get it over with quickly! Hopefully the calf issue is now fully resolved and I can get a decent 6 weeks training done before the Clontarf Half.

• Advertisement

Tues - Rest

Wed - 5M easy in 38'41
    Nothing major to report , another easy run with legs still ok. Gonna try and get something a little longer done tomorrow.

Thursday - 6M in 46'30

Got a bit stuck for time so get only get 6 miles done as had intended on getting 8M in. Again this was just easy miles and cruising along at no real effort. Mulling over giving Park run a shot tomorrow - don't want to push hard too soon but I think the injuries are behind me now. Only one way to find out......

Fri - Rest

Sat - 6M (inc Malahide Park Run 5k in 21'12)
    Fancied giving the Park Run a shot as had done nothing but easy miles in 2 weeks. The 0930 start is way too early for me for anything other than easy pace it seems - the time was disappointing, and I was spent after about 3.5km. I'm going to work on 5k speed after the HM and see if I can get this sub 20 monkey off my back for once and for all. Still, enjoyed the run and it was a super morning for it weather wise. The Gov could do worse than show some support to these kind of community led initiatives.

Sun - 12M easy in 1'35'30
    A hilly 12M run around the roads of North County Dublin. Found this tough going for the last few miles as the legs were a little jaded. Conditions were tough enough as well with a couple of heavy showers and a decent head wind on the road back into Lusk.

Week : 5 runs / 35 miles done / 1 MLR / 1 speed work
    A decent week in the bag compared to the last few week's .....

Getting v lazy updating this....

Mon - Rest

Tues - 4M steady at lunchtime / 30 mins strength & stretch

Wed - 6M recovery at 9pm ....a late one due to some family issues

Thurs - 5.5M inc 5*800m intervals. Found these tough as I've done very little speedwork in this training block. Target was 3.15 per rep and the garmin showed a 3.17 average so was happy enough given they were done on grass.

Fri - "Cross Training" :D Played golf - got through 15 holes then the weather got really bad so we bailed.

Sat - Was due to get some easy miles in but opted to not run as I've had a sore right foot the last few days and wanted to make sure I got the long run done on Sunday. Went instead for 35 mins strength / stretch sessions and 20 mins easy spin on the bike in the gym.

Sunday - 14M hilly run at 8'07 avg pace
    Tried to get out between the torrential downpours yesterday for a med/long run. It was v windy also and being near the coast I felt the full brunt of it on the way back. The last 4 miles were horrible, running in driving rain and into an extremely strong head wind. Managed to grind it out although the pace did drift a good bit. Anyway, it made what was a very poor week into an ok ish week running wise. Plenty of work to get done before Nov 23rd.

Advertisement