Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin marathon diary

• 15-05-2013 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Running for about two years on and off now, enjoy reading the logs on here so said i would start my own.

Last year training was poor prob running 2 or 3 times a week with very few long runs ran 2 10ks and 2 half marathons pbs were 38:29 and 1hr 32. Stopped running in sept.

This year ive taken it a lot more seriously with the aim of doing the dublin marathon, running most days, training smarter, and cutting down on drinking. Ran the wexford half in 1:22 and ran a 10k in 37:12. Still think i can make some improvements so all advice welcome...

This week so far
    Sun 14m @7:16
    Mon 4m @8:10(recovery)
    Tues vo2 max 2m w/u 2m @5:43 4min rec 4 by 1m 5:41 5:40 5:40 5:40 3min rec 1m w/d.

Am gonna follow the mc millan 10k program and race as much as possible then start an 18 week marathon plan.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Hey, best of luck with your marathon goal. They are solid half and 10k times. Have you a time in mind for Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭nobody told me

Hey, best of luck with your marathon goal. They are solid half and 10k times. Have you a time in mind for Dublin?

If i got a good summer at it with no injuries id love to be somewhere around 2:50 long way off that now but its a good bit away yet. U ran sub 3 first time if memory serves correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Will follow this with interest. I'm loving your speed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

If i got a good summer at it with no injuries id love to be somewhere around 2:50 long way off that now but its a good bit away yet. U ran sub 3 first time if memory serves correct?

I scraped in under 3 hours yeah! Thats a hefty goal for your first marathon, looks like you have the speed for it though and you have plenty of time to train. I like the idea of doing a good 10k program before moving into marathon training. Sounds like a good progression - get the speed then add the endurance. I'll be hoping to join you at around the 2:50 mark if I can get through the summer, as you were saying yourself. Best of luck, I'll be following with interest.

Wed 5m @8:10 (recovery)
    Thurs 12.35m @7:24
    Going to run the terenure 5 mile this sun so will take it easy till then. Ran a local 5mile last year in 31:29 so should have a new pb sunday afternoon!

• Advertisement

Fri off
    Sat 3m with a few strides.
    Sun terenure 5 mile 28:54. Delighted to get under 29 and a big improvement on my last 5 mile which is encouraging. Ran the first mile a bit quick in 5:30 but other than that happy with how I raced as only a few people passed me. Had a good sprint finish with a lad at the end and beat him. Hopefully more to come.

Mon 5m @8:16 (recovery) this was also used to sweat sundays beer out of my system.

Tues 7m @7:22. Legs feel in good shape after the race another easy day tomorrow then a 6 mile tempo for thurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

That's some talent you have there! Will be following your progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

beer, pacey and a relaxed approach to training..... welcome :cool:

Thanks Gavlor!

• Advertisement

Wed 7m easy with a few strides @7:29. was wrecked heading out for this but once i got going it was great too be out, endorphins.

Thurs 9m @ 6:29. 2m w/u 6m tempo splits 6:09 6:12 6:13 6:00 6:01 5:54. Into the wind for the first 3 tried not to increase the effort just run comfortably hard. 1m warm down. Easy run tomorrow then a long run sat, prob take sunday off.

Fri 4m @8:07 (recovery) this was meant to be an easy run but the legs were pretty tired so just plodded round for half an hour.

Sat 17m @7:03 up at 6 to get this done was absolutely deadly not a sinner round just me and the roads. Didnt look at the watch till 14 miles and was suprised at the pace so kept it up till the end last 3 miles were all round 6:45 and while the effort was going up felt i could do a few more.

Just shy of 60 miles for the week which is the most ive ever done. Will attempt mc millans 3 by 2m later in the week. Would it be alright to do a tempo as well this week or would that be too much?

Sun off
    Mon 6m @7:14

Might head up to dublin on sat to do a parkrun, havent ran a 5k before.

Tues 9m @ 7:15 lovely run tried out a new route didn't think it was this long.

Wed 3 by 2m @10k pace. 2m w/u splits were 5:40 5:41 5:37 done with a 4 minute recovery 15 mins cool down. First one was ok second I started out too quick and really had to hang in. Last one didn't look at the watch at all. Very tough session, want to get it done once more before the dunshaughlin 10k, maybe with 3 minute recovery to make it tougher.

Thurs 5m recovery @8:17
    Fri 7m @ 7:40
    Sat off
    Sun sacre coure boxing club 6k race 21:41. Fairly disappointed with this time had thought under 21 was feasible but I just didn't have it in me today.

Went for a long run about an hour after the race and thought about the race 3 things stood out to me, 1) diet needs to improve need to lose about 7lb. 2) I was on the beer last wknd for two days that needs to be cut out. 3) Maybe I hadn't recovered from the tough interval session I did Wednesday. All that in 11 miles @7:28!

Mon off. Dying.
    Tues 6m @7:50

Wed 2m w/u 10 x 400 splits were 78,77,76,77,75,77,77,77,75,76. 200m recovery between each 1m w/d. Have never done intervals this short before so didnt know what time i should be doing them in so put my recent 5m time into the mc millan calculator that said between 76 and 80. Really not used to running at this pace.

Thurs 7m easy, legs a bit tired starting off but loosened up after a mile or two, some weather.

Nice splits. Consistent.

Nice splits. Consistent.

Theyre tough going at that pace! Well done on the recent 10k whats the next race?

6m @6:50 meant to do 5 mile tempo but legs werent up to it, dont think the head was either managed two miles then left it at that.

• Advertisement

Sat off. Away for the day
    Sun 14m @7:28. Started out slow and gradually picked up the pace. It's tougher running in this heat! Straight into the sea to swim for half an hour afterwards to cool down, was deadly.

Mon 5m recovery
    Tues 7m easy
    Wed 12m
    Thurs 5m recovery
    6 mile tempo planned for tomorrow that I backed out of doing last week. Signed up for the dunshaughlin 10k next week, looking forward to it.

Fri off. Couldn't get out to do anything decent in the wind and rain.
    Sat 2m w/u 5m tempo 1m c/d. Splits were 6:11 6:13 6:08 6:04 5:59. Felt good after the first two miles. Love this type of run. Pm 3m recovery just to loosen the legs as I was doing a long run on Sunday.
    Sun 15m @7:28, was pretty tired coming to the end of this.

Mon 40 min recovery
    Tues 6 miles @ 7:20
    Wed just a small session 3 x 1k with 1 min recovery splits 5:39 5:40 5:40, didnt feel great doing them.
    Thurs 5m 7:40
    Fri off. Heading to dunshaughlin tomorrow for the 10k not sure what time to expect hopefully low 36.

Dunshaughlin 10k, made the journey up from wexford for this one got there in plenty of time and got a good warm up done.Started lashing rain just as we were off and there was a strange moment where a guy taking photos never got out of the way and got burst to the ground, hope he was ok.

Anyway the race the plan was not to go off too hard the first mile get into a rhythm mile one and two were 5:48 5:47, couldnt believe that my breathing was so controlled and i felt good, next two miles were 5:46 5:43.

Mile 5 was my slowest mile it was a slight drag uphill into the wind 5:58, that gave me a shock i picked it up again mile 6 was in 5:48 with the final .22 in 5:28 to cross the line in 36:07. I must have passed 30 people through the last 3 miles and i think this gives you great confidence. 1min 05 pb so delighted ill be back next year for sub 35.:D

Sun 5m recovery legs felt grand. Starting P+D 18 week plan for the marathon tomorrow, cant wait. Onwards and upwards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Dunshaughlin 10k, made the journey up from wexford for this one got there in plenty of time and got a good warm up done.Started lashing rain just as we were off and there was a strange moment where a guy taking photos never got out of the way and got burst to the ground, hope he was ok.

Anyway the race the plan was not to go off too hard the first mile get into a rhythm mile one and two were 5:48 5:47, couldnt believe that my breathing was so controlled and i felt good, next two miles were 5:46 5:43.

Mile 5 was my slowest mile it was a slight drag uphill into the wind 5:58, that gave me a shock i picked it up again mile 6 was in 5:48 with the final .22 in 5:28 to cross the line in 36:07. I must have passed 30 people through the last 3 miles and i think this gives you great confidence. 1min 05 pb so delighted ill be back next year for sub 35.:D

Sun 5m recovery legs felt grand. Starting P+D 18 week plan for the marathon tomorrow, cant wait. Onwards and upwards!

Super running

Start of P+D 18 week marathon plan today
    Mon 5m recovery. This marathon training is handy tack:).

Tues first tough session in the plan 9m with 4 at 15k pace. First 5 miles were at 7:30 splits for faster paces were, 6:15 6:09 6:02 6:05 did a 1 mile cool down

Wed 12m medium long run @7:08 got a new pair of saucony triumph and felt like I was bouncing along.

Thurs 5m recovery
    Fri 10m easy 7:29
    Sat 17m lsr 7:19, started out slow to let the legs loosen out but once i got going i felt good ran the last mile at MP was pretty tough! Relax now for the day, great sport on and then up to croke park tomorrow to watch wexford hammer meath:D

• Advertisement

Sun 4.5m recovery
    Mon off. Could barely get out of bed never mind go for a run!
    Tues 8m with strides 7:24.
    Have a couple of things on the next few wknds hopefully won't interfere with training too much.

Advertisement