Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Athens to Cairo

• 15-05-2013 2:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭

Hey,

I have been recently thrashing around a few ideas in my head for a trip and one that came to mind was to try and travel from Athens to Cairo through Turkey, Israel etc. I know there will be countless stumbling blocks, most notably country relations and border disputes, but I thought I would at least try and put it together. I can't really find any decent info of anyone who has done something similar on the net. Firstly I have done lots of travelling before and I would probably be looking at 3-4 weeks away. I really want to see Athens, Istanbul, Israel (Jerusalem, Tel-Aviv etc.), Petra, The Pyramids in Giza, Alexandria and maybe Luxor. That probably sounds like a lot and infeasible. I was trying to see as much of the ancient world as possible and I had thought about trying to visit Rhodes, Olympia, Troy, Ephese and Halicarnasse as well but I presume that these places are in ruins anyway and not worth the effort on such a small trip. Has anyone did something like this before. I would prefer to bus/boat as much of the trip as possible but probably taking a flight from Istanbul to Israel would be a wise choice. Anybody got any tips or advice?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Istanbul to Cairo is a fairly well worn backpacker trail (think Lonely Planet have a guidebook devoted solely to it). http://wikitravel.org/en/From_Istanbul_to_Cairo

3-4 weeks doesn't sound like a lot of time. You could easily spend the 3 weeks in each country so I think you may have to economise. Out of those countries you've mentioned I've only been to Egypt and Greece so with your time constraints I would skip Alexandria and concentrate on Cairo and Luxor.

Greece is fantastic for ruins but may be a bit too much on this holiday. i would save it for another time and do the Istanbul to Cairo trip instead. Olympia and Rhodes are great, yes there're in ruins but still spectacular as is Knossos on Crete.

I spend some time a few years ago planning a trip to Turkey which fell through but I had 10 days earmarked to travel from Istanbul through Troy, Gallipoli, Epheuses etc into Syria and fly home from Damasacus.

I'm extremely jealous, would love to do this trip but waiting for the situation in Syria to calm down first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mectavba

Unfortunately, the situation in Syria makes this a non-runner overland.

3-4 weeks isn't really a lot of time to do all of this.

I was in Jordan and Egypt last year and spent 5 weeks between them. I did spend a week in Dahab on the coast learning to scuba dive. So in 4 weeks you could do Jordan and Egypt. I can't recommend Jordan enough. For such a small country there is so much. Petra is the most amazing place I have been. I could write a lot more but I have a blog from my trip here, which might give you some more ideas and a flavour of what you could do.

http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/pinchy85/Trips/22672

Advertisement