Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Frankfurt - recommendations for areas to live in

Options
  • 15-05-2013 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

As it says on the tin - moving to Frankfurt and I am wondering which parts of the city ppl can recommend to live in. My job will based in the middle of the city.

So far I am thinking Bornheim or Sachsenhausen but should I cast the net wider? Looking for a safe area, good transport but with a bit of a buzz about it - clubs/bars/cafes etc

I don't mind living outside the main city area as long as it is not suburban hell with nothing to do except walk with buggies/pensioners

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

ciagr297 wrote: »
    As it says on the tin - moving to Frankfurt and I am wondering which parts of the city ppl can recommend to live in. My job will based in the middle of the city.

So far I am thinking Bornheim or Sachsenhausen but should I cast the net wider? Looking for a safe area, good transport but with a bit of a buzz about it - clubs/bars/cafes etc

I don't mind living outside the main city area as long as it is not suburban hell with nothing to do except walk with buggies/pensioners

I used to work there, the city is totally different during the week and on the weekend. The city center itself is a bit of a sh*thole, especially around the CBD. You'll have the large redlight district and the junkies shooting up on the street in plain view. They are pretty harmless and the police leave them to it but not a pretty sight. The area around there and Hauptwache are pretty lively during the week. Sachsenhausen is or was pretty dead during the week, gets going at the weekend. Theres usually a decent buzz around Bornheim, Hanauer Landstraße area.

Public transport is good in Frankfurt no matter where you live. I lived in Bad Homburg, 30 mins out I think, nice town but not very lively (same for any German town during the week). Its a Kurstadt with nice parks, wellness centers, good restaurants and some good bars. It's really what you make of it, integrate with the locals and you'll have a blast. I had good fun there, got on well with a Greek guy that owns the pool hall (had my own private bar stool that had to be vacated when I came in :D), went Apple picking with a lad that owned a bar for making his Apfelwein, had a blast with the Lebanese/Turks when Champions League was on, etc.

Mainz and Weisbaden would be better options for cities in terms of living. Mainz has a large uni, Weisbaden is a pretty city.

Best option would be to sublet a place for a few months and get to know the city and the areas. When I was living there we founded the Sarsfield GAA club, but it only lasted a year or 2. I heard they tried getting it up and running again recently so they might be having meetups. Good place to get current info about where to live and vacant apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I was there a shortwhile......

Wouldnt think sachsenhausen is nice to live in, thought it was a sh*thole to be honest......

Bornheim was my favourite part of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Frankfurt in Germany terms is very expensive and tbh a bit of a dump.

If your work is near the Train station I'd look at living somewhere else, the Train here is great :)

Your job will probably do a monthly deal for a travel pass also, ours is around 38 euros a month for all of Dusseldorf during peak hours and outside peak it extends to most of Nord-Rhein Westfalen.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

Excellent, so my list is looking like Bornheim, Wiesbaden and Mainz. I've been in Frankfurt a few times and was never overly impressed so I'm fairly ok with living a bit outside. I need to give the relocation company an idea of the areas I'm interested in.

I'll enquire about the travel passes - I live in Stockholm right now and 100% rely on public transport (which actually works) so I'd planned to do the same in Frankfurt.

Advertisement