Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin marathon diary

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭nobody told me

Wed 13m @6:57
    Thurs 5.5m recovery 8:07. Did an hour of stretching strength and core after this. Sweating like josef fritzl on an episode of cribs in this weather.

Fri 11m @ 7:24
    Sat 16m, 7m easy @7:33 7m @MP splits were 6:33 6:26 6:28 6:29 6:30 6:32 6:36, 2m easy. Tough tough workout hopefully it will bring me on as i felt i was just hanging on at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

That's great running!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Looks like your well on track so far. Keep it up, good stuff.

Sun off. Out sat night and all day Sunday so a recovery run missed, not so bad.
    Mon 6m 7:33
    Tues 10m 6:51, 3m @7:16 7:13 7:16 5m @15k pace 6:09 6:07 6:04 6:03 6:07 2m c/d 8:14 8:02. Reckon this is the closest ill ever get to warm weather training. Swim in the sea straight after to cool down.

• Advertisement

Tues 14.35m @7:11. Was tired by the end of this, put it down to the heat/dehydration.

My last post was Wednesdays run, the heat must be affecting my brain!
    Thurs 6m recovery
    Fri 3m 7:40 pace meant to be 12m but I was absolutely wrecked after 3 so called it a night.
    Sat off
    Sun off
    Up in Dublin for the concerts in the Phoenix park thought I could have got a long run in, didn't work out.
    Mon 5m @ 7:30
    Tues 9m @ 7:18 with 8 strides.
    Had been trying to follow the 70-85 plan but its too much for me I've only been hitting 50 the odd week before I started the plan. Will change to the 55-70, badly need a sports massage as well don't think I've had one since march.

I had to do the same. Needed to take a few days off after following the 55-70 for 3 weeks and am now going to use the up to 55 plan.

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    I had to do the same. Needed to take a few days off after following the 55-70 for 3 weeks and am now going to use the up to 55 plan.

Ye I felt that I was handling it grand then it was like I hit a wall, was becoming a chore to get out the door and that's not what I want so early. Happy now it's not just me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Just picking up on your log here. Great going so far. I've a similar marathon goal to you, so might check in from time to time to see what you're up to. Has the P&D plan got that 16 miles with 7 at MP so early on in the plan, or did you just want to give it a belt? Great session this far out from marathon, think its time I got on my bike and started more marathon-specific work looking at that!

• Advertisement

Ye I felt that I was handling it grand then it was like I hit a wall, was becoming a chore to get out the door and that's not what I want so early. Happy now it's not just me!!

I had the very same experience. Will watch how your change goes and let you know the effect it has on me. Happy running.

Just picking up on your log here. Great going so far. I've a similar marathon goal to you, so might check in from time to time to see what you're up to. Has the P&D plan got that 16 miles with 7 at MP so early on in the plan, or did you just want to give it a belt? Great session this far out from marathon, think its time I got on my bike and started more marathon-specific work looking at that!

Hi run forest run
    Ye it has, actually was 17m with 8 at mp!! I had done 12m the day before and legs were a bit tired so changed it a bit. Next week has 18 with 10 at mp. You can see why they are so important in marathon training as its one of the toughest runs I've ever done. I think in my midweek longruns if I feel ok I'm going to add in a few mp miles just 3 or 4 can do no harm. Will keep an eye on your log.

Cheers. Yeah, I've just been throwing in 4-5 MP miles in some of the 10-12 mile runs so far, was going to wait until August before doing any more of that. I've previously done 21 miles with 13/14 at MP, but obviously would take a while to build up to something like that. Maybe I'll throw myself into complete marathon training a few weeks earlier than planned. Have built a good base over the past while so may get on with the hard stuff. Thanks.

Wed 14m @ 7:24. Left it till 9 to head out to avoid the heat so had my dinner rumbling round in my stomach for the first few miles ok after that.
    Thurs 5m recovery 8:15

Fri 11m 7:10
    Sat off
    Sun 18m @ 7:25, this is the furthest I've ever ran, will be saying that a bit more now I guess:-)
    Mon 5m recovery

Tues off
    Wed off
    Out of work sick with a vomiting bug. Rarely get sick, horrible stuff just totally drained.
    Thurs 13.5 miles @ 7:10, felt great heading out first few miles flew by got tired at the end of it.

Im not saying your not but make sure your fuelling for that type of Milage! I thought I was but I really wasn't. I use plant based organic stuff now it's not pizza or Indian but it helps keep the above from happening. BTW the 55 week plan was way to easy so I have still being trying to hit the Milage on the 55-70.

Im not saying your not but make sure your fuelling for that type of Milage! I thought I was but I really wasn't. I use plant based organic stuff now it's not pizza or Indian but it helps keep the above from happening. BTW the 55 week plan was way to easy so I have still being trying to hit the Milage on the 55-70.

No your right, my diet is pretty bad it's something I need to address big time. What would your diet look like these days if you don't mind me asking?

Ive been thinking about doing this for someone else. I dont get sick and if i do i bounce back very fast in hours.

6am juices

Water

2-4 shots of wheatgrass

Water acctually 2-4oz 15-30 minutes the entire day

6:30am

Beet root, carrot, apple and ginger with two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.

I use an masticating juicer. All nutrition with the pulp.

7am

Homemade latte

8:30am breakfast

Bowl of Muesli plus banana

1pm lunch

Wholemeal pita (sprouts e.g. Alfalfa, broccoli, mung and clover) lettuce, beet root and tamatto with organic mayo and mango chutney. Topped off with apple.

4:30pm training food

Chia bia seeds and water

Mix of nuts and dried fruit (organic) sometimes with whole meal bagel and peanut butter or if im running hard pasta or rice with chicken tamatto sauce. Normally with banana. Did I mention I'm very thin.

I generally train in between this and dinner.

8pm dinner

Dinner, I like anything pasta with some meats chicken beast. Normally a whole dinner could be anything but it could range from steaks to ham, chicken with all the trimmings lots of broccoli.

Orange ( always top meal with fruit.)

Final juice spinach, Clery, cucumber, apple, kiwi, ginger. I chew raw turmeric root after this.

Always drinking water all day long.

I like rubbish too like Indian, pizza or taco fries over the weekend. When I get really tired its cholesterol muffins or kindo beuno.

Now life sometimes calls for curries mid week when busy life prevents cooking. But generally the main is very much everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Ive been thinking about doing this for someone else. I dont get sick and if i do i bounce back very fast in hours.

6am juices

Water

2-4 shots of wheatgrass

Beet root, carrot, apple and ginger with two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.

7am

Homemade latte

1pm lunch

Wholemeal pita (sprouts e.g. Alfalfa, broccoli, mung and clover) lettuce, beet root and tamatto with organic mayo and mango chutney. Topped off with apple.

Chia bia seeds and water

Mix of nuts and dried fruit (organic) sometimes with whole meal bagel and peanut butter or if im running hard pasta or rice with chicken tamatto sauce. Normally with banana. Did I mention I'm very thin.

8pm dinner

Dinner, I like anything pasta with some meats chicken beast. Normally a whole dinner could be anything but it could range from steaks to ham, chicken with all the trimmings lots of broccoli.

Final juice spinach, Clery, cucumber, apple, kiwi, ginger. I chew raw turmeric root after this.

I like rubbish too like Indian, pizza or taco fries over the weekend. When I get really tired its cholesterol muffins or kindo beuno.

Now life sometimes calls for curries mid week when busy life prevents cooking. But generally the main is very much everyday.

That's mental!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

chicken beast
    gamey

Gavlor wrote: »
    That's mental!

Took a long time introducing must of that, years.

I forgot a few things likes peas and beans e.g, chickpea, kidney etc. I take a supplement called MorEPA which is my omegas.

I nearly went all Scot Jurek but I couldn't give up the meat.

gamey

I run it down till it drops dead....

6am juices

Water

2-4 shots of wheatgrass

7am

Homemade latte

1pm lunch

Chia bia seeds and water

8pm dinner

Thanks for the detailed reply. Like you say that's built up over years but its pretty impressive. Made me think about a few things anyway.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Like you say that's built up over years but its pretty impressive. Made me think about a few things anyway.

No Problem hope it helps. Now my problem is becoming a good runner and staying injury free. Enjoy your training!

So im moving to london in just about 7 weeks, so im not sure if ill be coming back for the marathon. My next race will be the 10 mile in phoenix park so ill be basing my training round that for the next few weeks.
    Fri 26th 5m recovery
    Sat 27th 6m easy
    Sun 28th 13m with 4m @mp 6:35 6:34 6:34 6:40
    Mon 29th 4m recovery
    Tues 6.22m easy
    Wed 10m 7x1m one minute recovery @10m pace all between 5:54 and 6:03
    Thurs 6m easy
    Fri 13m medium long run
    Sat Hill repeats 6 x 0.25miles @5:30 pace, 6 miles overall. Good weeks running best ive had in a while long run early tomorrow before heading off to croker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

It would be a shame to do all that training and have no marathon at the end. If you can get back, great. If you can't I'm sure there will be a marathon within travelling distance of London around that time. Best of luck with the move.

Think Luton or somewhere like that has a low key enough marathon in November if that interests you..

So in between moving to london i stopped updating this as i hadnt the time, settled in now so ill keep it updated. Ended up doing the marathon, ran 2:55 which i was happy with. Training was good from the frank duffy 10mile onwards with 45-55 miles per week with two 70 mile weeks thrown in didnt really follow a plan just made it up as i went along. I have already signed up for rotterdam in the spring.

I attempted to follow p+ds 70-85 mile a week plan for dcm but i just wasnt able for it, its obvious to me now that i hadnt any sort of base built up. So after some stellar advice thats my intention for the next while, to build a base. 80 mile weeks is what im after, lets do this!

• Advertisement

Not much running last week a few easy runs. Try to get back to it this week
    Mon 6m @7:18
    Tues 6.5m @7:35 inc 6x10 sec uphill
    Wed 7m @7:04 inc 6m @6:56

Advertisement